Daiwa PXL-R Need Replacement

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa PXL-R Need Replacement

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 am

I've been looking high and low to purchase another PXL-R. Can't seem to find one, at least not in good condition. Any suggestions on a good substitute? I have two PXL-R and need a third and now trying to see what comparable reel can fill its shoes. I mainly use it for pitching/flipping weightless to 1/4 oz trigs. Usually throwing a weightless senko or finesse worm. If I use any weight it will be at most 1/4 oz. Also use it for 3-4 inch skinny dippers and keitechs paddle tails. I'm not really looking to tune or upgrade a reel to get the same performance as my PXL-R, I pretty much want it ready to go out of the box. Any thoughts on a comparable reel? Reel will be paired with a NRX 853C.

PistolGripper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Daiwa PXL-R Need Replacement

Post by PistolGripper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 am

I own a PX type R, a yellow Pixy and the SV 105. I would say get the SV 105. It's great right out of the box & does an excellent job with the the type of lures you listed. If money is no object get a Steez LTD SV 105

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am

PistolGripper wrote:I own a PX type R, a yellow Pixy and the SV 105. I would say get the SV 105. It's great right out of the box & does an excellent job with the the type of lures you listed. If money is no object get a Steez LTD SV 105
That's awesome...I'm glad you mentioned that reel because I was actually looking at and considering the SV105. That tells me I am on the right track. How do you compare the SV 105 to your PXR? Does it palm the same? Casting? Pitching/flipping? Drag? Do you see any noticable difference in performance vs PXR? I would assume the PXR feels a bit more refined and connected? I guess I'n trying to figure out how much of a downgrade a SV 105 is vs a PXR :shock:

You mentioned the Steez LTD SV 105...what do you pick up in performance? Is it simply a more refined, more connected reel? Or do you think there is an actual noticeable improvement in performance? Money is always an object, but if I'm shelling out some dough might as well get the right reel for the long term.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
PistolGripper wrote:I own a PX type R, a yellow Pixy and the SV 105. I would say get the SV 105. It's great right out of the box & does an excellent job with the the type of lures you listed. If money is no object get a Steez LTD SV 105
That's awesome...I'm glad you mentioned that reel because I was actually looking at and considering the SV105. That tells me I am on the right track. How do you compare the SV 105 to your PXR? Does it palm the same? Casting? Pitching/flipping? Drag? Do you see any noticable difference in performance vs PXR? I would assume the PXR feels a bit more refined and connected? I guess I'n trying to figure out how much of a downgrade a SV 105 is vs a PXR :shock:

You mentioned the Steez LTD SV 105...what do you pick up in performance? Is it simply a more refined, more connected reel? Or do you think there is an actual noticeable improvement in performance? Money is always an object, but if I'm shelling out some dough might as well get the right reel for the long term.
I've had both the Steez LTD SV 105 and the PX-R. I think the Steez is a better reel for sure. The palmability is the only thing the PX-R has over the Steez. I'm not bashing the PX-R, I just feel the Steez can do everything the PX-R can and some.

The SV105 (Alphas SV) should be a consideration though. They are nice reels and can be had for a great price. The savings could be put toward a purchasing a better rod or whatever.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:43 pm

ccass wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
PistolGripper wrote:
I've had both the Steez LTD SV 105 and the PX-R. I think the Steez is a better reel for sure. The palmability is the only thing the PX-R has over the Steez. I'm not bashing the PX-R, I just feel the Steez can do everything the PX-R can and some.

The SV105 (Alphas SV) should be a consideration though. They are nice reels and can be had for a great price. The savings could be put toward a purchasing a better rod or whatever.
So tacklewarehouse has the JDM SS SV 105XHL and the US Daiwa SV105. Aesthetically I like the JDM version more, other than that they look to be very similar with only a couple differences between the two. Are these essentially the same reels?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:44 pm

The Steez SV TW would be a nice upgrade. Out of the box it out performs the PX Type R imo. With the addition of an Slp 1012 SV spool or better yet, Slp G1 1012 SV spool, it's not even close. I consider it a power finesse type reel, perfect for what you want. It doesn't really need any upgrades, but the addition of an 90 mm handle and some nice spool bearings - you will be grinning on every cast, ear to ear. Bear in mind it has duraluminum gears, so it has a little different feel to it opposed to an Alphas SV which sports brass gears. More of a connected feel rather than a buttery feel. It's a solid reel deserving of the Steez name. My favorite reel on deck. The form factor is the best to date imo.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
ccass wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
PistolGripper wrote:

So tacklewarehouse has the JDM SS SV 105XHL and the US Daiwa SV105. Aesthetically I like the JDM version more, other than that they look to be very similar with only a couple differences between the two. Are these essentially the same reels?
Different reels. The SS SV is a Steez platform. It's a hybrid Zaion and magnesium reel with a very hollow feel to it. It is over braked and needs a spool upgrade to reach its full potential. The SV105 is an Usdm Alphas SV. Much better performance than the SS SV with a much more solid feel to it as it's full aluminum. Megabass has the Lauda as well, which is the same reel. I have one and it's very, very nice.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
ccass wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
PistolGripper wrote:

Different reels. The SS SV is a Steez platform. It's a hybrid Zaion and magnesium reel with a very hollow feel to it. It is over braked and needs a spool upgrade to reach its full potential. The SV105 is an Usdm Alphas SV. Much better performance than the SS SV with a much more solid feel to it as it's full aluminum. Megabass has the Lauda as well, which is the same reel. I have one and it's very, very nice.
I think I'm going the steez sv tw route. Although that Lauda looks redonkulous! :shock: For my application, which outperforms, Lauda or Steez?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
ccass wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
I think I'm going the steez sv tw route. Although that Lauda looks redonkulous! :shock: For my application, which outperforms, Lauda or Steez?
STEEZ! You won't be disappointed :big grin:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
ccass wrote:
Yup. I got 3 of them.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:45 pm

ccass wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Yup. I got 3 of them.
DONE! Steez is on it's way! Thanks fellas!

Oh, and I guess I should have asked this earlier...have you used the steez to skip finesse lures? 3/16 and lower?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm

I skip with mine all the time. I use it for 1/16 oz wacky jig heads with Fish Arrow Flash Js, to 3/16 oz finesse jigs with small Keitech crazy flapper trailers, and pretty much everything in between including small paddle tail swimbaits. I pretty much keep my brake dial at 6 for all of it. Keep the cast control cap set as is from the factory. After some extensive use, go ahead and adjust it a bit if needed.