Revo ALX help

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
versus158
Angler
Angler

Revo ALX help

Post by versus158 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 am

Hi guys,

So a couple of weeks ago I went and bought myself a Revo ALX. Really like the form factor and the sheer absence of weight, looks and feels just great.

Now problems started when I hit the water, I can't seem to cast with it unless I dial in the brakes super agressively or thumb it like there's no tomorrow. The slightest lack of attention turns into a serious backlash 95% of the time. Tried various diffrent baits, ranging from T rigs 1/4 and up to traps and top waters with similar results.
None of my other reels do this (MGXetreme, Revo Premier, Curado 70, lew's team pro lite), this hole thing tends to make fishing more frustrating than enjoyable.

Does anyone have any experience with this reel or abu's braking system that could help me fix this issue ?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Revo ALX help

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:55 am

The brakes on that reel are pretty touchy. When I had mine I actually had to use a lot of magnetic brakes. I guess thats just the way they are. I am used to Magforce Z brakes from Daiwa, and VBS system from Shimano. Overall they are a decent little reel, but way to small for me, and just felt cheap.
<")))><{

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 am

Yeah that's what I'm faced with. Having to turn the mag brakes at least 3/4 of the way up, and it seriously hampers the distance if I were fishing from a boat it wouldn't be an issue but I'm bound to the shore !

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 am

versus158 wrote:Hi guys,

So a couple of weeks ago I went and bought myself a Revo ALX. Really like the form factor and the sheer absence of weight, looks and feels just great.

Now problems started when I hit the water, I can't seem to cast with it unless I dial in the brakes super agressively or thumb it like there's no tomorrow. The slightest lack of attention turns into a serious backlash 95% of the time. Tried various diffrent baits, ranging from T rigs 1/4 and up to traps and top waters with similar results.
None of my other reels do this (MGXetreme, Revo Premier, Curado 70, lew's team pro lite), this hole thing tends to make fishing more frustrating than enjoyable.

Does anyone have any experience with this reel or abu's braking system that could help me fix this issue ?
I wrote about this not long ago, liner magnetic braking systems can be touchy. Might just be part of it... I hate to say that, but I was shocked that for $250 they didn't include better brakes. The STX even has a VBS style centrifugal and magnets, I really wish the ALX would have had the IVCB externally adjustable brakes like the MGX does. That system is great and copycat site on youtube tested the MGXtreme2 as out casting multiple other high end reels. Shame for $250 you pretty much get Revo SX braking...

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm

The braking system was my only hold up on this reel. I found it on sale and bought it for $200 and I'm glad I did. I use it mainly for light Texas rigs and jigheads anywhere from 1/8 ounce to 3/8 ounce. I just haven't tried it with many lures yet as I love how the reel fits my hand when I am jigging. I have my brake setting about halfway and have never had a backlash that required more than a slight pull of line to take up any slack. I might have my spool tension tighter or something, though, or maybe it's worse with heavier lures. I used it on the flats for speckled trout throwing an 1/8 ounce jighead and gulp shrimp and absolutely loved how light it was paired with my Point Blank 691 MXF. We got on the water at 6 and fished till 5 two days in a row and that combo was easy on the arms!

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks for all the input guys. Really want to like that reel, but these casting issues are such a major let down...

Any ideas on how to reduce the backlash without completely ruining distance ?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 am

I have a Revo LTX with MagTrax, I have to adjust the spool tension "old school" especially with light lures, set it till the bait just barely drops, the brakes are at 3/4 or so. Floro is very touchy on it as well. About 4g-7g . Distance is about 40-50 ft.
Good Luck!!

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:19 am

versus158 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. Really want to like that reel, but these casting issues are such a major let down...

Any ideas on how to reduce the backlash without completely ruining distance ?

You didn't say in your original post, but how do you set the cast control cap? Most of the time I tighten it down just enough to stop the side to side play in the spool. This gives you max distance, but is going to require more braking force. Then I use braking and thumb to control the spool. I've found with the Scorpion and Curado 70, I had to increase the force on the cast control cap to tame the spool. That was with Fluoro, Hybrid and Braided line.

What line are you using? If it's Fluoro, that can play a huge factor in controlling the spool depending on how you are applying the braking force.

Start by turning your breaks to about 3/4 of the way on. Tighten the cast control cap down a 1/8 turn. Then back your breaks off some. Do this until you find a happy medium.

Applying more force with the CCC will shorten your distance some. That said, I will gladly trade a few feet for more control of my spool.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:33 am

In my opinion the MagTrax brakesystem is really good for jigs and especially smaller jigs. But for hardbaits I prefer the IVCB and Infinibrakesystem - for smaller hardbaits the IVCB and for bigger ones the Infinibrakesystem.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Under the heading of stepping on my own....laces, I had trouble with constant backlashes after I put 17 lb fluoro onto my MGX Extreme reel, instead of the 12 lb I had been using.
Turned out the brake control dial goes from off to full on in a clockwise direction, instead of counter-clockwise, like so many of my other reels.
So I had been casting with the brakes off. Doh!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks for al the input guys.

I have the reel spooled up with 10 pound berkley trilene XL fluoro. It's not that bad to manage.

I tend to set my spool tension pretty loose on my other reels (just removing side to side play), but on this one I have to tighten down quite a bit and then some more. If I go with my standard setting all hell sets loose.

Maybe my casting technique isn't adapted for those brakes.