carrying spare baitcaster spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: carrying spare baitcaster spools

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 pm

I carry a few extra reels. It can get a little complicated because I use LH and RH reels, and the spools generally look similar with line on them.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 pm

zodiak311 wrote:I carry a few extra reels. It can get a little complicated because I use LH and RH reels, and the spools generally look similar with line on them.
I'm a lefty, I always wondered what was the difference between a LH spool and a RH spool :?:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm

TommyG wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:I carry a few extra reels. It can get a little complicated because I use LH and RH reels, and the spools generally look similar with line on them.
I'm a lefty, I always wondered what was the difference between a LH spool and a RH spool :?:
It's the direction the line is on the spool.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 am

I fish from the bank and normally only use one setup per trip.
I have extra spools at home and decide before I go fishing whether to use one spool or another (shallow/deep, mono or braid). Some times I carry extra spools with me (e.g. a DIY spool in a plastic case), however, mostly I bring an extra reel with a different line or different braking system.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 am

zodiak311 wrote:
TommyG wrote:
It's the direction the line is on the spool.
Gotcha, Thanks, never really thought about it, but sure, if you flip the spool around the line will come off the bottom of the spool. That's why I like TT!!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 am

I have a Plano box that I keep a couple spare reels, spools, bearings, etc in. If I'm going on vacation, I take it with me. For day trips, I leave it at home.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 pm

You can fit 3 or 4 spools in a hard glasses case. Add some packing material and they won't move around. Works well for me.

MAChucker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by MAChucker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

I carry two, one is for my jig setup so I can swap between braid or fluoro depending on the conditions, and the other is for my smaller swimbait setup so I can change between copoly and braid depending on the lure I'm fishing.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 pm

you can fit 12 BC spools in a 3600. they wont move around if you keep them in the bubble wrap they come in. never take them on the water though.