Chronarch MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Pegasus wrote:DirtyD64

What Zillion are you referring to the 105 ? I had a Zillion TD and no way the Chronarch is smoother.
I have had the MGL now since 5/19 I checked the receipt, and I can tell you its already not as smooth as it was
fished it 5 times and always oiled the braking pipe and the bearing as per manual.
When cranking when in the beginning it was like cranking air, no noise what so ever. Now I can actually hear and feel the pinion gear as I crank the handle. I was under the impression that having a bearing supporting the pinion gear you wouldn't experience that.
I have to admit its a good caster, but its very sensitive and it gets more bird nests then I would like. I had it set at 2 brakes on 2 off, the SVS at 3 and almost zero play in the spool, I shouldn't even have to thumb it, but I could see that if I didn't it would blow up on me. Bass Pro gives a 60 day no question asked return that is what I am being told anyway, so I can still return it.
If the Cronarch is smoother and more refined than the SV103 which I find hard to believe having owned a Zillion then I will just wait and see what comes out of I Cast before buying again.
You need more spool tension than that, set it so that the lure falls and hits the ground and maybe theres a couple of coils on the spool.
If you do that you hardly get any distance,but I will try it again on my D7 I keep 3 on 3 off and just minimal side play on the spool and it I don't even thumb it really.
With the spool tension set up like that you can back off the brakes and put more force into your casts.
Sounds good, maybe that is the way to tame it down, and still get the distance. Thank's

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 am

Bass pro charges tax for me though and never free shipping. I am way off in AR. I am going to wait for the next TW sale and order the MGL. If I hate it, I will put it on my mid/deep crank rod, I am going for the 7.1 also. I never go below a 7 speed now, no matter what, unless I finish school, and make enough money to add and further specify my rods and reels for techniques.

I figure if I do not like the MGL still on that rod, I will just sell it... I recently sold a Lew's and Revo Winch I had for like 80 percent return.

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:59 am

A friend took apart their Chronarch 51e to clean and when putting the parts back together, the drag washers were out on backwards and the drag ended up behaving how you described. Perhaps someone assembled incorrectly by mistake at the factory?

I don't know how you can tell without taking apart the reel.

I have a Met '13 and a Chronarch Ci4 without any problems.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Is there anyone who has tested the Zillion SV and Chronarch MGL?

That's the main question I can't find an answer too.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: If you've never owned a Shimano casting reel and enjoy the SV105, I highly recommend trying an older 50 size Shimano. While I can't comment on the newer Shimano braking system, I do know the old braking system is set and forget. In short, it will feel somewhat familiar to you, and familiar with the SV braking profile. I sold all my 50 size Shimanos and eventually remorse set in even though I'm a die hard Daiwa SV guy. . . So I just recently acquired a new in box Aldebaran 51mg7. Absolutely love it and it's always been my favorite Shimano reel. It doesn't have all the newest Shimano technology, but it flat out performs and palms equally as well as an Alphas, if not better. Holds plenty of line and has a wide casting range. Full magnesium, weighs 5.5 ounces. Still plenty of them floating around at very low prices.
I'll second this. I don't know if I have a better casting reel in my lineup other than my Aldebaran MG7
Ill 3rd this.
I just acquired one of these new \:D/

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Bass pro charges tax for me though and never free shipping. I am way off in AR. I am going to wait for the next TW sale and order the MGL. If I hate it, I will put it on my mid/deep crank rod, I am going for the 7.1 also. I never go below a 7 speed now, no matter what, unless I finish school, and make enough money to add and further specify my rods and reels for techniques.

I figure if I do not like the MGL still on that rod, I will just sell it... I recently sold a Lew's and Revo Winch I had for like 80 percent return.
No its free shipping on any order over 75.00 I am certain.
Mesa, AZ | Bass Pro Shops
1133 North Dobson
Mesa, AZ 85201
602-606-5600
The reason why they charge taxes is because there is a BPS in your state.
You want to call the 800 number for the free shipping
If not I can call from here and have one shipped out to you.
How far are you from the store?
I you are not far away you can have it shipped there and get the 10.00 gift card
but you have to order it on a Tuesday.
Don't buy it from TW

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:11 am

papabassin wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: If you've never owned a Shimano casting reel and enjoy the SV105, I highly recommend trying an older 50 size Shimano. While I can't comment on the newer Shimano braking system, I do know the old braking system is set and forget. In short, it will feel somewhat familiar to you, and familiar with the SV braking profile. I sold all my 50 size Shimanos and eventually remorse set in even though I'm a die hard Daiwa SV guy. . . So I just recently acquired a new in box Aldebaran 51mg7. Absolutely love it and it's always been my favorite Shimano reel. It doesn't have all the newest Shimano technology, but it flat out performs and palms equally as well as an Alphas, if not better. Holds plenty of line and has a wide casting range. Full magnesium, weighs 5.5 ounces. Still plenty of them floating around at very low prices.
I'll second this. I don't know if I have a better casting reel in my lineup other than my Aldebaran MG7
Ill 3rd this.
I just acquired one of these new \:D/
Tear it down and relube it. Man you are gonna love it.
<")))><{

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:58 am

Pegasus wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Bass pro charges tax for me though and never free shipping. I am way off in AR. I am going to wait for the next TW sale and order the MGL. If I hate it, I will put it on my mid/deep crank rod, I am going for the 7.1 also. I never go below a 7 speed now, no matter what, unless I finish school, and make enough money to add and further specify my rods and reels for techniques.

1133 North Dobson
Mesa, AZ 85201
602-606-5600
I you are not far away you can have it shipped there and get the 10.00 gift card
Don't buy it from TW

Bass Pro Shop is now offering free shipping no minimum so if you are looking to pull the trigger and you want free shipping , and 60 days to fish the reel with an option to return it now is the time. I just received another CH MGL I changed the ratio to 7.1:1 give it one more try. If this one is a bust as well then, I am done.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:18 am

Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:

1133 North Dobson
Mesa, AZ 85201
602-606-5600
Don't buy it from TW

Bass Pro Shop is now offering free shipping no minimum so if you are looking to pull the trigger and you want free shipping , and 60 days to fish the reel with an option to return it now is the time. I just received another CH MGL I changed the ratio to 7.1:1 give it one more try. If this one is a bust as well then, I am done.
Let me know how it goes, I am going to wait till the 4th of July and go through TW, I forgot to mention I have a gift card for there. I have had a few PMs and all of them have loved their Chronarch MGL's. I hope you get a good one, PM me what you end up thinking about it.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:

1133 North Dobson
Mesa, AZ 85201
602-606-5600
Don't buy it from TW

Let me know how it goes, I am going to wait till the 4th of July and go through TW, I forgot to mention I have a gift card for there. I have had a few PMs and all of them have loved their Chronarch MGL's. I hope you get a good one, PM me what you end up thinking about it.

I know there is a lot of good people out there that rather keep their opinion private, and that is fine too.
I can tell you this about the new one I got, I haven't fished it yet, but just playing with the drag star it locks
the drag pretty quickly, meaning I don't have to turn it all the way to get a good lock.
So maybe the one person that said the drag stack might have been assembled incorrectly could have
been right. Yes if you have a gift card by all means go with it, I just didn't like their return policy.
Thank's for responding.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Anybody knows TheTackleTrap return policy on reels?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Depends on how long you have it, what is going on, condition, etc. What happened?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Depends on how long you have it, what is going on, condition, etc. What happened?
I didn't understand the reply, what do you mean

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:05 am

Cracker wrote:Anybody knows TheTackleTrap return policy on reels?
Their is another BS policy like TW.
How can you decide if you like the item unless you use it ?
This is the reason why I buy all rods and reels from Bass Pro because of the Return Policy
which is 60 days. I know they don't offer the variety these other places offer, so I would only buy
from TW / TT if its a must. And if they restock returns there is the possibility that you could buy a return as a new item.
BPS send all returns back to the manufacturer. I am not a BPS advocate, I am just stating the policy please don't get me wrong.

You have 14 days to exchange any items purchased from The Tackle Trap, Inc. The item must be unopened, undamaged, and unused. The customer is responsible for return shipping to The Tackle Trap, Inc. and the shipping to get the exchanged product back to you. Please ship the item(s) to us at the below address and include a copy of your invoice, email address, phone number, and instructions as to the exchange. Include your complete credit card information to cover price differential in items and shipping. All returns and exchanges may be subject to a 10% restocking fee. No exceptions when returning or exchanging rods. We do not accept returns or exchanges of special order items.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:06 am

10 percent restocking fee? Ouch.

I get a better idea of why you do buy from BPS now. Hell you'd be better pressed just to sell online before returning items in some circumstances...