Backlash!!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Backlash!!!

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 am

Tips and tricks? Remove the spool or not? How do you save your fluoro?
This is the way.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Backlash!!!

Post by njbasscat » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 am

If it's bad, I strip the flouro and re-spool. The friction from the backlash can cause weak spots in the line.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am

If its bad I just start cutting,and remove the line it really hurts if it's a deep spool,and spooled with Seaguar Tatsu.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Thu May 04, 2017 11:01 am

This is Tackletour, no one backlashes [-X

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 am

I think most of those weak spots occur when untangling it, like when you pull on it too hard. Today, it was maddeningly windy out and I was pitching (zero braking) and then made a cast without turning up the brakes and it just fluffed up. Usually I can get it out without much trouble, but this time I just couldn't hack it. Until I hacked it off and re-spooled. Bummer to lose a brand new spool full of line, so I thought I'd get some input from everybody. I just know you have to be careful with fluoro, so buttoning down the drag and reeling against your thumb to loosen up the loops or whatever that does is out of the question, I imagine. And this time, taking out the spool to get at it better just seemed to make things worse. Luckily, I pretty much stick woth Invizx, so it didn't hurt that bad... :roll:
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am

And I spool up halfway with braid
This is the way.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu May 04, 2017 12:22 pm

poisonokie wrote:I think most of those weak spots occur when untangling it, like when you pull on it too hard. Today, it was maddeningly windy out and I was pitching (zero braking) and then made a cast without turning up the brakes and it just fluffed up. Usually I can get it out without much trouble, but this time I just couldn't hack it. Until I hacked it off and re-spooled. Bummer to lose a brand new spool full of line, so I thought I'd get some input from everybody. I just know you have to be careful with fluoro, so buttoning down the drag and reeling against your thumb to loosen up the loops or whatever that does is out of the question, I imagine. And this time, taking out the spool to get at it better just seemed to make things worse. Luckily, I pretty much stick woth Invizx, so it didn't hurt that bad... :roll:
If you pull the line hard enough to put a crease (V) in the line you're pulling against, it will likely break a that point later.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Meant to post this un the line forum...
This is the way.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

I actually don't think that tightening the drag and reeling against your thumb is out of the question at all. Most line damage comes from impatiently pulling. I've never found this method to cause additional damage.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Maybe I'll give it a shot next time. I know it can work wonders with braid and mono.
This is the way.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 pm

One thing that works for me is to not overfill the spool. In fact, I only put 3/4 full.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 am

poisonokie wrote:I think most of those weak spots occur when untangling it, like when you pull on it too hard. Today, it was maddeningly windy out and I was pitching (zero braking) and then made a cast without turning up the brakes and it just fluffed up. Usually I can get it out without much trouble, but this time I just couldn't hack it. Until I hacked it off and re-spooled. Bummer to lose a brand new spool full of line, so I thought I'd get some input from everybody. I just know you have to be careful with fluoro, so buttoning down the drag and reeling against your thumb to loosen up the loops or whatever that does is out of the question, I imagine. And this time, taking out the spool to get at it better just seemed to make things worse. Luckily, I pretty much stick woth Invizx, so it didn't hurt that bad... :roll:
Actually, buttoning down the drag, and turning the reel against your thumb does work with fluoro. Just go slow, do it again every time you reach another snag, and don't try to pull a snag out. That will surely cause a weak spot.
I've found the thing that weakens fluoro most often is making a cast with a buried loop that slaps against the frame on the cast.
I watched Chris Zaldain make cleanup casts often when he was pitching his drop shot with fluoro, and I do the same.
If I get a nasty one that I can't pick out, I reel in the line and lay that setup down, to pick out at home when I can take my time and don't have to fight the wind and the TM.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 am

Happens to us all the time... on our latest testing trip, I took the sideplate off this reel to photograph the spool, etc.. What I failed to realize was, while unfastening the screw to remove the non-handle sideplate, I accidentally adjusted the braking force to zero. On my first cast after putting the reel back together, there was a slight cross breeze. As if in slow motion, I could feel the line fluffing up under my thumb during the cast and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it :lol: :lol: Brand new spool of Sunline Sniper FC done.
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.45.02 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.45.02 AM copy.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 12:49 am

Cal wrote:Happens to us all the time... on our latest testing trip, I took the sideplate off this reel to photograph the spool, etc.. What I failed to realize was, while unfastening the screw to remove the non-handle sideplate, I accidentally adjusted the braking force to zero. On my first cast after putting the reel back together, there was a slight cross breeze. As if in slow motion, I could feel the line fluffing up under my thumb during the cast and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it :lol: :lol: Brand new spool of Sunline Sniper FC done.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.45.02 AM copy.jpg
Ouch!!! I actually stopped using Sniper years ago, before your fluoro shootout, because it was too unforgiving. I went to BPS fluoro and it's been much more forgiving. I need all the help I can get.
It will still break at a bad spot, but it takes more abuse to make a bad spot.

And your problem is that you have the handle on the wrong side of your reel! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

I bring an extra reel spool ready to go with shooter or braid (whatever im using that day) per reel. Its a quick swap out when my reel gets bird-nested; rarely does it happen, but it does on windy days.

I know it can be expensive, depending on what reel/spool you have, but Im not about to spend more than 5 mins picking, cutting and re-spooling it :x

You can probably pick up an extra backup spool fairly cheap, if you look hard enough.