Backlash!!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Backlash!!!

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 1:16 am

ayo8 wrote:I bring an extra reel spool ready to go with shooter or braid (whatever im using that day) per reel. Its a quick swap out when my reel gets bird-nested; rarely does it happen, but it does on windy days.

I know it can be expensive, depending on what reel/spool you have, but Im not about to spend more than 5 mins picking, cutting and re-spooling it :x

You can probably pick up an extra backup spool fairly cheap, if you look hard enough.
Good idea!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 am

ayo8 wrote:I bring an extra reel spool ready to go with shooter or braid (whatever im using that day) per reel. Its a quick swap out when my reel gets bird-nested; rarely does it happen, but it does on windy days.
That's too much trouble. I just bring a few extra reels ;) :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:23 am

Cal wrote:
I put extra bearings in my Tatula HD and did the same thing... Had the brakes on zero and went to heave a 1/2oz swim jig w/ a 4.8 Keitech. That Sunline Flippin FC went everywhere but I somehow got it out with the tight drag and thumb trick...

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:41 am

Cal wrote:
Lol. Youre a step ahead =D>

Might as well bring extra rods attached with those reels, too :D. Aint nobody got time swapping reels, picking/cutting, re-spooling line when bass are busting shad all around you. :D

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 am

ayo8 wrote:Might as well bring extra rods attached with those reels, too :D. Aint nobody got time swapping reels, picking/cutting, re-spooling line when bass are busting shad all around you. :D
=D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 am

Cal wrote:Happens to us all the time... on our latest testing trip, I took the sideplate off this reel to photograph the spool, etc.. What I failed to realize was, while unfastening the screw to remove the non-handle sideplate, I accidentally adjusted the braking force to zero. On my first cast after putting the reel back together, there was a slight cross breeze. As if in slow motion, I could feel the line fluffing up under my thumb during the cast and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it :lol: :lol: Brand new spool of Sunline Sniper FC done.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.45.02 AM copy.jpg

I saw that. That was ugly. The first thing that came to mind was, "Cal just did this and showed the world on FB." So I didn't feel too stupid.
See i think the handle's on the correct side, it's just not the right handle. Are those steez tw knobs on that Tat?
This is the way.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 am

Cal wrote:
ayo8 wrote:Might as well bring extra rods attached with those reels, too :D. Aint nobody got time swapping reels, picking/cutting, re-spooling line when bass are busting shad all around you. :D
=D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol:
I assume, there's a lot of land-base anglers in here that don't have the luxury to carry extra gear :( . When Im not on my boat, I love hitting the local golf courses with just one setup, so and one extra reel/ or spool is very doable. 7 rods with reels is pushing it, Lol.
Last edited by ayo8 on Fri May 05, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 am

poisonokie wrote:I saw that. That was ugly. The first thing that came to mind was, "Cal just did this and showed the world on FB." So I didn't feel too stupid.
See i think the handle's on the correct side, it's just not the right handle. Are those steez tw knobs on that Tat?
:lol: :lol:

Both Zander and I do it all the time but Zander never shows it :lol: :lol:

The reel is a Tatula SV TWS and it's stock. Haven't really gotten into it much yet. It was my first trip out on the water with the reel and all was going well until that moment. I tried for several minutes to pick the backlash out because I really wanted to continue fishing the reel so I could write the review, but gave up, snapped the photo, and put it away. :lol:

But no worries... still had the Steez A TW and 2017 Scorpion DC to put through the usual paces ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri May 05, 2017 4:48 pm

I sell the reel and get a new one :big grin:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 06, 2017 1:02 am

DavidSA wrote:I sell the reel and get a new one :big grin:
:evil22: :lol22:
This is the way.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:33 am

stevenhatchy wrote:This is Tackletour, no one backlashes [-X
Funny SH**... :lol:

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Wed May 10, 2017 4:21 am

poisonokie wrote:Tips and tricks? Remove the spool or not? How do you save your fluoro?
. What is this backlash everyone is speaking of?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 am

As has been said, you have to be especially patient and gentle with fluoro to prevent weakening the line. Take the time to look closely at the backlash to figure out the source. This helps a lot. The Bill Dance method of putting pressure on the line with your thumb while winding works some of the time.
I don't know how some people fill their spools half full. The gear ratio is greatly diminished and the line coils much more towards the bottom of the spool, causing loss of feel for bottom contact baits, and extra friction on the cast causing you to lose distance.
I carry a Plano line box with my most used line sizes in my bass boat in case of emergency. It always seems like the one combo of the twenty in your boat is the only one with a certain line size, and it is the one that needs to be respooled.
Some of the golf course ponds that I fish require several mile long hikes. I don't like carrying multiple rods when I am hiking. I usually fish 20 lb. fluoro at night for moving baits. I carry an extra spool or reel with braid for frogs or whatever line I might need if I am not fishing a golf course pond close to the house. It sucks when you hit a tree that you can't see at night and cause a mess!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri May 12, 2017 5:46 am

Black Haze wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Tips and tricks? Remove the spool or not? How do you save your fluoro?
. What is this backlash everyone is speaking of?
The backlash is the anguish that you feel inside for denying your true self when you claim that you don't know what it is. :big grin: Sorry. I'm a smart ass also! The SV spool will lessen the anguish if it gets unbearable.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:11 pm

a tip- make a cast and then pull out another 5 yds of line. Cover the spool with a 2 inch pc. of painters tape and reel in all the line. This will prevent the line from back lashing and the tape will not make the line underneath it sticky like electrical tape.