Stradic FK line roller

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stradic FK line roller

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Has anyone else noticed the line roller on this reel is non-serviceable when it comes to changing out the bearing, it appears to be pressed in requiring total change of the line roller assembly when the bearing goes ](*,) . Most of my work is in the salt here in oz so I usually bush or ceramic change out these in my other spinners. I hope this is not the way of the future for shimano's upcoming spinners! They must be going through a few of them cos I went to order one for a 5000 and now it's on back order til end of August :(

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stradic FK line roller

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:21 am

Tip for you FOC.

FK line roller in the bin - you'll never get a new bearing to fit - because its press fit in with plastic shims etc.

Buy a FI Stella line roller complete with bearing (and those barrel spacers they use), when that bearing kicks the bucket, carefully warm the line roller and punch the old bearing out, re-warm the line roller and cool the new bearing and bring them together with light tapping with a punch that fits over the whole bearing.

Just dont tell Shimano where you got the how to do it from :roll:

HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Post by HIfisher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Im pretty sure you can pick up a new line roller assembly at hedgehog studios

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Slazmo wrote:Tip for you FOC.

FK line roller in the bin - you'll never get a new bearing to fit - because its press fit in with plastic shims etc.

Buy a FI Stella line roller complete with bearing (and those barrel spacers they use), when that bearing kicks the bucket, carefully warm the line roller and punch the old bearing out, re-warm the line roller and cool the new bearing and bring them together with light tapping with a punch that fits over the whole bearing.

Cheers for that Slazmo :D I'll give that a go.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

HIfisher wrote:Im pretty sure you can pick up a new line roller assembly at hedgehog studios
Thanks HIfisher checked them out could be an option. :)

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Sorry just realised this should have gone under Shop Talk :doh: admin move it there if you so wish. :D

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 pm

DaisyZillion wrote:

No pobs. Once that original bearing gets pressed out it becomes easier to get them in and out - the original bearing in the Stella LR is "glued in"...

As long as that lune roller is in good knick just swap out the bearings for life. Certainly a cheaper option by far.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Slazmo wrote:
DaisyZillion wrote:

No pobs. Once that original bearing gets pressed out it becomes easier to get them in and out - the original bearing in the Stella LR is "glued in"...

As long as that lune roller is in good knick just swap out the bearings for life. Certainly a cheaper option by far.
Sounds much more sustainable mate and won't be waiting when the supplier runs out of line rollers :( , cheers :D