Metanium MGL gear upgrade

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Metanium MGL gear upgrade

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Awhile back in one of the MGL threads, someone mentioned swapping out the aluminum gears of the Met MGL with those from an Antares I believe. Can't find the thread anymore, but wondering if it worked?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium MGL gear upgrade

Post by phatbass » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

no it won't work,I actually was thinking if i can find a machine shop that can make these sets in brass.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 am

phatbass wrote:no it won't work,I actually was thinking if i can find a machine shop that can make these sets in brass.
I think machining a set of brass gears as a one off would cost more than a new reel.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:11 am

mark poulson wrote:
phatbass wrote:no it won't work,I actually was thinking if i can find a machine shop that can make these sets in brass.
I think machining a set of brass gears as a one off would cost more than a new reel.

Agreed.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Couldn't figure out what thread that question came up in, but I did try them out, and no they didn't work. Very few Shimano gear sets will swap from platform to platform, their gears are pretty specific.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 am

mark poulson wrote:
if it were not to crazy i would get quite a few sets and sell some, but i know that stuff would cost a small for fortune

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 am

Has anyone tried a chronarch MGL grear set? it pretty much the same reel!
The gears swap in the Curado 70 to the 200i, so there is some interchangeability.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:34 am

illini wrote:Has anyone tried a chronarch MGL grear set? it pretty much the same reel!
The gears swap in the Curado 70 to the 200i, so there is some interchangeability.
Ci4 set wasn't even close, so I would say that the MGL set wouldn't work either, since the frame didn't change.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
illini wrote:Has anyone tried a chronarch MGL grear set? it pretty much the same reel!
Ci4 set wasn't even close, so I would say that the MGL set wouldn't work either, since the frame didn't change.
Well that bites!