Help with Bait finesse or BFS setups

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scoobs55
Angler
Angler

Re: Help with Bait finesse or BFS setups

Post by Scoobs55 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:14 pm

LowRange wrote:
Scoobs55 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Another good rod is the kuying leadership 72L. Its more like a Volkey BFS stick than the Teton which is similar to the Finetail which is a trout rod. It depends on what you want to do with the rod.

Teton 662L: soft UL trout stick that is great for 1/8 oz hard baits targeting small bass, sunfish and trout.

Leadership 722L: great budget Volkey alturnative. A little long but has good backbone and is great with small jigs and plastics up to 1/4 oz total weight.

Topcaster 72ML: don't have this one yet but it a mod fast ML rated 1/8 to 3/8. Should he great at 1/4 oz total weight.
I really want an UL or L Teton, the price is nice and the rod looks great.
What types of baits are you looking to throw and what species will you be targeting?
Im in the southeastern United States and will be targeting primarily Largemouth Bass. I am not to sure on lures but im thinking, small jigs, small soft plastic swimbaits, small spinnerbaits, maybe trick worm/senko, a beetle spin. All of course under 5g. Im lost kinda haha!

Scoobs55
Angler
Angler

Post by Scoobs55 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 pm

poisonokie wrote:People do seem to like those rods, too. Strike king and booyah both make little finesse spinnerbaits. If you like inline spinners, Mepp's has models that go as light as you want to go. Small Kastmaster and Super-Duper spoons are great choices, too. Strike king bitsy bug jigs are decent. My favorite, though, are the various Keitech tungsten Guard and Mono Spin Jigs with little 3-4" Keitech trailers. They're harder to come by and pricier, so it sucks when you lose one, but they are top notch and bass and bream love 'em. The hooks are small and light wire, but strong and ridiculously sharp. If you search online, Keitech has all kinds of great suggestions about how to rig and fish these.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keitech/ ... -KEIT.html
Oh and would a 2.5gr jig work better than the 3/16oz bitsy bugs?

Scoobs55
Angler
Angler

Post by Scoobs55 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:18 pm

poisonokie wrote:People do seem to like those rods, too. Strike king and booyah both make little finesse spinnerbaits. If you like inline spinners, Mepp's has models that go as light as you want to go. Small Kastmaster and Super-Duper spoons are great choices, too. Strike king bitsy bug jigs are decent. My favorite, though, are the various Keitech tungsten Guard and Mono Spin Jigs with little 3-4" Keitech trailers. They're harder to come by and pricier, so it sucks when you lose one, but they are top notch and bass and bream love 'em. The hooks are small and light wire, but strong and ridiculously sharp. If you search online, Keitech has all kinds of great suggestions about how to rig and fish these.

Or for the UL 1-5g rod would the 1/16oz keitech jigs be better? Too light? What kinda trailer?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Scoobs55 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Scoobs55 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Another good rod is the kuying leadership 72L. Its more like a Volkey BFS stick than the Teton which is similar to the Finetail which is a trout rod. It depends on what you want to do with the rod.

Teton 662L: soft UL trout stick that is great for 1/8 oz hard baits targeting small bass, sunfish and trout.

Leadership 722L: great budget Volkey alturnative. A little long but has good backbone and is great with small jigs and plastics up to 1/4 oz total weight.

Topcaster 72ML: don't have this one yet but it a mod fast ML rated 1/8 to 3/8. Should he great at 1/4 oz total weight.
What types of baits are you looking to throw and what species will you be targeting?
Im in the southeastern United States and will be targeting primarily Largemouth Bass. I am not to sure on lures but im thinking, small jigs, small soft plastic swimbaits, small spinnerbaits, maybe trick worm/senko, a beetle spin. All of course under 5g. Im lost kinda haha!
You don't want the UL Teton for that. Those baits are going to be too much for the rod. The Teton you're after is the 662L. personally I think the Leadership 722L is better suited to targeting bass. A two pounder will put a helova bend into a Teton. As long as you enjoy playing the fish and having fun then the Teton will work. Despite the 10g upper limit the rod is out of gas past 7g 3/16 oz. The rod's sweet spot is 3 - 7 grams.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Be advised the weight of the soft plastic trailer can be considetable. A 1/16 lead head and 3 inch trailer can easily weigh over 1/8 oz. A 1/10 Shroomz head and TRD (which floats) is 3/16 oz total weight. An 1/8 lead head and trailer can be 1/4 oz or more.

Scoobs55
Angler
Angler

Post by Scoobs55 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 pm

LowRange wrote:
Scoobs55 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Scoobs55 wrote:

You don't want the UL Teton for that. Those baits are going to be too much for the rod. The Teton you're after is the 662L. personally I think the Leadership 722L is better suited to targeting bass. A two pounder will put a helova bend into a Teton. As long as you enjoy playing the fish and having fun then the Teton will work. Despite the 10g upper limit the rod is out of gas past 7g 3/16 oz. The rod's sweet spot is 3 - 7 grams.
Hmmm. Idk whether to get the UL or L, several have warned of the L. If I got the UL, what should I use for lures.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 am

I think that st croix legen gulf coast is still up on croix's site.

nice stick for 150 bucks.

I throw 1/10 with no issues. And if i really want to I can throw 1/16 (minnow baits not jig heads and worms that weigh almost a quarter ounce)

It's rated to something silly like 1/32 to 1/16
But I love it for stuff as high as Jackall siera minnow 80s

It just loads deeper with no harm to the rod at all.

surprisingly nice cork too

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Scoobs55 wrote:

Or for the UL 1-5g rod would the 1/16oz keitech jigs be better? Too light? What kinda trailer?
No, it shouldn't be too light with the plastics. The Live Impact and Custom Leeches are great for the 1/16 mono spin and the 2-3" swing impacts are great for the 1/8 guard spin jig.
This is the way.

Scoobs55
Angler
Angler

Post by Scoobs55 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:14 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Scoobs55 wrote:

No, it shouldn't be too light with the plastics. The Live Impact and Custom Leeches are great for the 1/16 mono spin and the 2-3" swing impacts are great for the 1/8 guard spin jig.
What do you think bout me using my lews reel with the Teton rod. Lews said it's possible if I'm skilled enough and the rod is good enough.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 pm

I've not used the lew's you're referring too, but looking at the line capacity I would say get a different reel unless you have a really educated thumb.
1/8 ounce and up http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_SV ... -D5SV.html
Under 1/8th https://japanlureshop.com/reel/daiwa/da ... s-air.html
I personally use the alphas air for the keitech 1/16 and 1/8 jigs, they're insanely small :lol: