Recommendations

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
breamtim
Angler
Angler

Recommendations

Post by breamtim » Sun May 14, 2017 11:59 am

Hi guys
In the market for a new reel. Looking at something mostly throwing baits weighing 3/16-3/4oz, going on a trip up to northern Australia chasing Barra. Probably going to run 15lb braid. Currently looking at an Exsence DC or a Metanium 13 or MGL. Will be used in saltwater too, I understand these 3 are all saltwater fine. What would you guys recommend?
Also, wondering about the 'finesse' capabilities of the exsence- how does it go throwing 3/16oz or 1/4oz baits? Or would I be better off getting a Metanium for these weights?
Thanks heaps, Tim

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Recommendations

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I have 2 of the 3 reels on your list ... The Met MGL and the older Exscence DC. Note: have not used the newest Exscence DC that clears $500. For me I would probably be looking at two different reels but no doubt the Met MGL would fish the light and the heavy stuff better. I have tossed weightless plastics to whopper ploppers on mine and does well with both. If the Met MGL is indeed saltwater safe that would be my choice if I can only pick one reel. With that said IMO the Exscence DC excels more with baits 3/8 oz and up. Anything 1/2 oz to an 1 oz it really flings them a great ways. My recommendation would be the Met MGL if you are truly using a fair amount of 3/16 and 1/4 oz baits. The Exscence, like any other DC reel is a joy to fish with the whine and fun to use break settings not to mention the drag clicks when a sizeable fish pulls drag.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun May 14, 2017 9:17 pm

breamtim wrote:Hi guys
In the market for a new reel. Looking at something mostly throwing baits weighing 3/16-3/4oz, going on a trip up to northern Australia chasing Barra. Probably going to run 15lb braid. Currently looking at an Exsence DC or a Metanium 13 or MGL. Will be used in saltwater too, I understand these 3 are all saltwater fine. What would you guys recommend?
Also, wondering about the 'finesse' capabilities of the exsence- how does it go throwing 3/16oz or 1/4oz baits? Or would I be better off getting a Metanium for these weights?
Thanks heaps, Tim
The MGL has ported sides on its spool - not good for saltwater intrusion onto the spool shaft/bearings. I have the Met 13 and found that it soon develops vibration on the retrieve due to the alloy drive gear. Have replaced the gear set, the pinion bearing, the anti-reverse bearing and the shaft sleeve, but it still vibrates after a couple of trips. Others call this a 'geary' feel, and it seems to be a known issue with this reel. Don't have the MGL, but it has the same gear set. 15 lb braid is quite light for barra, most use 30 lb which is still fine for throwing 5g and up provided you use a CR723 Loomis or equivalent rod. My barra reels include a Conquest 100HG, several Scorpion XT1000s, a Calais 100A, a Curado 200E7 (with a Chronarch 200E6 gear set), and a Millionaire CVX103A (with gigas spool, a Pixy type R 6.8 gear set, 2 extra bearings and adjustable brake plate). Don't use my 13 Met because the vibration bugs me. The new Steez A might be worth a look, as it is designed for saltwater and has an alloy frame. A pity is has alloy gears though, wish they were brass....

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks guys

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Tue May 16, 2017 10:57 am

So I'm still choosing between the met mgl and the 13- found a 13 with a zpi NRC713PG spool fitted for only a little bit extra- is this much of an upgrade over the stock spool and brake system, as I'm going to be throwing lighter lures (3/16oz+) ? Or am I best just getting a stock reel for a bit cheaper? Thanks

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue May 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Zillion SV 7.3 ticks all those boxes. Cast down to 1/8oz, saltwater friendly, 13lb drag, great distance & loads of optional spool choices(although the one in it is highly regarded). $250ish.
Worth considering.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

Hi,

I would like to throw in the Daiwa Steez Aluminium. I tested the Metanium as well, but did not like it because it did not feel as smooth and also the finish on it was not to the standard that I expected from such an expensive reel.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 am

I've got all 3 reels(if you are talking about the 12 Exsence DC) and saltwater not withstanding I'd choose the MGL. Casts a little better than the other 2 and a little smoother. That Exsence has a special feel to it though :) I'd never give mine up.