13 Fishing Concept Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Concept Z

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Tony9 wrote:It's interesting that with the amount of buzz about the Concept Z, it did not win an ICAST award over the Curado K.
Marketing output vs reality vs consumer receipt vs response.

Went out too hard IMHO with technology that wasn't focused enough to promote their direction and created a black hole of confusion and expectations within their target market. Again using spono'd anglers to push it in their adverts didn't do much good either... And just painting and existing frame orange and calling it a new product with only the exception of bearings exchanged to bushings doesn't do much help either.

Now to see how the product is received, used, abused and then reviewed after good use.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

When will the concept Z be released to the public ?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:When will the concept Z be released to the public ?
February 2018

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks !! Hopefully it turns out to be an awesome reel .

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:04 am

mark poulson wrote:
Tony9 wrote:It's interesting that with the amount of buzz about the Concept Z, it did not win an ICAST award over the Curado K.
You're right, that is interesting. :?
I wouldn't read too much into that. Many people believe that these awards are bought and paid for long before the show ever runs, hence the head scratching choices most years.
The new Curado is also a really, really nice reel. I don't get the hate for the "I", but this was a very solid improvement over it. We'll see if the same haters are still the same haters when it all shakes out this year.
If Daiwa went the route that 13 has with this reel, and made the same claims, using their paid pros, half the guys here would need a rag to clean up the mess by now. Why don't we wait to see how the thing performs before we stamp it as a failure? If I am not mistaken, no one here has actually cast one?"
Set hard and set often

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 am

Assuming traditional bearings get noisy, rusty or size up because of the saltwater, how would the same saltwater affect the czb?
Any foreseeable issues with salt crystallisation and smoothness?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 am

y2k88 wrote:Assuming traditional bearings get noisy, rusty or size up because of the saltwater, how would the same saltwater affect the czb?
Just like a plastic water bottle that washes up on some island in the south pacific...unscathed.
ccass wrote:
johnD wrote:who's gonna swap out the bushings for bearings ? :lol:
You can also swap out bearings for bushings. 13 Fishing is selling the bushing for 11 bucks a pop
So even if you don't have a concept z , you can make your current concept a Z reel for $11........unreal :doh:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 am

johnD wrote:
y2k88 wrote:Assuming traditional bearings get noisy, rusty or size up because of the saltwater, how would the same saltwater affect the czb?
Just like a plastic water bottle that washes up on some island in the south pacific...unscathed.
ccass wrote:
johnD wrote:who's gonna swap out the bushings for bearings ? :lol:
You can also swap out bearings for bushings. 13 Fishing is selling the bushing for 11 bucks a pop
So even if you don't have a concept z , you can make your current concept a Z reel for $11........unreal :doh:
I'm not sure what sizes they will offer but, in theory, yes you could make a zero ball bearing reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Texas-Rigged
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Texas-Rigged » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 pm

If it has that crappy aluminum worm gear, I'm out.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 am

Being a saltwater fisherman I'm pretty excited about a corrosion free bearing alternative with comparable performance, the one on the spool there looks like it might be a 5x11x4, presuming they come in standard metric sizes. The bit that gets me is going to be wear and durability between the spigot/axle shaft and the ID of the bush, particularly when salt and contaminants are introduced.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

BucketHunter wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
You're right, that is interesting. :?
I wouldn't read too much into that. Many people believe that these awards are bought and paid for long before the show ever runs, hence the head scratching choices most years.
The new Curado is also a really, really nice reel. I don't get the hate for the "I", but this was a very solid improvement over it. We'll see if the same haters are still the same haters when it all shakes out this year.
If Daiwa went the route that 13 has with this reel, and made the same claims, using their paid pros, half the guys here would need a rag to clean up the mess by now. Why don't we wait to see how the thing performs before we stamp it as a failure? If I am not mistaken, no one here has actually cast one?"
+1

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 am

is it saltwater safe?

also curious as to how well it'll skip

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm

I think Daiwa Got hosed on the ICAST Awards too, developing multiple lines of all new super light spinning reels, and Shimano wins an award for a warmed over Stradic/Ci4+...
I hope the Concept Z is a winner I'm looking for another brand now. I'm done with buying new Shimano's that need to be sent for repair right out of the box. ](*,)

Kurt

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Something tells me this concept z will be one of the greatest reels ever or one of the worst. Ether way it's got people talking.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:Something tells me this concept z will be one of the greatest reels ever or one of the worst. Ether way it's got people talking.
LOL. I am watching for this reel myself. Time will tell. I like the idea for sure. Plus I love that color.