Chronarch MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch MGL

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 am

I got this reel a couple of weeks ago , but haven't had a chance to use it until yesterday.
I hooked up with a 3.5 lb bass, and I have to say this reel for me was struggling with this fish
with the drag locked down. Anybody else experienced this I am really thinking of sending it back and
look for something else.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL

Post by brownhl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:02 am

I have two and neither struggles with any weight. Very smooth. Both of mine are the 8.1:1 reels and I am lovin' those micro gears. The start up speed on the new spool is really spectacular.
I never lock down my drags, leaving enough on to challenge the fish..

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 am

brownhl wrote:I have two and neither struggles with any weight. Very smooth. Both of mine are the 8.1:1 reels and I am lovin' those micro gears. The start up speed on the new spool is really spectacular.
Well the handle was turning, but not the spool. I know you have your thumb to stop the fish but with the drag locked down
it should have stopped a 3.5 bass.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am

Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
brownhl wrote:I have two and neither struggles with any weight. Very smooth. Both of mine are the 8.1:1 reels and I am lovin' those micro gears. The start up speed on the new spool is really spectacular.
Well the handle was turning, but not the spool. I know you have your thumb to stop the fish but with the drag locked down
it should have stopped a 3.5 bass
What reels are you used to using? I keep my drags loose. I friend thought this was wrong with my Zillion SV then realized how loose I set drags for open water fishing. For me, a looser drag lets a fish run underwater, and seems to keep them from jumping. Also what ratio is your Chronarch MGL?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
What reels are you used to using? I keep my drags loose. I friend thought this was wrong with my Zillion SV then realized how loose I set drags for open water fishing. For me, a looser drag lets a fish run underwater, and seems to keep them from jumping. Also what ratio is your Chronarch MGL?
I have two other chronarchs a B and a D, and I never experienced that with those reels before
The MGL is an 8.1:1 just like yours

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:06 am

Pegasus wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
I have two other chronarchs a B and a D, and I never experienced that with those reels before
I don't own one yet. Have been on the fence for a while, bought a Zillion SV last time... If I keep seeing posts like these, will probably buy another Zillion SV TW. Only rational thing I could imagine is something is up with your drag. Drags are normally more refined and smoother nowadays, but a medium sized bass shouldn't be stopping the reel at full lockdown.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 am

Pegasus wrote:Well the handle was turning, but not the spool. I know you have your thumb to stop the fish but with the drag locked down
what type of line do you have spooled on your reel?
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am

Cal wrote:
Pegasus wrote:Well the handle was turning, but not the spool. I know you have your thumb to stop the fish but with the drag locked down
what type of line do you have spooled on your reel?
I know what you are thinking its not braid its
Sunline Supernatural mono 20lb test Diameter .370
I just ordered a spool of Defier 15 lb. test if it happens with this line the reel is going back.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
I don't own one yet. Have been on the fence for a while, bought a Zillion SV last time... If I keep seeing posts like these, will probably buy another Zillion SV TW. Only rational thing I could imagine is something is up with your drag. Drags are normally more refined and smoother nowadays, but a medium sized bass shouldn't be stopping the reel at full lockdown.
I initially wanted the SV103 but went with the Cronarch cause I wanted to try something more lightweight. I am starting to regret it. How do you like the zillion I am hearing mixed reviews on that reel as well. Buying a reel is not as easy as it used to be. Wow.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 am

Pegasus wrote:I know what you are thinking its not braid its
I just ordered a spool of Defier 15 lb. test if it happens with this line the reel is going back.
Yup... so changing line won't do anything. I'd take it back to have a look at if it's not performing up to snuff. Could be that you just got a dud or something. It happens. That's what the warranty is for.
Cal, Managing Editor

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:12 am

Cal wrote:
Pegasus wrote:I know what you are thinking its not braid its
Yup... so changing line won't do anything. I'd take it back to have a look at if it's not performing up to snuff. Could be that you just got a dud or something. It happens. That's what the warranty is for.
The strange part was that after I landed the fish, with the drag still locked down I tried to pull some line out by hand, and it was pretty locked able only to pull some out. I mean I think I was generating more force than 3.5 lbs by hand.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:29 am

Pegasus wrote:I mean I think I was generating more force than 3.5 lbs by hand.
The weight of the fish is not a direct correlation to how much pressure said fish applies when pulling against the drag of your reel. You can catch a 10 lb fish that doesn't pull very hard, or in your case a 3.5 lb fish that pulled very hard. The fish's weight has nothing to do with the amount of stopping power your reel has. How hard they pull does.
Cal, Managing Editor

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 am

Cal wrote:
The weight of the fish is not a direct correlation to how much pressure said fish applies when pulling against the drag of your reel. You can catch a 10 lb fish that doesn't pull very hard, or in your case a 3.5 lb fish that pulled very hard. The fish's weight has nothing to do with the amount of stopping power your reel has. How hard they pull does.
This is very true. Come down here and fight a 2lb Mayan Cichlid. Them suckers fight like crazy.
<")))><{

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:08 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Cal wrote:
This is very true. Come down here and fight a 2lb Mayan Cichlid. Them suckers fight like crazy.
Carp too, a 2lb carp will pull drag out like it's nothing while a 5lb bass will barely make it move sometimes.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am

Ok is it all in my head ? what should I do with the reel fish it some more or just return it.