Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel?

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 am

This is just me thinking out loud really, but figure i may get some feedback.

Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel? Currently in the US line up we have the Alderbaran 50, or a Curado 70. If you go to JDM, you can get a conquest 50 as well. All of these are nice reels, but could not be classed as budget friendly (the curado 70 is not too bad though)

I see a missed opportunity in making a smaller budget based reel. Maybe something like a Castitas 70 or 50. Smaller reels, especially if you design them with shallower spools, will be mainly used for finesse applications. In these applications, the composite frame would not be such as issue as the lighter loads would cause less frame flex, and no one will be cranking big baits with these.

I am just curious if there are any plans to make more 50 sized reels int he future, or is the 50 and 70 size reels going the way of the dinosaur?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why does Shimano not produce a budget 50 size reel?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

They also dont make a $100 reel with a metal frame. Go figure that one out. :doh: One of the largest markets out there is the $100 price point.

Back in the D series day, they did make a Citica100D, and its a very sought after reel to this day. Even back then it was not really considered "budget". I have one that is new in box on my display, as well as the Curado100D. Both were great, as well as the 50Es, but with the direction Shimano seems to be going, we may never see that "greatness" again.

Now I will sit and wait for the "criticism crew". :lol:
<")))><{

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:They also dont make a $100 reel with a metal frame. Go figure that one out. :doh: One of the largest markets out there is the $100 price point.

Back in the D series day, they did make a Citica100D, and its a very sought after reel to this day. Even back then it was not really considered "budget". I have one that is new in box on my display, as well as the Curado100D. Both were great, as well as the 50Es, but with the direction Shimano seems to be going, we may never see that "greatness" again.

Someone's drinking their hater juice today I see.......

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:They also dont make a $100 reel with a metal frame. Go figure that one out. :doh: One of the largest markets out there is the $100 price point.

You know me well enough that I speak the truth. You also know, because you too fish the oldies. So...suck it. :P

:lol:
<")))><{

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

You know me well enough that I speak the truth. You also know, because you too fish the oldies. So...suck it. :P

Says the guy who just bought an Ab....... I just can't speak it lol

But seriously to the OP, The Casitas and Caenan are so close to 70 sized reels, I don't think the tooling cost to make them would be worth the cost. Are those reels really sold in high numbers compared to the Curado and Casitas?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

But seriously to the OP, The Casitas and Caenan are so close to 70 sized reels, I don't think the tooling cost to make them would be worth the cost. Are those reels really sold in high numbers compared to the Curado and Casitas?
Dude you know not to argue with deluded hypocrites... unless it's for fun lol. Only Shimano knows their sales numbers regarding their 50 platforms. I'm guessing the data probably shows that the US market isn't finesse friendly enough for it to be profitable or they are doing what all companies do, make you pay to play.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

Please excuse my ignorance but can't they use existing machinery and tooling to produce the smaller reels using inferior/ cheaper materials?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

Bootytrain wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

Dude you know not to argue with deluded hypocrites... unless it's for fun lol. Only Shimano knows their sales numbers regarding their 50 platforms. I'm guessing the data probably shows that the US market isn't finesse friendly enough for it to be profitable or they are doing what all companies do, make you pay to play.
This right here shows your colors, and what I speak of all the time. The deluded one is you Booty, because Rock is actually a good friend of mine, and he was busting my balls. But good try to cover it with an "lol".
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 am

All reel companies make and sell reels to make money, not to make anglers happy. If the profit margin isn't there for a $100 reel, they won't make it.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

This right here shows your colors, and what I speak of all the time. The deluded one is you Booty, because Rock is actually a good friend of mine, and he was busting my balls. But good try to cover it with an "lol".
It doesn't disprove anything I've said "lol".

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

I dont even know if there is away to see if there is a market. Since the cheapest small reel is the curado at $199, and some people choosing to go to a full size curado for less, you can use its sales. The Aldebaran 50 is over 400$, so its not going to sell in volume.

If they stuck to the price bump, a Casitas 50 (or 70) could sell for about $149. At that price i think a lot of people would give smaller reels a try.

I know they will never build it, or add more small reels to the mix, i just think it would be cool if they did, and i think a composite frame would suite it well. I am not a material snob, as long as they use a suitable material for the job.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

Composite frames flexing? 20lb+ redfish don't even make my Chronarchs flex.

Do any companies make a cheap 50 sized reel? I just don't think the market is there.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Composite frames flexing? 20lb+ redfish don't even make my Chronarchs flex.

Do any companies make a cheap 50 sized reel? I just don't think the market is there.
If we dont pay attention to "line capacity" and go with the "overall size" of the reels, yes. The Korean OEMs are killing it with the "smaller" reels like the size the 50s were.
<")))><{

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Composite frames flexing? 20lb+ redfish don't even make my Chronarchs flex.

From my understanding, the Chronarchs are made of a different material that the casitas Not saying they flex, but some people do have their concerns. Since no one makes a cheap 50 size reel, its hard to tell is a market exists

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:

If we dont pay attention to "line capacity" and go with the "overall size" of the reels, yes. The Korean OEMs are killing it with the "smaller" reels like the size the 50s were.
Very true, but the number(200, 150, 100, 50) describes spool size/capacity. I get what you are saying though, I guess people are fooled into thinking they need a lot of line capacity, which is why those Revos sell well. Small/comfortable reel with big line capacity.