Curado K - multi piece frame

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Curado K - multi piece frame

Post by Slazmo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 pm

While the Curado K has been out for a few weeks now and the overall hype has died off and YouTube is flooding with so called "review's", where guys seem to be hyperventilating on the looks and smoothness without too much else - I finally put eyes on one myself yesterday.

Now while I haven't seen inside one myself - I did notice a few things while I visually looked over the reel.

1 - looks like a multi piece frame, where the frame is one piece and other pieces are bolted onto, this due to some weird lines and what looked like plastic'y attached parts on the shoulders of where the spool is.

2 - found a schematic on Shimano Australia website - confirming that the frame is solid and the outer pieces are attached to its exterior via a multitude of screws. Similar to a few other reels eg: Daiwa’s Z2020 & 200 amongst quiet a few others.

3 - the areas covered by these cowling's can and will trap pond scum and salt due to the nature of the design and the rotational spin flinging off the saltwater off the reel...

4 - more unnecessary parts to remove, more screws to strip and points of anodic reaction. Understanding the front has always been removable...

5 - plus side if top of reel is scratched; can be removed and replaced.

Parts highlighted in orange are the removable outer parts and in blue are where they are seated.

I think it's an unnecessary design and possibly future issue of corrosion can occur especially those that don't look after their gear.

Thoughts on this?
Attachments
20170812_123119-268x357.png
20170812_123119-268x357.png (82.48 KiB) Viewed 7615 times
Last edited by Slazmo on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado K - multi piece frame

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

shouldnt be an issue, the older shimano reels ie antares were like this.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:shouldnt be an issue, the older shimano reels ie antares were like this.

I agree. Many of the older Shimano reels were like this. Calais 100A and 200, as well as the DC. Made them easier to clean more thoroughly. Yes there will be those that don't take care of their reels, so whichever model they go with, there will be issues.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:37 am

Zimbass wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Made them easier to clean more thoroughly.
I don't follow? This new particular reel has 5 pieces over the old 4 pieces.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 am

Zimbass wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:shouldnt be an issue, the older shimano reels ie antares were like this.

I agree. Many of the older Shimano reels were like this. Calais 100A and 200, as well as the DC. Made them easier to clean more thoroughly. Yes there will be those that don't take care of their reels, so whichever model they go with, there will be issues.
Easier to clean? Man those things are a pain in the arse to work on. :lol: I charge people more with those reels. I know, I own one. ](*,)
<")))><{

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Easier to clean in that the reel is more exposed !!

Never said it was less work :)

I have more than a dozen of the old Calais' which take me a bit longer to breakdown, but, not that much longer.
If the K is anything like those oldies, it will be a winner.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Tons of reels have that separate chin piece covering the worm.

That hood piece while a pain doesn't hurt anything.

It's a pain if different screws are used....upping the fastener count is always crap....especially if different threads or sizes.

I've been putting some time on one. So far it's a nice reel. Nothing otherwordly. And nothing that screams daiwa killler or performs above it's price range.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:Tons of reels have that separate chin piece covering the worm.

Yeh shouldn't have circled the chin / line guide guard. That top piece i wobder if its Ci4 or XTG7 graphite as the side gearbox cover is now Ci4+?

Question begs.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 am

Slazmo wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:Tons of reels have that separate chin piece covering the worm.

Yeh shouldn't have circled the chin / line guide guard. That top piece i wobder if its Ci4 or XTG7 graphite as the side gearbox cover is now Ci4+?

Question begs.
Tell ya what..the top plate on the antares is pretty damn heavy.

Feels heavier than aluminum

either way they serve no other benefit other than cosmetics.

The steez's cowls of the frame are built in to the frame.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 am

This is weird, I searched Curado K, looking for this post and the one about the plastic levelwind... The one concerning the levelwind says I am not allowed to view it, and I also feel like a first look showing the parts has been removed from the main site. I got to arguing on youtube and was hoping to show someone the truth... I also explained to them that these construction factors have yielded NO failures.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 am

DirtyD64 wrote:This is weird, I searched Curado K, looking for this post and the one about the plastic levelwind... The one concerning the levelwind says I am not allowed to view it, and I also feel like a first look showing the parts has been removed from the main site. I got to arguing on youtube and was hoping to show someone the truth... I also explained to them that these construction factors have yielded NO failures.
If you want those pictures, you can PM me. The thread got deleted. The goal was achieved.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:This is weird, I searched Curado K, looking for this post and the one about the plastic levelwind... The one concerning the levelwind says I am not allowed to view it, and I also feel like a first look showing the parts has been removed from the main site. I got to arguing on youtube and was hoping to show someone the truth... I also explained to them that these construction factors have yielded NO failures.
If you want those pictures, you can PM me. The thread got deleted. The goal was achieved.
What was the goal??? No its okay, just some kid claimed he knew engineering and aggravated me. Said his friend had 30 Metaniums and the Curado K was just as good. He also said I didn't know what I was talking about concerning a plastic levelwind and it just trolled me pretty hard. Nonetheless he went on to say the forums are BS and I don't think this guy/kid realizes we have people like Bantam who immediately help answer our questions and serve as a very handy direct link between consumers/manufacturers. Sad to see people don't actually understand how much help is really available here.

But yeah, why did it get deleted? And what was achieved from it???

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 pm

I received an early order 200K HG model a few weeks ago and am really impressed by the reel. It is not as difficult to break down as my 1st generation Calais and really isn't an issue for me. In fact it was easier than my Core 100/D7 reels which require long reach drivers to access hardware.

The K has some nice features like a bearing outboard of the roller bearing on the main shaft, it has the option to replace knob bushings with bearings (4 of them) and a swap with the same size bearing on the level wind. It feels really smooth to me and casting is reasonable, I feel comfy throwing stuff >3/8 oz with it. I can throw 1/4 oz but it would be a hassle to do it in windy conditions. I might be spoiled by the smaller spool sizes of most of my reels.

I will put the reel through some paces this weekend to see how it holds up to heavy braid and frogging duties. I expect no issues at all. It is really comfortable to palm and is the best Curado to date in my opinion. I think the reel is a home run for Shimano based on performance and value.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

egore1 wrote: It is not as difficult to break down as my 1st generation Calais and really isn't an issue for me. In fact it was easier than my Core 100/D7 reels which require long reach drivers to access hardware.
This is true - long reach drivers are a pain and the holes they leave in the frames can allow water, dust and other abrasives into the critical areas, the hidden screws for the outboard cover plates is another idea I like also with the K.

However going back from older models with semi concealed frames, this comes to mind. Salt buildup especially over here with our environmental exposures and they being usually at the extreme ends at the best of times - salt and gunk growing under plastic cowlings is another grave concern.
imgshimanocurado9.jpg
imgshimanocurado9.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 6929 times
egore1 wrote:The K has some nice features like a bearing outboard of the roller bearing on the main shaft, it has the option to replace knob bushings with bearings (4 of them) and a swap with the same size bearing on the level wind.
Bearing outboard of the AR bearing is a good step in the right direction absolutely! Knob bushings yeh that has been done for as long as I can remember. The level wind bearing is another upgrade however only one, its 2017 - should be a two bearing support option by now - even with the plastic levelwind and pawl... 8-[
egore1 wrote: It is really comfortable to palm and is the best Curado to date in my opinion. I think the reel is a home run for Shimano based on performance and value.
Thats a pretty big statement - the E and others in the past have been workhorses, that only attainable over the years of use and abuse and online cred - too soon to call the latest offering anything other than exactly that.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Slazmo wrote:
egore1 wrote: It is not as difficult to break down as my 1st generation Calais and really isn't an issue for me. In fact it was easier than my Core 100/D7 reels which require long reach drivers to access hardware.
This is true - long reach drivers are a pain and the holes they leave in the frames can allow water, dust and other abrasives into the critical areas, the hidden screws for the outboard cover plates is another idea I like also with the K.

However going back from older models with semi concealed frames, this comes to mind. Salt buildup especially over here with our environmental exposures and they being usually at the extreme ends at the best of times - salt and gunk growing under plastic cowlings is another grave concern.
imgshimanocurado9.jpg
egore1 wrote:The K has some nice features like a bearing outboard of the roller bearing on the main shaft, it has the option to replace knob bushings with bearings (4 of them) and a swap with the same size bearing on the level wind.
Bearing outboard of the AR bearing is a good step in the right direction absolutely! Knob bushings yeh that has been done for as long as I can remember. The level wind bearing is another upgrade however only one, its 2017 - should be a two bearing support option by now - even with the plastic levelwind and pawl... 8-[
egore1 wrote: It is really comfortable to palm and is the best Curado to date in my opinion. I think the reel is a home run for Shimano based on performance and value.
Thats a pretty big statement - the E and others in the past have been workhorses, that only attainable over the years of use and abuse and online cred - too soon to call the latest offering anything other than exactly that.
Well, I made no claim of their durability as of yet and I wonder how the plastic level wind will hold up over long term. It seems like a lot of people enjoy the 70 series which have the same design. Regarding salt issues, any reel will require service if the intent is to make it last.

The reel does perform better than older models for me based on: casting, retrieve, drag, and ergonomics. Much better than the famed E series which I never really liked all that much, tried to but the kool aid never tasted right! I really like the reel and plan on keeping it around. The price scheme is decent too in my opinion. If it dissolves into a salty mess after some abuse then it won't sting the wallet too badly.