Curado K or Chronarch G?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado K or Chronarch G?

Post by reason162 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 am

Looking for a saltwater kayak reel to handle 1/2 to 1oz jigs/plugs, the K looks like the "stronger" reel but the lightweight G is enticing.

Which reel would you choose for big fish/locked down drag fishing? Which would you use for flipping/frogging in slop?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado K or Chronarch G?

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 am

I have no experience with the Chronarch G, but I have had some time with the Chronarch MGL. Wasn't a huge fan of it. Great quality and very smooth, but I didn't like how noisy the reel was on the cast. To my understanding, the G is very close to the same reel with a different spool and some minor changes to allow saltwater usage.

The Curado K is a beast. I've been through it top to bottom and the build quality is great. Tank like. Bigger paddle knobs and a deep spool. Its really not as heavy as you would think. I'm used to 6.5 ounce reels all day, but this is around 7.6 I believe. Only an ounce difference.

I have no doubt the G can handle just about anything, but I would rather have the beefier K for what you described. I really like mine. I have sold or traded every Shimano off that isn't a 100D series or 50E series reel. The exception so far is the Curado K. I don't foresee getting rid of it anytime soon.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 am

rockchalk06 wrote:The exception so far is the Curado K. I don't foresee getting rid of it anytime soon.
This is how I'm leaning as well...I have the rod (expride 6'8MH), but no reel yet since I can't find the K anywhere in stock! How'd you get yours?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 am

reason162 wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:The exception so far is the Curado K. I don't foresee getting rid of it anytime soon.
This is how I'm leaning as well...I have the rod (expride 6'8MH), but no reel yet since I can't find the K anywhere in stock! How'd you get yours?
I got mine from BBC (Bass Boat Central) forums in the classifieds section. It was new in box. I got in on the pre-order at the Tackle Trap, but this came along sooner. My guess is Shimano is shipping out small lots to certain retailers. Tackle Warehouse had a bunch come in and filled several pre-orders, but sold out quick. Their website shows out of stock, but it may be worth a call.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Had a Chronarch MGL and returned it. The Curado K I got recently and I like it much better. Used a little today and compared it to the 70 and it can do everything the 70 does, but feels so much more smooth and refined. As stated previously, feels like a tank. A buttery, powerful tank!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Had a Chronarch MGL and returned it. The Curado K I got recently and I like it much better. Used a little today and compared it to the 70 and it can do everything the 70 does, but feels so much more smooth and refined. As stated previously, feels like a tank. A buttery, powerful tank!
Nice! That's what I like to hear...sounds perfect for my applications on the kayak.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 am

I'm starting to think I am going to pass on the Chronarch MGL, might try my first Shimano as a Curado K and put it on a heavier duty casting combo. I really wanted a finesse casting reel different than my normal brand, but I just see so many posts of people returning the ChronMGL or having negative words toward it.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 am

reason162 wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:Had a Chronarch MGL and returned it. The Curado K I got recently and I like it much better. Used a little today and compared it to the 70 and it can do everything the 70 does, but feels so much more smooth and refined. As stated previously, feels like a tank. A buttery, powerful tank!
Nice! That's what I like to hear...sounds perfect for my applications on the kayak.

Something else to think about, I fish out of my Kayak on occasion and no matter how careful I am, I always end up buggering up a reel. I'd feel better about banging up a 170 dollar reel than a 250 dollar reel.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm starting to think I am going to pass on the Chronarch MGL, might try my first Shimano as a Curado K and put it on a heavier duty casting combo. I really wanted a finesse casting reel different than my normal brand, but I just see so many posts of people returning the ChronMGL or having negative words toward it.

Other than the noise it made on the cast, I really didn't have much of a b*tch with mine. The SVS dial was kinda like a wort on a hot chick, but it wasn't too tight and made an audible click when turned. I don't think I could have made that sound any more dirtier while not trying :big grin:

The brass main gear was very quite and the reel was very smooth. I just couldn't get used to the noise.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:33 am

rockchalk06 wrote:Something else to think about, I fish out of my Kayak on occasion and no matter how careful I am, I always end up buggering up a reel. I'd feel better about banging up a 170 dollar reel than a 250 dollar reel.
Forget banging up, I flipped for the first time a month ago, lost 2 setups including my sv103...now I have them bungeed down in the rod holder when launching, still couldn't use a rod leash but at least they have seatbelts for takeoff/landing!

grkbass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by grkbass » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 am

I don't have any experience with the new Curado, but I do have a Chronarch MGL and absolutely love it. It's my dedicated jig reel. Most of the jigs I fish are 1/2-3/4 oz. I know that many people have had complaints about the Chronarch, but I am not one of them. It handles heavier baits without a problem and casts a country mile.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 am

reason162 wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:Something else to think about, I fish out of my Kayak on occasion and no matter how careful I am, I always end up buggering up a reel. I'd feel better about banging up a 170 dollar reel than a 250 dollar reel.
Forget banging up, I flipped for the first time a month ago, lost 2 setups including my sv103...now I have them bungeed down in the rod holder when launching, still couldn't use a rod leash but at least they have seatbelts for takeoff/landing!

Damn man. Sorry to hear that.

I bungie mine down as well. Never turned it over (knock on wood) but I have came close. I only use my 6'9" sticks in my kayak and lay them all on the deck. Rods in covers with tip protectors and bungie them down when rowing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I'm starting to think I am going to pass on the Chronarch MGL, might try my first Shimano as a Curado K and put it on a heavier duty casting combo. I really wanted a finesse casting reel different than my normal brand, but I just see so many posts of people returning the ChronMGL or having negative words toward it.

Other than the noise it made on the cast, I really didn't have much of a b*tch with mine. The SVS dial was kinda like a wort on a hot chick, but it wasn't too tight and made an audible click when turned. I don't think I could have made that sound any more dirtier while not trying :big grin:

The brass main gear was very quite and the reel was very smooth. I just couldn't get used to the noise.
Ohh well I don't mind casting noise, no big deal to me. How did it cast lighter weighted lures???

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Lowest I went was 1/8 oz tungsten weight with a 7" culprit worm. So maybe just over 1/4 oz? It did pretty well. I used 10# Senshi mono and 30# J-Braid. The J-Braid was easier to manage, but both were nice. Never tried fluoro on it though.

The spool is a hot rod. Bearings looked like the darker JDM bearings to me. They were smoking after flush and lite oil. I don't know how low you can go with it, but I went up to 3/4 total weight and it did just fine too.

I don't claim to know what material the frame is made of, but I felt zero flex when I really wrenched on it. More so than I'd ever do with a fish. Never felt geary either.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm

The Chronarch MGL I had did a weird hiccup/grind a couple times on the retrieve the first time I had it out, but only maybe twice? Then never did it again. Had it about a week and went out two times with it. Aside from that, the longer shape of it I didn't like. It sits low, but is longer overall and the front forces my index finger to rub on the foregrip/nut in a way that bothered me. That weird hiccup of the gears or the clutch really bothered me, though.

The Curado is the perfect size in my opinion, and my finger tucks in the front perfectly. I could see some being annoyed by the movement of the line guide back and forth if you really tuck it in there, but that doesn't bother me. It feels solid and the retrieve is dreamy. I really think Shimano has a winner here, but time will certainly tell!