New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am

I have three but I want more!!!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:48 am

I bought it at TW.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-D3SV.html do u know if it is salt safe?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 am

From what I gather, they are salt safe. Probably the most underrated Daiwa made! It was only available from mid-2015 through mid-2017 and went under the radar until after most all were sold out. I have two of the XS and one H (all righties) that are NIB. I don't even know if I want to use all of them since I was told they may be one of those reels that command super high prices later on since they cover literally every base Daiwa needed to cover for an all around durable, functional, and versatile reel.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 am

I used the SV103 in salt and the drag got sticky for like 10 mins of fishing. I had to play around to the drag before it loosened up and went back to normal. Edit: Just ordered the Steez A. Hope it turns out good.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:I used the SV103 in salt and the drag got sticky for like 10 mins of fishing. I had to play around to the drag before it loosened up and went back to normal. Edit: Just ordered the Steez A. Hope it turns out good.
Good to know. That takes the SV103 out of my consideration.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:I used the SV103 in salt and the drag got sticky for like 10 mins of fishing. I had to play around to the drag before it loosened up and went back to normal. Edit: Just ordered the Steez A. Hope it turns out good.
If you are now considering reels over 7 oz get one of these :evil:

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
=D> =D>

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Don't get me wrong the SV103 is a great reel. I think the drag was just little sticky from salt buildup or something but it freed right up after a couple minutes playing with it. Keep in mind I only used that reel like 3 times too.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Yeah. I have the 2016 Antares DC. Reely nice reel! Just not enough line capacity for what I want to do, also not the most comfortable reel to palm. Plus it is quite exepnsive. With some trick, I can get the Steez A for around 320 USD. The Exscence is almost twice that cost.

Maybe as a next reel..

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Got the TW order today. 

4 reels I ordered to compare:

* Daiwa SV Casting Reel 103XSL
* Daiwa Steez A TW Casting Reel 1016HL
* Daiwa Zillion HD Casting Reel 100HSL
* Shimano Metanium MGL Casting Reel 151HG

My resume:

Did not like the feel of the SV103 in my hand (on the rod) for some reason --> Out
The Daiwa Zillion HD had a sturdy feel to it, though I did not like the round handles and also the weight was a bit more than I would like --> Out
Daiwa Steez A. and Metanium I spooled up with 15 pound Yo-Zuri Hybrid Fishing Line Clear and went on a field and casted a few times with a 1oz lipless crankbait. 

My result:
Distance wise: they are about the same, though the Metanium was a bit less effort. 
LIne capacity: I can see that there is more left on the Steez when I bomb it out, but it should be fine if I put braid on the reel with a mono leader
Retrieve. Here the handle of the Metanium just felt sooo much better. The Steez almost hurt a bit when reeling in.

Final decision: I am gonna keep the Metanium. (Slowly turning into a Shimano man with my Conquest, Antares and now Metanium). 
Let's hope I made the right decision! :)

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Only thing with metaniums is salt. I did have the metanium 2013, held up fine in salt but I had to be extra careful not to scratch it. Magnesium and Salt do not go well together from what I have read. I have never experienced this first hand, but I do not want too.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:Where did you get the SV103?
Ha, that's what I thought. Been hunting a right handed 7.9 for a long time, I bet money this was a left hand purchase.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/daiwa-s ... tcast-reel

There's stock of the 7.9 rh here. Full retail, but if you want it new I think it's the last retailer with any left. Being a primarily Shimano Met/Alde guy I figured I'd take a flyer on one. You Daiwa honkies better not leave me disappointed (only ever owned a Tat and a Pixzilla. Like the pixy, not a huge fan of the tatula.) I surely don't need the thing, but I want to see what the fuss is about. This reel seems to have quite the cult following. For those of you that own it, do you like it because of all the aftermarket options or because it's good for skipping or what?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:22 am

I have 2 Steez A reels and cant fault either of them, first i have heard of issues is this thread
. One of them has a noticeable louder drag clicker than the other but both are still silky smooth.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:34 am

freelancer27 wrote:
I've used my SV103 exclusively in the salt for over a dozen kayak trips: zero issues with the drag or anything else for that matter. I did wipe down and regrease the drag washers with Cal's.

A simple (gentle) freshwater rinse with the drag locked down, then spool and sideplate taken off to air dry has been all the maintenance required after fishing trips.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 am

bassbassontherange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:Where did you get the SV103?
Ha, that's what I thought. Been hunting a right handed 7.9 for a long time, I bet money this was a left hand purchase.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/daiwa-s ... tcast-reel

There's stock of the 7.9 rh here. Full retail, but if you want it new I think it's the last retailer with any left. Being a primarily Shimano Met/Alde guy I figured I'd take a flyer on one. You Daiwa honkies better not leave me disappointed (only ever owned a Tat and a Pixzilla. Like the pixy, not a huge fan of the tatula.) I surely don't need the thing, but I want to see what the fuss is about. This reel seems to have quite the cult following. For those of you that own it, do you like it because of all the aftermarket options or because it's good for skipping or what?
It's a TD Zillion SV. The TD Zillion is loved because it is a workhorse and an absolute tank of a reel. The SV part is liked because it is very well controlled and is great at skipping yet can still cast for distance pretty well and can tame the wind. It's a great reel to pair to a worm and jig rod. It also has hidden BFS potential due to the light weight stock spool and myriad of spools that will drop in.