Curado 70 // Tatula SV shootout??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 70 // Tatula SV shootout??

Post by joekaz » Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Slazmo wrote:If i were given the coin for either reel...

Im sorry Shimano, I've ben loyal for years and years but Daiwa gets my vote over and over again with the Tatula CT. If you dont want the T Wing line guide buy thr new Fuego, thats exactly the same guts as the CT for all comparisons, but the conventional line guide on it.

Pretty sure a Fuego will make a home in one of the old Shimano holes I'm making...
With the junk bearings Shimano is putting in there new reels, I agree.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am

joekaz wrote:

Im sorry Shimano, I've ben loyal for years and years but Daiwa gets my vote over and over again with the Tatula CT. If you dont want the T Wing line guide buy thr new Fuego, thats exactly the same guts as the CT for all comparisons, but the conventional line guide on it.

Pretty sure a Fuego will make a home in one of the old Shimano holes I'm making...
What makes you say that?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

don;t hear much complain about shimano bearings....they been the same for a long time

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 pm

mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:

What makes you say that?
(Scorpion 71)-pinion bearing went after 1 trip. (Curado 71)- rough retrieve and drag issue so Shimano replaced all bearings. Returned reel was still rough. I sent it back and Shimano sent me a new one but new reel is not that smooth. (Metanium 13)- bad pinion bearing after 5 months. (Citica 201)-sent back to Shimano 3 times for bad bearings and gears. Reel is now rougher than ever but the warranty ran out so I gave up. (Chronarch CI4)+- Clutch failure after 5 months. A reel tech on another forum has mentioned that the pinion and x-ship bearing failure is fairly common.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm

joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:

What makes you say that?
(Scorpion 71)-pinion bearing went after 1 trip. (Curado 71)- rough retrieve and drag issue so Shimano replaced all bearings. Returned reel was still rough. I sent it back and Shimano sent me a new one but new reel is not that smooth. (Metanium 13)- bad pinion bearing after 5 months. (Citica 201)-sent back to Shimano 3 times for bad bearings and gears. Reel is now rougher than ever but the warranty ran out so I gave up. (Chronarch CI4)+- Clutch failure after 5 months. A reel tech on another forum has mentioned that the pinion and x-ship bearing failure is fairly common.
I am surprised to hear that.
In fairness, the last Shimano reels I bought were four Chronarch MG50s, the year that they came out with the Core.
Maybe they have changed their bearing supplier. My four MG50s have never had bearing troubles. When I sent them to Ian Sheilds for service 4+- years ago, I don't think he had to replace any of the bearings, just a plastic gear on one of the level winds.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

I think its fair if we compare new for new. Any reel can have issues however past issues can hugely sway future purchases!

All things constant i dont see much value in the new Shimano range. Well nothing that can be matched and bettered by adding more bearings and a few customizations that will add value to the user.

I couldnt buy a Curado 70 $299 (AUD) vs Tatula CT for $150 (USD / AUD purch) delivered - add 4 bearings and BFS spool and ceramics and I'm still within that stock Curado price but with a much better platform.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:

What makes you say that?
May I ask what kind of fishing you do?

and who was the reel tech.....:) I'm just curious (you can pm me if you wish) I have a guess.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:

What makes you say that?
May I ask what kind of fishing you do?

and who was the reel tech.....:) I'm just curious (you can pm me if you wish) I have a guess.
Just bass fishing.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 am

Sub $200 reels have never been so good i think their both great reels.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 26, 2017 7:18 am

illini wrote:Sub $200 reels have never been so good i think their both great reels.
I have only recently spent more than $150 for a reel. I've bought the closeout models of reels that were $200, but I found them at half price.
I've found cheaper reels, since the move to computer assisted machining (basically the last ten years), are really good, by and large. They aren't sexy, and don't have fanboys, but you can fish them all day, day in and day out, no problem.
I've never had a bearing failure, either out of the box or after long use. I do oil my bearings, and grease my gears, but I'm not fanatical about it.
I like to fish, and keeping my tackle in good shape, like keeping my tools sharp, makes the job easier and more enjoyable, even though it's not "the latest and greatest".

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

I still am waiting to see how the Tatula SV compares to the Zillion SV. If it is anywhere close, I think the Curado 70 has some big shoes to fill.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 pm

RE: Shimano bearings, I've never had a problem with any Shimano bearings in any reel. I've had three 70's, a Citica 200 I and Curado 200 I, and a Casitas in the newer lineups and they were all fine. In fact, the 70 stock is a dang fine reel.

However, I just got a Tatula SV and now I'm back on the Daiwa train. I've tried two SV spools now, only briefly, and that is some fine technology.

All of that said, both are fantastic reels at their price point and can't go wrong with either. I just give slight edge to the Daiwa, especially on the light bait front.