Steez SV 103 vs SV 103

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
PistolGripper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Steez SV 103 vs SV 103

Post by PistolGripper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 am

I have the SV 105 & love it. But I want add another SV reel & I'm not a fan of the TW system Is the Steez SV 103 worth almost twice the price of the SV 103. Which one would you buy given the choice & why?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez SV 103 vs SV 103

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 am

2 different reels for 2 different purposes. Steez is more of a light bait/line reel, while the SV103 is a tuff SOB that basically is the OG Zillion with a Steez spool compatibility.
<")))><{

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

They both use the same exact spool so saying it's a light bait/light line reel would not be correct. Only difference is the Steez spool is made of G1 material and the sv103 is made of duralumin. The G1 is supposed to be slightly stronger material. Anyhow, on to the reels themselves... I use my Steez sv as an all around do everything reel. Also the same goes for my SV103. It's definitely more solid feeling than the Steez. Due to it being made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. The price difference can only be decided by you in the end. The Steez can be had for $300 online and the sv103 for $250. I'd be hard for me to pick a favorite. I enjoy them both equally.
Last edited by Rippin-lips on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:They both use the same exact spool so saying it's a light bait/light line reel would not be correct. Only difference is the Steez spool is made of G1 material and the sv103 is made of duralumin. The G1 is supposed to be slightly stronger material. Anyhow, on to the reels themselves... I use my Steez sv as an all around do everything reel. Also the same goes for my SV103. It's definitely more solid feeling than the Steez. Due to it being made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. The price difference can only be decided by you in the end. The Steez can be had for $350 online and the sv103 for $250. I'd be hard for me to pick a favorite. I enjoy them both equally.
This is spot on. Lighter shorter rod - Steez. Longer heavier rod - SV103. Heavier baits that carry more resistance, I'd opt for the SV103. Baits that need to be worked or manipulated, I'd go Steez.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:They both use the same exact spool so saying it's a light bait/light line reel would not be correct. Only difference is the Steez spool is made of G1 material and the sv103 is made of duralumin. The G1 is supposed to be slightly stronger material. Anyhow, on to the reels themselves... I use my Steez sv as an all around do everything reel. Also the same goes for my SV103. It's definitely more solid feeling than the Steez. Due to it being made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. The price difference can only be decided by you in the end. The Steez can be had for $350 online and the sv103 for $250. I'd be hard for me to pick a favorite. I enjoy them both equally.
This is spot on. Lighter shorter rod - Steez. Longer heavier rod - SV103. Heavier baits that carry more resistance, I'd opt for the SV103. Baits that need to be worked or manipulated, I'd go Steez.
I tend to agree. I would use a differant illustration. Where I am using heavy duty applications such as flipping, big baits, heavy cover I like the OG Zillions which are tanks. All these applications tend to use longer heavier rods so the weight of the Zillion is not a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong the Steezs are plenty strong, especially the higher geared ones with brass gears. I would never use a Zillion on any rod under 7 ft.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Everybody needs a Steez or two in their lineup if they use smaller line with lighter rods. The SV105 is great, and it essentially fills the same slot, but a 8.1 ratio Steez will pick up line much faster than the SV105 in 7.2. I would buy the Steez SV103 XS if you fish light plastics quickly where you are letting your bait get to the bottom and then quickly reeling it in to make another cast, like most people do with a Senko. The Steez gets the nod if you can get if on sale. Otherwise, buy another SV105 (Alphas) from Japan for $200 if you need another reel to fish the lighter stuff.
Buy an SV103 if you need something to fish close quarters with heavier line.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:They both use the same exact spool so saying it's a light bait/light line reel would not be correct. Only difference is the Steez spool is made of G1 material and the sv103 is made of duralumin. The G1 is supposed to be slightly stronger material. Anyhow, on to the reels themselves... I use my Steez sv as an all around do everything reel. Also the same goes for my SV103. It's definitely more solid feeling than the Steez. Due to it being made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. The price difference can only be decided by you in the end. The Steez can be had for $300 online and the sv103 for $250. I'd be hard for me to pick a favorite. I enjoy them both equally.
-Not exactly the same spools but you already differentiated the differences in the "same exact spools"... :-k

Seems that all the STOCKED Steez SV reels with SV spools ( don't know about the newer TWS version) have just the black inducter spacer and the SV103 as well as the Zillion TWS SV have the white spacer that seems to aid in not having the stuck inductor issues.
Steez 103SV reel with Factory installed SV spool on left vs the 103SV reel with Factory installed SV spool on right.
The Steez sv spool is also slightly lighter in weight which does aid in lighter baits and lighter line.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:They both use the same exact spool so saying it's a light bait/light line reel would not be correct. Only difference is the Steez spool is made of G1 material and the sv103 is made of duralumin. The G1 is supposed to be slightly stronger material. Anyhow, on to the reels themselves... I use my Steez sv as an all around do everything reel. Also the same goes for my SV103. It's definitely more solid feeling than the Steez. Due to it being made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. The price difference can only be decided by you in the end. The Steez can be had for $300 online and the sv103 for $250. I'd be hard for me to pick a favorite. I enjoy them both equally.
-Not exactly the same spools but you already differentiated the differences in the "same exact spools"... :-k

Seems that all the STOCKED Steez SV reels with SV spools ( don't know about the newer TWS version) have just the black inducter spacer and the SV103 as well as the Zillion TWS SV have the white spacer that seems to aid in not having the stuck inductor issues.
Steez 103SV reel with Factory installed SV spool on left vs the 103SV reel with Factory installed SV spool on right.
The Steez sv spool is also slightly lighter in weight which does aid in lighter baits and lighter line.

Sorry, 'same exact' as in hold the same amount of line. So saying it's for light baits and light line wouldn't exactly make sense. The white lower inductor block is on any of the newer reels. It's Daiwas fix for sticky inductors as you already guessed. Maybe also used on any new runs of current production reels. I know the G1 Zillion spool has it. I ordered a bunch of the lower blocks to swap out on all my sv spools. So far not a single stuck inductor. Pair it with the spring mod and it really wakes up the sv spools that use the longer inductor. Such as the Steez SV103 and the SV103. Steez SV103 spool is lighter and stronger due to the use of the G1 material. Weight difference is minimal and any performance increase would be hardly noticed.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 am

Where can you get a Steeze SV for 300.00 can you be specific ?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am

Pegasus wrote:
Where can you get a Steeze SV for 300.00 can you be specific ?
When I bought mine there was a bunch on eBay from a retailer for $299.99 with free shipping.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:57 am

E73Bass wrote:

This is awesome, I had no idea that they were coming from the factory this way. I thought the SV103 reels had the black ramp (lower inductor spacer or block), if they have the white one like the Zillion SV TW, there should be no room for sticking. I am getting ready to order a G1 SV spool to wake up my SS/SV (on a 7' Med, moderate) because it needs some more distance. Going to order the white block for my SV105 also to prevent any future possible inductor sticks even though its never done it even once. Is the ramp/lower block hard to replace???

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm

[/quote]This is awesome, I had no idea that they were coming from the factory this way. I thought the SV103 reels had the black ramp (lower inductor spacer or block), if they have the white one like the Zillion SV TW, there should be no room for sticking. I am getting ready to order a G1 SV spool to wake up my SS/SV (on a 7' Med, moderate) because it needs some more distance. Going to order the white block for my SV105 also to prevent any future possible inductor sticks even though its never done it even once. Is the ramp/lower block hard to replace???[/quote]

They aren't hard as much as they're tricky. Be prepared to get a little frustrated and also have patience at the same time. You're working in a tight area with small parts. You have to hold the assembly down 'I use 90 degree tweezers' and then fit the small e clip on the groove of the spool shaft. I also use tweezers for that part also. Then use needle nose to clip the e in place. Stick with it and you'll get it figured out. It wouldn't hurt to have a spare or two because I've had them go flying.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
This is awesome, I had no idea that they were coming from the factory this way. I thought the SV103 reels had the black ramp (lower inductor spacer or block), if they have the white one like the Zillion SV TW, there should be no room for sticking. I am getting ready to order a G1 SV spool to wake up my SS/SV (on a 7' Med, moderate) because it needs some more distance. Going to order the white block for my SV105 also to prevent any future possible inductor sticks even though its never done it even once. Is the ramp/lower block hard to replace???[/quote]

They aren't hard as much as they're tricky. Be prepared to get a little frustrated and also have patience at the same time. You're working in a tight area with small parts. You have to hold the assembly down 'I use 90 degree tweezers' and then fit the small e clip on the groove of the spool shaft. I also use tweezers for that part also. Then use needle nose to clip the e in place. Stick with it and you'll get it figured out. It wouldn't hurt to have a spare or two because I've had them go flying.[/quote]

Doing your fine work in a high sided tupperware bowl saves a lot of flying parts from getting lost. Lining it with a towel cuts way down on ricochets.