2017 Daiwa Steez Hi-Speed spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RaunoK
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

2017 Daiwa Steez Hi-Speed spinning reel

Post by RaunoK » Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi!

After hours of searching in void I thought I'd try this forum. If I can't get an answer from here, there probably is no answer :) So here goes my first post:

I recently visited Japan and could not leave without some tackle. Amongst it, the new 2017 Daiwa Steez Hi-Speed TYPE-I. Extremely light and smooth.

However, one thing that I found weird was that it has no magsealed parts. Looking at the effort Daiwa makes to establish magseal as industry standard (also on lower end reels), I haven't been able to find any information about why the Steez is not magsealed.

Does anyone have any insight or thoughts about this?

Or does anyone speak Japanese and would be so kind as to make a summary about this overview of the reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAJiLuJj48? Perhaps there's some clue, why the magseal was not used on the Steez?

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2017 Daiwa Steez Hi-Speed spinning reel

Post by Dug » Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 am

My guess is to save almost 1.5 ounces off the weight of the reel and advertise it as the lightest Daiwa spinning reel to date, they went without the Magseal and waterproof packing. This is based on the remarks found on the PLAT.co.jp website though and by no means is anything other than a guess.

"This is most light weight in DAIWA.
This model is not MAGSEALED model.
Waterproofing packing was also removed.
This reel cannot used in saltwater."

Dug