Zillion for Frog/Jig Rod - OG, SV, TWS or?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion for Frog/Jig Rod - OG, SV, TWS or?

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 am

This was kinda covered in a recent thread, but looking to narrow it down to Zillion choices - looking to build a Frog Rod, that might double with heavy jigs, ie a 735 or 736c. Going to put a Zillion 7.x:1 variant on it - just not sure which one - I have several of the SV103's and am happy with them, but also thinking about just throwing an OG Zillion on it, or one or the newer TWS versions maybe, or the HD even? I never really got on the TWS bandwagon back in the day, with all the reports about the guide gouging and line cutting, etc - have they fixed TWS?

Honestly I like the SV103 and see no reason not to use it, other than the SV spool being more "finesse-y" (relatively speaking) that the other models...not sure that that prevents it from being a heavy (1/2-1oz) frog/jig reel though?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion for Frog/Jig Rod - OG, SV, TWS or?

Post by Randingo » Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 am

Nothing about the SV spool holds it back in any way from performing well as a frogging reel. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am

I'd go with even the TWS Zillion. They will really bomb for me, the TWS reports stopped mainly after the orginal Tatula and Type R because they built it too thick I feel. I have also heard it was just a manufacturing error that weakened the metal, but personally I have never seen reports on newer models.

I doubt an SV would be problematic for frogging, but I am the same way, I feel I am "wasting" an SV reel if it isn't used for light lures.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:34 am

TD Zilliion type R baby
Yield not to misfortunes but advance against them

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Yup Type R would do fine, just kinda hard to find right now, especially in LH. ;)

Seems like the TWS Zillions are based off the Tat frame now best I can tell, never really warmed up to the Tat Frame, so I guess unless I run across a Type R I will just pick up another SV103. I read in the other thread changing the spool out to a 1016 for heavier baits, but not sure how necessary that is.

OG's that aren't beat to hell are listing close to SV103 sale pricing anyway, so might as well grab another SV I figure.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

LOL I got all excited thought I saw several LH Type R's on the auction site, turns out the yahoo's are using Type R LH pic as generic pic for several TWS Zillions... which are not even LH ](*,) . More than one seller too, seems odd.

Anyway, I did find the TWS seems to be running about $50 less than the SV, which I guess is about right. Maybe I will run by AS tomorrow and handle a TWS/Tat frame again before deciding.

Another option I'm toying around with is moving my existing SV103 from my DX744 to the 735, moving my steez 100HL to the 744 which opens up a spot for a new reel on my 705CB :).

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm

TD Zillion Type R, SV103Xs, IP68/79.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 pm

I'd go with a 9.1 or 7.3 Zillion TWS. Tough as nails, casts like crazy, drag for days, not too heavy, not too expensive, 36mm spool, built for power fishing... It won't disappoint. It will make an excellent reel for topwaters in general.
This is the way.