New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Post by runmax08 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 am

Abu revo STX - torque, and under 7 ounces.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 am

1/4 to 1.5 oz is a pretty big range. 1 oz plus is a lot for the little MGXtreme 2... There are a few reviews out stating that they are HEAVILY finesse oriented reels. I think they are smaller frame wise than even the Alphas, so that would be tough.
A Zillion SV TW might handle salt/inshore better than the Steez TW because of the lack of magnesium, not really sure on that, but I know the Zillion is under 7oz.
I think the Metanium's magnesium constructed is rated safe for inshore/salt, so it should be a good candidate too.

Just depends on exactly what that 1.5oz lure is I guess and line size too, I think most could handle it, but to narrow further, what do you NORMALLY use?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 am

DirtyD64 wrote:1/4 to 1.5 oz is a pretty big range. 1 oz plus is a lot for the little MGXtreme 2... There are a few reviews out stating that they are HEAVILY finesse oriented reels. I think they are smaller frame wise than even the Alphas, so that would be tough.
A Zillion SV TW might handle salt/inshore better than the Steez TW because of the lack of magnesium, not really sure on that, but I know the Zillion is under 7oz.
I think the Metanium's magnesium constructed is rated safe for inshore/salt, so it should be a good candidate too.

Just depends on exactly what that 1.5oz lure is I guess and line size too, I think most could handle it, but to narrow further, what do you NORMALLY use?
THanks for your answer. I looked at the Zillion. Just did not think that it is on par with a higher end reel.

The big variety comes from the fact that I threw anything from a 1/4 spinnerbait to a 1.5oz swimbait on the Daiwa Steez A, and it worked. Might just get the 6.3:1 ratio if the 7 is out of stock. Might make the reel more useful for crankbaits as well..

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 am

Consider the Revo ALX. Metal frame, tiny size, under 6 oz weight. I've had mine for a couple of months and have been pleasantly surprised.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:15 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Consider the Revo ALX. Metal frame, tiny size, under 6 oz weight. I've had mine for a couple of months and have been pleasantly surprised.

It is an interesting choice. I have a Abu Revo Rocket. Good reel, but I dont feel it is up to the standard of a steez (of course it is half the price).

So I am strongly shifting towards the Steez. Are there any reviews out there for the Daiwa Steez SV TWS? Would love to know a bit more about the durability (freshwater only).

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:14 pm

My guess is that the e clip that holds the stabiliser bar in place (on the palm side of the frame) fell out, and the other end of the bar was left to rattle in the gear box side?

Anyway, if you're happy with the Steez A, it should be more rugged and durable than the Sv tw.

Just get a refund and buy it from somewhere else?

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Thinking about buying this reel, should I still buy it or avoid it due to this problem... hmmm

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:10 pm

I think the Zillion SV is more quality than some realize. Best thing should be Daiwa's warranty behind it. I'm sketched out by the TWS flood and Thailand manufacturer, but they're not so bad. I would still give anything for an aluminum framed steez SV (non TW) and maybe a clicker w/ the non disengaging levelwind of the alphas too if I can ask for anything...

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:15 pm

I'ved owned a zillion sv tws and a sv103. For some reason they do not satisfy me. I do not know why. I want to buy a steez A but seeing this post has made me worried because it is a pricey reel and things like that should not happen. I do fish saltwater that is why this reel sparked my interest.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:Thinking about buying this reel, should I still buy it or avoid it due to this problem... hmmm
I am not sure if it was just a lemon or not. I can honestly not imagine that Daiwa would do a bad job with one of their flagship reels (the reel is also built in Japan).

I think I will give it another try. What do others think?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:Thinking about buying this reel, should I still buy it or avoid it due to this problem... hmmm
I am not sure if it was just a lemon or not. I can honestly not imagine that Daiwa would do a bad job with one of their flagship reels (the reel is also built in Japan).

I think I will give it another try. What do others think?
I'd give it a shot again, can't hurt. I bought a Nissan Titan straight out of high school, it had some issues on and off. I swore off of them, a few friends gave them a shot later who had them before and were pleasantly surprised the second time. So either way, lesson is that lemons do occur and sometimes they turn people from great products they'd otherwise really enjoy.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 am

I think "made in Japan" can be misleading. Most reel manufacturers have the components manufactured somewhere else, and then assembled where they're "made". It's just the economic model that lets us buy reels at "affordable" prices. There's bound to be a few bad parts that get past inspection.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 am

Well,

I ordered 4 reels to compare:

- Steel A in 6:3.1 ( since the faster ratio is out)

- Metanium MGL in 7 ratio

- Daiwa SV103 in 7.9 ratio (is that reel saltwater proo?)
- Daiwa Zillion HD (seems to be saltwater proffed, but can not find a official statement on it)

Will check them out and see which one I like best and have most faith in.

I d use the Metanium, but the line rating concerns me since it is only 12/100 and I want to put 15-16 pound mono on it and I rete a lot.

Which one would you choose?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am

Where did you get the SV103?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:23 am

Big-Bass wrote:Where did you get the SV103?
Ha, that's what I thought. Been hunting a right handed 7.9 for a long time, I bet money this was a left hand purchase.