Spinning REEL - Kastking vs Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
alexLita
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Spinning REEL - Kastking vs Shimano

Post by alexLita » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Dear All,

Please tell me your opinion regarding this two reels:
Kastking Sharky II Model 3000 vs Shimano Catana 2500FC

I want to purchase one of these two rells and I can't decide.
If you have any other suggestions regarding what reel to choose please tell me, I want to use it for coarse fishing with a 2.4 m, 7-28 g fast action rod on lakes.

Thank you

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning REEL - Kastking vs Shimano

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:01 am

I'd go Shimano, personally never tried KastKing, but a few friends gave them a shot and weren't impressed. I would suggest anything you could to go with a name brand and decent model, it will last a while if properly cared for.

alexLita
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by alexLita » Tue May 02, 2017 5:03 am

Thank you for the reply, if anyone else can give me any more info I would be grateful !

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 am

Assuming you are at about a $30 budget I would go with the Japanese based proven Shimano over the Chinese based Kastking.
I personally would take the $30 and hit eBay and find a higher quality used Shimano than the one you are looking at, especially if using 1oz baits...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 am

My honest full opinion would be save a tad more and get a slightly higher priced model from a Japanese manufacturer...
I went the cheap route before and spent more than an expensive reel buying, repairing, and getting new ones.
I have been happier than ever fishing for the last few years, spending around $200 for reels and $100 on rods...
I go up and down on prices and find sales when I can, but I swear if you plan on landing big fish numerous times, quality pays off well.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue May 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Personally I'd go daiwa until you get into the worm gear models (now the ultegra) from shimano.

Daiwa spinners are mechanically very similar across the entire lineup from the entry level up to the saltigas. ALl use a locomotion levelwind system.

It used to be that you got a worm gear oscillation system in a 60$ symetre. Those days are looooong gone.

From what i've seen from kastking. They aren't horrible and their customer service is pretty good

Also that mitchell 300x whatever that green one is isn't pretty bad either.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 am

daiwa revros : the king of under $50 spinning reel.
ScoobyDoo wrote:Personally I'd go daiwa until you get into the worm gear models (now the ultegra) from shimano.

Daiwa spinners are mechanically very similar across the entire lineup from the entry level up to the saltigas. ALl use a locomotion levelwind system.

It used to be that you got a worm gear oscillation system in a 60$ symetre. Those days are looooong gone.

From what i've seen from kastking. They aren't horrible and their customer service is pretty good

"North" of America...

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Pflueger Trion is a nice, cheap spinning reel. Over 15 years of abuse on mine, and still performs flawlessly. Or check out http://www.ffo-tackle.com for some refurbished gear.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:04 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Personally I'd go daiwa until you get into the worm gear models (now the ultegra) from shimano.

What do you mean by get a worm gear??? What is the alternative on cheaper models? I just want to know how they mechanically make it work?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 03, 2017 5:08 pm

I don't know egg beaters but what about the Korean OEMs at or near this price point? Whats wrong with a Cardinal?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 am

DirtyD64 wrote:

What do you mean by get a worm gear??? What is the alternative on cheaper models? I just want to know how they mechanically make it work?
Unfortunately. noone seems to be making reels in the sub altegra price point that incorporate a worm gear oscillation system.

Worm gear oscillation is the same as what you would find on baitcasting reels.
Crescent shaped "pawl" runs in grooves cut into a metal shaft that turns. It requires more parts. But In many cases offers better main shaft support. And in MANY instances lays line more uniform.