SS SV 105 Difference

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SS SV 105 Difference

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 am

I've always been a Shimano guy, but this spring I bought myself an SV105 and I've fallen in love with this reel for throwing Senko's and Flukes. This reel seems like it was meant for these baits. Recently, the SS SV105 has caught my eye. Other than cosmetics, what is different about this reel?

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SS SV 105 Difference

Post by masterbass » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:34 am

The ss sv has a stronger braking profile so the alphas sv will blow it away casting.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am

masterbass wrote:The ss sv has a stronger braking profile so the alphas sv will blow it away casting.
This, plus the SS is not aluminum. It's magnesium and Zaion. Has a very hollow feel to it. If you replace the spool with an Slp SV105 or 1012SV spool you will see better results as the inductor is smaller.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
masterbass wrote:The ss sv has a stronger braking profile so the alphas sv will blow it away casting.
This, plus the SS is not aluminum. It's magnesium and Zaion. Has a very hollow feel to it. If you replace the spool with an Slp SV105 or 1012SV spool you will see better results as the inductor is smaller.
I own the SS/SV103, and I am one of the few who like it. It is always in the back of my head to try a Zillion SV TW spool in it... I think it is compatible, just not sure. If so, I figure the same concept works for the sv105 spool to the ss/sv105. One mechanic said the SV TW spool will help, but still won't match the Zillion SV total performance.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Can someone please sum up the SV103 I am thinking of getting one, even though I recently got a Chronarch MGL which I am still trying to convince myself in keeping.
Just want to know the SV103 casting ability distance wise.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Pegasus wrote:Can someone please sum up the SV103 I am thinking of getting one, even though I recently got a Chronarch MGL which I am still trying to convince myself in keeping.
Just want to know the SV103 casting ability distance wise.
The SV103 is a tank of a reel. It is a TD Zillion, so there is Japanese made quality, a very robust aluminum frame, with a strength and rigidity adding aluminum side plate. The SV spool is compatible with the new Zillion SV TW, from all reports it is 90% capable as the SV TW, just not quite as light. So the distance with lighter lures and ease of casting will be very slightly less. The Zillion SV TW uses G1 duralumin and the SV103 uses A7075 aluminum (which is slightly heavier, probably sturdier though). I think once you get over 3/8oz you can expect much closer performance and should be very satisfied. I had myself convinced the Chronarch MGL would smoke my Zillion SV TW in distance, only to find out from personal tests, the Zillion probably still has the edge. Comments like yours concerning keeping the MGL are what moved me to buying a second Zillion SV TW, too much negative surrounding the Chronarch MGL I have seen (about 3 out of 10 reviews/comments are negative). I would personally have bought the SV103 had I found one on sale in right hand, only the older black ramp under the inductor scares me, but it can be fixed with the newer white one (which prevents the spool from "sticking", something I have never experienced, even in 2 years of fishing SV spools).

Overall the SV103 is a great reel on a proven platform, with a highly regarded spool for lightweight lure casting and control/distance. The only downside is that it is heavy. So to wrap it up, it is a versatile tank of a reel.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 am

I have all of the reels that have been mentioned. The run down is:

The sv105/alphas sv is smaller than the ss series physically but the ss is lighter, the ss has the steez frame and can accept steez spools.

The ss series does feel hollow somewhat but has gotten better over time as the gears wore in. There is a brass gear set available which will rid you of that hollow feel.

The sv103 (OG zillon) as has been said is a tank of a reel but feels absolutely solid no matter the load applied to it. Mine out of the box was not very smooth and I was thinking of sending it back but I tore it apart, cleaned and relubed it then added bearings to the handle and level wind and now it is incredibly smooth. You can address the weight by put it on a 7'+ medium heavy or heavy action rod and it balances wonderfully.

With stock spools, casting between them the ss sv is the shortest caster of them but its nice when casting in windy conditions and excellent for pitching and skipping. The sv105 and sv103 get a lot more distance but I adjust the brakes more in windy conditions. The sv105 does awesome with 1/8oz on up, the sv103 and ss sv can cast 1/8 but really do well with 1/4oz on up.

The biggest con on the ss and sv105 to me is the 80mm handle. Stepping it up to a 90mm feels much better. I like all of them, each has a different fishing experience.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:12 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I own the SS/SV103, and I am one of the few who like it. It is always in the back of my head to try a Zillion SV TW spool in it... I think it is compatible, just not sure. If so, I figure the same concept works for the sv105 spool to the ss/sv105. One mechanic said the SV TW spool will help, but still won't match the Zillion SV total performance.
That spool will help considerably. The SLP 1012 is even a step better. I've tried both. These are the ultimate reel / spool configurations I've found for Steez models.
SS SV - 1012
Steez SV TW - 1012
Steez SV (all models) - Steez / Zillion SV TW spool
These combos have provided the greatest distance, ease, and not overly wild experience. I used the 1012 in my Steez SV103, and I couldn't set the brake dial below 7. The stock spool in the Steez SV TW works really well, but with the 1012 spool it's just pure magic and perfection.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Wow guys ,I don't know who to thank first, such detailed information.
I had an OG Zillion, I sold it because of the weight. The casting was ok with 3/8 and up
looks like the SV103 falls in that category, even though it probably weighs an once less.
I really wanted to be under 7oz. with brass gears, that is the only reason I went with the
Chronarch, also the price helped, and the fact that I can still return it if I decide to do that.
If I was going to go Daiwa it would have to be made in Japan, but what is there for 300.00 ?
I guess I just have to wait and see what they come out with next.
Thank you for the explanations I really appreciate it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:02 pm

You can find the Steez SV103 for 300 bucks if you look hard enough. It's made in Japan. Love mine

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:You can find the Steez SV103 for 300 bucks if you look hard enough. It's made in Japan. Love mine
What are the gears made of ?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Steez SV 6.3:1 is aluminum gearing and the 8:1 is brass.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Steez SV 6.3:1 is aluminum gearing and the 8:1 is brass.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Pegasus wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:Steez SV 6.3:1 is aluminum gearing and the 8:1 is brass.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.
The 8.1 is butter. No hollow feel at all. Very solid and refined.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Is that the SS SV 105 that is buttery smooth? I have an SS SV 103 that I love and don't feel a hollow feeling in mine. Is the 105 a step up? Looks like the star drag is a little different, etc. so maybe they changed the reel a little bit. Nonetheless I like mine (103) a lot and got it for $149 new and shipped back in May.