(Resolved)Please help me to pick one new Steez : Steez SV vs EX vs A

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

(Resolved)Please help me to pick one new Steez : Steez SV vs EX vs A

Post by alafly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 am

Steez SV vs Steez EX vs Steez A

Please help me to pick one new Steez and tell me why.

Thanks a lot~~~~

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Resolved. Will buy steez EX :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by alafly on Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"North" of America...

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Please help me to pick one new Steez : Steez SV vs EX vs A

Post by gailt » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 am

There are some on here that really know their stuff,but if you can find an EX for a good price buy it ,they are my favorite steez reels.I'm sure someone will be along to give you the pro's and cons of these.I do know the steez 100,and 103 early models are dirt cheap you could buy one andadd a sv spool for reasonable price.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Wed May 03, 2017 4:12 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Yes, I could get a new EX around $350, same price as Steez SV. I do like EX better(not zaion)but will have to add SV spool($70?) to it.

Steez SV comes with the SV spool for free so it's around 270~280 brand new without spool. I don't believe it will be easy to find a like new condition Steez 103HL at this price shipping to my place especially here.

I put Steez A here just because it comes with the clicking drag function when you are pulling the line. I know I could do this upgrades with Dr Trout. But it comes with this function as free is nice.
gailt wrote:There are some on here that really know their stuff,but if you can find an EX for a good price buy it ,they are my favorite steez reels.I'm sure someone will be along to give you the pro's and cons of these.I do know the steez 100,and 103 early models are dirt cheap you could buy one andadd a sv spool for reasonable price.
"North" of America...

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 am

What are you looking to use the reel for? That will make a bit of a difference as the reels are going to be better for some applications vs the other reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

The Steez SV103 variants don't feel quite as good as the EX imo. Not night and day, but the extra hair of refinement is noticeable. So by adding an SV spool to the EX that's about what you'll get. A hair more refinement. The Steez SV is no slouch and still feels fantastic. Could be from the change in side plate material, not sure. If that is worth the additional expense is up to you. From a performance standpoint, they all rock. I switched the stock spool in my Steez SV103 to an Slp 1012. It has a smaller inductor and weighs slightly less. It's now my furthest casting reel by a long shot. It really gets after it. Now on to the Steez SV TW. This reel feels more like the EX in my hands than the Steez SV103. Again, maybe side plate material? It's ever so connected. Can't get quite the same distance with it as my Steez SV103, but it did out cast it before the spool swap. It's definitely my favorite reel I've ever owned. It's more of what I would consider a power finesse reel, in that I wouldn't use it for big baits as I'm comfortable doing with my Steez SV103. Here's my breakdown -
Ultra refinement and versatility - EX with Slp SV spool
Ultra refinement, finesse and power finesse - Steez SV TW
Buttery smooth solidness and versatility - Steez SV103. Even better with Slp spool.
The next Steez I plan on picking up is the orange Jdm Steez SV. I want to see how it compares to the Usdm version I have, and if it's any better anywhere. I still can't figure out if this particular reel is basically an EX with full magnesium and the introduction of the SV spool, or if it shares the same Zaion as the Usdm version.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu May 04, 2017 2:31 am

finesse

Ok, I admit it I just want a new toy... :talk hand:
kstephes033 wrote:What are you looking to use the reel for? That will make a bit of a difference as the reels are going to be better for some applications vs the other reels.
"North" of America...

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 am

Thank you very much. Very helpful.

I will buy a new EX and add SV spool. Then upgrade it with line dragging clicking components.

I know the new Steez SV tw feels so good in hand but it has more plastic components inside which I don't like.
Hogsticker2 wrote:The Steez SV103 variants don't feel quite as good as the EX imo. Not night and day, but the extra hair of refinement is noticeable. So by adding an SV spool to the EX that's about what you'll get. A hair more refinement. The Steez SV is no slouch and still feels fantastic. Could be from the change in side plate material, not sure. If that is worth the additional expense is up to you. From a performance standpoint, they all rock. I switched the stock spool in my Steez SV103 to an Slp 1012. It has a smaller inductor and weighs slightly less. It's now my furthest casting reel by a long shot. It really gets after it. Now on to the Steez SV TW. This reel feels more like the EX in my hands than the Steez SV103. Again, maybe side plate material? It's ever so connected. Can't get quite the same distance with it as my Steez SV103, but it did out cast it before the spool swap. It's definitely my favorite reel I've ever owned. It's more of what I would consider a power finesse reel, in that I wouldn't use it for big baits as I'm comfortable doing with my Steez SV103. Here's my breakdown -
Buttery smooth solidness and versatility - Steez SV103. Even better with Slp spool.
The next Steez I plan on picking up is the orange Jdm Steez SV. I want to see how it compares to the Usdm version I have, and if it's any better anywhere. I still can't figure out if this particular reel is basically an EX with full magnesium and the introduction of the SV spool, or if it shares the same Zaion as the Usdm version.
"North" of America...

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: (Resolved)Please help me to pick one new Steez : Steez SV vs EX vs A

Post by alafly » Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Just to confirm, is this orange(gold) steez SV you guys are talking? I assume it only has right version, right?

"North" of America...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: (Resolved)Please help me to pick one new Steez : Steez SV vs EX vs A

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

That's the orange Jdm Steez SV I was referring to. It comes in a left and right. 6:3:1 gear ratio only. The higher ratio are only found in the limited jdm versions and Usdm model.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sat May 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:The Steez SV103 variants don't feel quite as good as the EX imo. Not night and day, but the extra hair of refinement is noticeable. So by adding an SV spool to the EX that's about what you'll get. A hair more refinement. The Steez SV is no slouch and still feels fantastic. Could be from the change in side plate material, not sure. If that is worth the additional expense is up to you. From a performance standpoint, they all rock. I switched the stock spool in my Steez SV103 to an Slp 1012. It has a smaller inductor and weighs slightly less. It's now my furthest casting reel by a long shot. It really gets after it. Now on to the Steez SV TW. This reel feels more like the EX in my hands than the Steez SV103. Again, maybe side plate material? It's ever so connected. Can't get quite the same distance with it as my Steez SV103, but it did out cast it before the spool swap. It's definitely my favorite reel I've ever owned. It's more of what I would consider a power finesse reel, in that I wouldn't use it for big baits as I'm comfortable doing with my Steez SV103. Here's my breakdown -
Great information here,thank you