wading reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

wading reel

Post by timinmo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 pm

I wade fish a lot, the problem I have is finding a spinning reel that can take a dunking and not have issues. Years ago I was a loyal Shimano user but every model I tried would bind up after getting soaked. This drove me to Daiwa and I have been more or less happy with the results. Tonight a trip to the local creek resulted in my first gen. Fuego getting dunked and there after binding. After the fact I remembered that it had occurred before, too late.

So here is my question, does anyone know of a spinning reel that can take getting dunked and not suffer ill effects? I know if I disassemble the reel clean it out and re-lube, it will be fine. I want one that will not quit on me in the middle of a wade.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: wading reel

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:20 pm

I've been using an old school daiwa ss700 for a bunch of years and it's held up great despite being dunked a lot.. If you're wanting something modern, maybe one of the mag sealed reels would fit the bill. Never tried one myself tho since that old beast gets the job done, I've seen no reason to upgrade.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

A couple things to consider.

Reels haven't changed much over the years. Some brands have gotten better some far worse.

My reels fresh and salt spend quite a bit of time underwater.

Newer shimano reels below the new Ultegra and every single daiwa (not including the SS) use a locomotion level wind system instead of a worm gear.

Shimanos use a unique ar clutch. That is spectacular. But sensitive to debris and none but the stella sw, FI,and twinpower sw play well with lubricant.

Daiwa and others use a lego part one way clutch. But the clutch sleeve and needle bearings are more prone to corrosion. (but corrosion x oil and even grease can be used when it's warm out without it failing)

I mention these two as they do offer types of sealing. And AR clutches are generally what bind up a reel. Hence why PAbass75's SS still works fine. (should be a ratcheting Antireverse)

So if you go to a new reel. Mag seal or core protect. Unless you spend $$$ on reel it's not going to be fully sealed. And even if it is. During the summer...when it's hot out and the reel goes from 80 degrees into cooler water. It could pull water in..Verdict is still out on just how sealed FULLY magsealed reels are. I'm a believer as seen below...but I have ferrofluid (the really really good/ better than the daiwa stuff ) to replace if needed. ANd i now know how to service the magseal bearings and ar clutch seal.
below was my first attempt stripping mag sealed bearings. To give you an idea what you'd be up against.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCSHYQGNgY&t=248s :)

The best solution is preventative maintenance.
Pick up a tube of corrosion x grease. Lube the bearings with grease (it will slow them down and the reel as a whole but in the heat shouldn't be horrible.) And will keep them in good shape for a looooong time

RIght now the most effectively sealed reel for the money is the stradic. It has seals at the main shaft, ar clutch sleeve and the super stopped cap is sealed at the base. It also has no antirevers switch to allow water in. SO if you flood the handle side bearing housing with grease. It should offer a bit of protection. The drawback being. It's is not as simple as other reels to service. That and the ar clutch seal. May not be a true seal. Aquaholik (member here who posts on another site) showed pics of his and it had a .25mm gap. I worked on a pair...that i didn't see that gap. SO there may be some inconsistency or seal swell.

AND
THe Penn Clash. (but the sealed ball bearings in the freshwater sizes...I'm not sure how serviceable they are )

There is also the
Tsunami shield reel with lots of o ring seals...but the verdict is out on that.

For years surf casters were begging for a sealed reel besides a van stall...And for decades Penn Z's probably accounted for 99% of the grease put in fishing reels. As flooding the entire body cavity effectively waterproofed them...
Unfortunately fully packing a reel with an ar clutch bearing means if you're not careful grease can cause the ar clutch to fail......That....and it is not an easy task clearing out all the grease when it needs to be serviced. All while making the reel stiff.
I've done it over 200 times for my personal reels, friend's and SOL members. IT AIN"T FUN.
But a had a surf proof saragosa that benched my van staal.

Sorry for that wall of text. But there really isn't much out there.

Well there is a stella FI :)

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Do keep in mind, even though a functional Magseal sleeve or Magseal bearing might keep water out, there are quite a few other places on the reel, spin or baitcast, to allow water to get in if dunked, esp. prolonged.