Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Composite frames flexing? 20lb+ redfish don't even make my Chronarchs flex.

Do any companies make a cheap 50 sized reel? I just don't think the market is there.
If we dont pay attention to "line capacity" and go with the "overall size" of the reels, yes. The Korean OEMs are killing it with the "smaller" reels like the size the 50s were.
Very true, but the number(200, 150, 100, 50) describes spool size/capacity. I get what you are saying though, I guess people are fooled into thinking they need a lot of line capacity, which is why those Revos sell well. Small/comfortable reel with big line capacity.
I have noticed a popular trend of people fishing with fluorocarbon more than back in the day. Of course way back when I started fishing big, and the CU200s were the thing, there was big mono. Thicker lines need a reel with more spool area to fill. That would be my guess. 17-20lb fluoro needs a deep spool.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am

nikbrewer wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Composite frames flexing? 20lb+ redfish don't even make my Chronarchs flex.

Do any companies make a cheap 50 sized reel? I just don't think the market is there.

From my understanding, the Chronarchs are made of a different material that the casitas Not saying they flex, but some people do have their concerns. Since no one makes a cheap 50 size reel, its hard to tell is a market exists
Yes, its different.
<")))><{

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 am

And i want if exactly as i want less capasity, as well as smaller size to fit my hands better. I fish with 6-8 lbs mono, and it takes up a ton of line on a standard 100 -150 size spool

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

nikbrewer wrote:And i want if exactly as i want less capasity, as well as smaller size to fit my hands better. I fish with 6-8 lbs mono, and it takes up a ton of line on a standard 100 -150 size spool
How about filling the spool with braid as a backing? Braid dont weigh much compared to backing with mono. Fill it up as much as you need, and put a wrap of electrical tape over it. Its one option.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
nikbrewer wrote:And i want if exactly as i want less capasity, as well as smaller size to fit my hands better. I fish with 6-8 lbs mono, and it takes up a ton of line on a standard 100 -150 size spool
How about filling the spool with braid as a backing? Braid dont weigh much compared to backing with mono. Fill it up as much as you need, and put a wrap of electrical tape over it. Its one option.
Shimano made spool economisers, some reels theyre available for and the majority theyre not... To buy theyre about $3 a set (2pc) so extremely cheap to get rid of excess line on a spool.

Shame theyre not as available as they should be.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Slazmo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Shimano made spool economisers, some reels theyre available for and the majority theyre not... To buy theyre about $3 a set (2pc) so extremely cheap to get rid of excess line on a spool.

Shame theyre not as available as they should be.
No kidding. Never seen them. You got a link for any? Or pictures? Im curious as to what they were like.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Pretty simple thing overall, just have to be balanced perfectly especially those made for baitcast reels...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=shim ... 8&bih=1024

You could ditch the backing and run a straight top shot of your working end, only thing would be water creeping behind them and festering especially with our harsh saltwater climate...

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:They also dont make a $100 reel with a metal frame. Go figure that one out. :doh: One of the largest markets out there is the $100 price point.

Back in the D series day, they did make a Citica100D, and its a very sought after reel to this day. Even back then it was not really considered "budget". I have one that is new in box on my display, as well as the Curado100D. Both were great, as well as the 50Es, but with the direction Shimano seems to be going, we may never see that "greatness" again.

Now I will sit and wait for the "criticism crew". :lol:

Someone's drinking their hater juice today I see.......

You know me well enough that I speak the truth. You also know, because you too fish the oldies. So...suck it. :P

:lol:
Says the guy who just bought an Ab....... I just can't speak it lol

But seriously to the OP, The Casitas and Caenan are so close to 70 sized reels, I don't think the tooling cost to make them would be worth the cost. Are those reels really sold in high numbers compared to the Curado and Casitas?
Dude you know not to argue with deluded hypocrites... unless it's for fun lol. Only Shimano knows their sales numbers regarding their 50 platforms. I'm guessing the data probably shows that the US market isn't finesse friendly enough for it to be profitable or they are doing what all companies do, make you pay to play.

Likely the same set of data that suggests they don't sell as many left handed reels.... *cough* bullcrap *cough* :^o
1-2%

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Give the casitas MGL a shot.

I've been loving mine. Of course for that price you could find an older Aldebaran, Curado, or Scorpion, but its fun to play with shiny new things :-)