Help with SV spool inductor

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help with SV spool inductor

Post by bigturtle » Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am

I just noticed the inductor on my SV spool can move. As you can see in the images, it can be moved up and down, making it stick out more or less from the spool in its resting position. I have no idea which position its suppose to at. Can you guys help me out? Its on a zillion sv

Out position:

In position:

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help with SV spool inductor

Post by TommyG » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am

It is supposed to move. The inductor extends into the magnets the faster it spins. It is not supposed to "stick" in the up or down position.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 am

TommyG wrote:It is supposed to move. The inductor extends into the magnets the faster it spins. It is not supposed to "stick" in the up or down position.
yes i know, but in the resting position, as in without any force to move the springy inductor up or down, the inductor itself can be moved, resulting in more or less or it being exposed. if you look at the pictures, those are in its resting position. my spring is not stuck, the inductor twists and moves in and out a few mm like its suppose to.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am

What's happening when you twist it and it sticks like that is the dreaded stuck inductor. It's not a feature of the spool for it to stay that way. For me, in practice, that only ever happens with a sudden stop from a backlash and you have to twist it for the spring to push it back in. Also, there appears to be a huge scrape on the inside of that inductor, and that definitely shouldn't be there. If it's new, I'd send it back for a replacement.
This is the way.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am

poisonokie wrote:What's happening when you twist it and it sticks like that is the dreaded stuck inductor. It's not a feature of the spool for it to stay that way. For me, in practice, that only ever happens with a sudden stop from a backlash and you have to twist it for the spring to push it back in. Also, there appears to be a huge scrape on the inside of that inductor, and that definitely shouldn't be there. If it's new, I'd send it back for a replacement.
The gash is an accidental scratch, only surface paint scrape, nothing serious. My spring isnt stuck, the inductor will spring back if its pulled out. What im asking is different. The spring is fine, the black and white plastic pieces that help to push out the inductor during rotation is fine, the inductor itself is fine. What's not fine is the position of the inductor. when I twist/slide it out, the inductor permanently sits further out, and can be pushed out more by the rotation of the spool, and when the spool stops, it goes back in its original place. See pics 2nd and 4th pictures from the top? those are in its normal positions. they can be further pushed out, and pulled back in by the spring. My indictor itself, the round part, can be slid up and down the center piece, making it higher/lower. Is it suppose to be higher like picture 2? or lower like picture 4? Sorry if my question is confusing, im not good at explaining.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 pm

It's supposed to be in the lower position at rest.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I literally just got my Zillion SV in the mail, and after examining it, the white beveled inductor rotator thing shouldn't allow the spool to stick, at least not how original "sticking" was described...

The white piece mine has doesn't have a gap for the black piece to catch in. I am thinking you have some bolts or springs loose, something isn't right. I would send it back if new (the position should be like picture 4, closer to the spool). Is there more to the story? When did it start, were you working on it or drop and parts? Just trying to CSI the situation for you...

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 am

How'd you put that gash in it? :-k

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 am

spookybaits wrote:How'd you put that gash in it? :-k
accidental scratch.
DirtyD64 wrote:I literally just got my Zillion SV in the mail, and after examining it, the white beveled inductor rotator thing shouldn't allow the spool to stick, at least not how original "sticking" was described...

The white piece mine has doesn't have a gap for the black piece to catch in. I am thinking you have some bolts or springs loose, something isn't right. I would send it back if new (the position should be like picture 4, closer to the spool). Is there more to the story? When did it start, were you working on it or drop and parts? Just trying to CSI the situation for you...
my inductor isnt stuck, at least not the way people think it is.

I think i found the problem. The black piece and the inductor it self is not very snug when fitted together. This causes the inductor to move up ever so slightly everytime i skip a bait and suddenly stop the spool.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am

Should i glue the black piece and the inductor together? Its perfectly fine when normally casting, but when I skip really hard, things happen.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:08 pm

OHHH I see what you mean, where the inductor connects to the plastic beveled piece is loose. I am sorry, I get it now, its like it is coming disassembled, right?
Unless you just really, really need it, I would send to Daiwa. Accidents happen, they shouldn't make a fuss about the scrape on the inductor or claim it caused it.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I think I would get a new spool from the Tackle Trap while I sent the other one out to be fixed.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 pm

bigturtle wrote:Should i glue the black piece and the inductor together? Its perfectly fine when normally casting, but when I skip really hard, things happen.
I just took one of mine apart. Seems like that black ramp was affixed pretty tightly to the inductor. May be worth doing so.

I didn't want to force it out of mine.

I also shaved down the lip on the inductor to see if it's max speed braking is lowered a bit.

Leonellissimo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Leonellissimo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:28 am

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Leonellissimo wrote:I hope this can help you.

http://kenken-020412.blogspot.com/2013/ ... edy_3.html
That was for the old 1st generation sv spools. Daiwa has designed a newer lower inductor ramp that solves the stuck inductor problem. All of the newer sv spools already have them from the factory. For the old spools it’s a simple 5 minute fix.