Shimano 2017 Icast rumor mill ...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano 2017 Icast rumor mill ...

Post by joekaz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Is the Sustain the badass EPIC reel a few guys have talked about or is there something else.

Drundel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drundel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Drundel wrote:http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... ado-i.html

Funny, no mention on here of the 70.
The 70 is barely a year old, why would they update it so soon?
My buddy's thoughts (he is a longtime bass guy and saltwater via boat only).
10% smaller then the current "I" which are already smaller then the old curado 100D/50mg chronarch. Why 200? Line capacity, it has nothing to do with bass fishing, has more to do with what you target and the size of the lure you use. The 70 is made to be a finesse bass reel (which is a great wading reel size as was the 50 sized e series) and the 200 an all around sized reel. The 200 will outcast a 70 with larger baits and has a lower gear option for crank baits and larger lures. Shimano bases nothing on their logic for wading nor does any other manufacture ;-) I love both sizes and both have their places, If I had to choose one it would be the 200.

The 200 G disappointed compared to the E but it still caught fish, the 200 I has been great but brake drum needs lubing often. The 70 is a bad arse reel and looks like the 200 k gets the same brakes. Can't wait to try them once available.
I am a 95% wading salter guy and with the improvement in braid, the smaller the better, so to me the 70/71 is perfect trout/redfish reel. I have 3 and if the price comes down after the release of the K, I'll be selling more of my old 101SF, 51MG, etc. and getting more of the 71's.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 am

Do any of you guys know if there is any new or updated trolling gear coming from shimano? I had tried to buy some Taloras a few weeks ago and they weren't available from Shimano. The store had thought there might be something new coming out at icast.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:57 am

joekaz wrote:Is the Sustain the badass EPIC reel a few guys have talked about or is there something else.
Ita a good spinning reel, I would personally call EPIC badass reals a Stells, Vanquish and the new excsence.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm

BucketHunter wrote:You guys are gonna be pretty pleased with the new spinning reel I've been made aware of. Pretty badass in theory. We'll have to see the execution.
So I am assuming we still haven't seen anything on this reel you speak of, right?

WhatsUnderTheWater
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WhatsUnderTheWater » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Dunno if someone post this here already so ill do it.
https://www.bassmaster.com/gear/slidesh ... icast-2017

Reel section starts at page 62

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 am

WhatsUnderTheWater wrote:Dunno if someone post this here already so ill do it.
https://www.bassmaster.com/gear/slidesh ... icast-2017

Reel section starts at page 62
Some pretty sweet gear coming out, I will take a conquest rod please....

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am

I'll have the chance to handle some new reels tomorrow. I'll check in on my initial thoughts later on.
Set hard and set often

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am

I got to handle and cast the new Curado, and spin the new Sustain.
The new Curado is a nice evolution over the I. The breaking system seems more intuitive and reminiscent of how the old E's and the like responded to brake changes. It's my first experience with the new system so forgive me if you knew that already. The micro module gears and long handle make this feel a lot like a poor mans Metanium. It's really nice, and holding it's price point definitely puts this as an upgrade over the "I" for me. The matte black looks nice but feels a little cheap at first under hand compared to a glossy paint job, much like a Lews. Knobs are super comfy and the large cast control knob is a nice form and function upgrade.
The Sustain I will have to reserve judgement on, as it was quickly apparent that something was wrong with this specimen. In all honesty, unless it is miles more smooth that the Stradic offerings, the marginal weight savings and X protect won't be enough to swing me from my current Ci4+ reels.

TL/DR

Curado is another really good effort which I will definitely add to the rotation and I have to reserve judgement on the Sustain, but I am a little disappointed overall at the apparent end potential of this reel. It doesn't appear to leverage weight savings of the Ci4+ and the smoothness of the Hagane body in the lean packaged I hoped it would be - unless it turns out to be near Stella smooth.
Set hard and set often

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reviews! I have a Curado 70 and Scorpion 1000 at the moment and feel that unless something blows my mind (which it could), I will stick with them and my classics (Calais 100A, Chronarch SF, Metanium XT, Calcutta TE GT, and Curado 100D).

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm

I pretty much called it on the Exsence spinning reel for icast....right?