Is the Tatula SV TWS built on the CT frame?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Is the Tatula SV TWS built on the CT frame?

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am

Is the Tatula SV TWS built on the CT frame? just trying to verify as i cant see anywhere if it is. I like smaller reels. Currently have a CT, and although it does not palm as good as my curado 70, its not bad, and i was thinking of getting some soft of semi BFS reel so i was considering the SV TWS

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is the Tatula SV TWS built on the CT frame?

Post by johnD » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes , same size. Prices have dropped significantly on tat sv. I saw them on the big auction site "buy it now" for $133 tyd.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:36 pm

A video that shows the Tatula SV casting a variety of lures:

https://youtu.be/VKmKgwWG0RY
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am

Same frame, but slightly different tolerances around the spool. The Tatula SV is slightly smaller to fit the smaller spool (millimeters in differences) only in the raceway area that holds the spool. I have been amazed by the videos of people throwing tiny and lightweight lures with the Tatula SV, just from the one I used, they are a little over braked. I bought 2 Zillion SV TW's because the distance is much better from my testing. I waited and found a sale, am very glad I did so far, they have been amazing reels. If I were not concerned with the distance, the Tatula SV would have been fine. I do however love my SS/SV though and everyone says it is a more controlled/shorter casting reel. I do not know which casts further, the Tatula SV or the SS/SV.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Same frame, but slightly different tolerances around the spool. The Tatula SV is slightly smaller to fit the smaller spool (millimeters in differences) only in the raceway area that holds the spool. I have been amazed by the videos of people throwing tiny and lightweight lures with the Tatula SV, just from the one I used, they are a little over braked. I bought 2 Zillion SV TW's because the distance is much better from my testing. I waited and found a sale, am very glad I did so far, they have been amazing reels. If I were not concerned with the distance, the Tatula SV would have been fine. I do however love my SS/SV though and everyone says it is a more controlled/shorter casting reel. I do not know which casts further, the Tatula SV or the SS/SV.
I am really sold on the Tatula SV. Especially seeing how they can be found for about 135 if you shop around.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:19 am

The tatula SV is the only Daiwa i own at the moment. I have a love hate relationship with this reel because its the noisiest reel i own. When i spin the handle with no tension on it its just a noisy mess, but when you have tension on it like a lure retrieve its great. Its a casting machine with Hedgehog bfs bearings. The stock drag is unusable i replaced it with a carbontex now its great. I really like the form factor of this reel especially if you like to hold the reel with your index finger in front of the reel this is the reel for you. I have a total of 11+1 bearings in mine but i wish it had a dual pinion supported bearing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 am

illini wrote:The tatula SV is the only Daiwa i own at the moment. I have a love hate relationship with this reel because its the noisiest reel i own. When i spin the handle with no tension on it its just a noisy mess, but when you have tension on it like a lure retrieve its great. Its a casting machine with Hedgehog bfs bearings. The stock drag is unusable i replaced it with a carbontex now its great. I really like the form factor of this reel especially if you like to hold the reel with your index finger in front of the reel this is the reel for you. I have a total of 11+1 bearings in mine but i wish it had a dual pinion supported bearing.
I agree with the pinion support. It might just be in my head, but I stepped up to the Zillion SV both times, I don't know why, but I just notice a difference now, especially in fish fighting or resistance lures without the supported pinion. I know the spool shaft basically keeps anything from moving, but I still seem to feel a relevant difference without the extra support. Maybe it is just fishing OCD, but I also think it keeps a reel smoother, longer.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 am

I knew prices would drop. Picked up this bad boy for $117 shipped brand new.. Big auction site "buy it now". :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 pm

johnD wrote:I knew prices would drop. Picked up this bad boy for $117 shipped brand new.. Big auction site "buy it now". :D

That's a good deal.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

illini wrote:The tatula SV is the only Daiwa i own at the moment. I have a love hate relationship with this reel because its the noisiest reel i own. When i spin the handle with no tension on it its just a noisy mess, but when you have tension on it like a lure retrieve its great. Its a casting machine with Hedgehog bfs bearings. The stock drag is unusable i replaced it with a carbontex now its great. I really like the form factor of this reel especially if you like to hold the reel with your index finger in front of the reel this is the reel for you. I have a total of 11+1 bearings in mine but i wish it had a dual pinion supported bearing.
Mine was noisy too..First thing I did was break it down and add bearings to the levelwind..The reel was pretty dry. The drag was sticky , so I used cal's grease on it..The chrome nut on the handle was wrenched down like the lug nuts on a peterbuilt. When I set that the way it's supposed to be..Greased the main gear , pinion and added yellow rocket fuel to the bearings , it alleviated the whining noise. .Now it's just as quiet and smooth as any curado or chronarch I've ever had. Love this reel so far.

ccass wrote: That's a good deal.
Yes Sir !

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 pm

johnD wrote:
Mine was noisy too..First thing I did was break it down and add bearings to the levelwind..The reel was pretty dry. The drag was sticky , so I used cal's grease on it..The chrome nut on the handle was wrenched down like the lug nuts on a peterbuilt. When I set that the way it's supposed to be..Greased the main gear , pinion and added yellow rocket fuel to the bearings , it alleviated the whining noise. .Now it's just as quiet and smooth as any curado or chronarch I've ever had. Love this reel so far.

Yes Sir !
Been holding off on tearing mine apart until I catch a couple fish with it. I brought it out a couple of times but I caught nothing with that setup.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am

ccass wrote:
johnD wrote:

Yes Sir !
Been holding off on tearing mine apart until I catch a couple fish with it. I brought it out a couple of times but I caught nothing with that setup.
On my SV , the tension on the induction rotor seems soft compared to the CT ? Is yours like that ?