Problems w/ Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Problems w/ Zillion SV TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 am

Just wanted to know if there are any negatives associated with this reel. I wanted to wait and see if the SV105 goes back to under $200 because I own one of those that is great, but I am not sure they will be that cheap again. I am okay with the Tatula SV, but there have been a few light complaints on them.

I have never had a stuck inductor on an SV reel, and I love my SS/SV. I have saved just enough to pick up the Zillion SV TW, it is going on a Villain 2.0 7' M fast. I just wanted to know if there is anything I should be wary of or prepared for. I probably would have preferred the SV103 7.9 right hand, but as stated I missed the sale and was sick to let one pass for $200...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Problems w/ Zillion SV TW

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

Isn't this reel $300?

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 pm

My Zillion SV has handle back play. And too much plastic. When I first got it I was so glad to have several TD Zillions and SV103-s. These are quality Swiss watches while Zillion SV is a cheap replica. But it does cast well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:15 am

LowRange wrote:Isn't this reel $300?
Yes and I just hope to get a deal on something similar that will do the same...
I hope to pay around 265 for a zillion sv, waiting for a sale of 15 percent off or so, hopefully it will be a full 15 and be around $255.

I hope one I receive doesn't have handle backplay, I would be sending it back immediately...

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon May 01, 2017 7:37 am

I have 2, one in 6 speed and 1 in the 9 speed. I have had zero issues so far and the 6 speed on orochi xx launcher flat LAUNCHES a dt10 and dt 16. :lol:

Why wait for a sale? You can get this reel at the prices you are waiting for every day off the auction site.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:33 am

surge wrote:My Zillion SV has handle back play. And too much plastic. When I first got it I was so glad to have several TD Zillions and SV103-s. These are quality Swiss watches while Zillion SV is a cheap replica. But it does cast well.
Seems a bit drastic

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 am

toporanger wrote:I have 2, one in 6 speed and 1 in the 9 speed. I have had zero issues so far and the 6 speed on orochi xx launcher flat LAUNCHES a dt10 and dt 16. :lol:

Why wait for a sale? You can get this reel at the prices you are waiting for every day off the auction site.
I am scared of the auction sites. I know they are normally pretty trustworthy, but right now Arkansas is flooded so I will be waiting for a while to fish anyways. I also found one for 280 online so that might be an option too.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 am

Got mine for $185. \:D/ Solid as a rock, too. That reel is fantastic.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

poisonokie wrote:Got mine for $185. \:D/ Solid as a rock, too. That reel is fantastic.
Dang, I paid that much for each of my Zillion TWS...

I do consider the Chronarch MGL at times, but my father and girlfriend are much better with the SV reels. They are very easy for them to use and even though it doesn't affect me much, I assume they help without me noticing it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am

I also hate to even ask, any reports of inductors sticking on the Zillion SV tw?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I also hate to even ask, any reports of inductors sticking on the Zillion SV tw?
You guys...

I have two things to say about my experience with this.
1) This only happens when the spool stops instantly, like when you get a sudden backlash with braid. So if that happens and it starts casting poorly, just give the inductor a little twist and be more careful next time.
2) After this happens, it's less likely to occur again because it loosens up a little and keeps the part inside the inductor from grabbing. This is not a terminal problem with the spool.

So stop freaking out. 8-)
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 am

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I also hate to even ask, any reports of inductors sticking on the Zillion SV tw?
You guys...

I have two things to say about my experience with this.
1) This only happens when the spool stops instantly, like when you get a sudden backlash with braid. So if that happens and it starts casting poorly, just give the inductor a little twist and be more careful next time.
2) After this happens, it's less likely to occur again because it loosens up a little and keeps the part inside the inductor from grabbing. This is not a terminal problem with the spool.

So stop freaking out. 8-)
I think as time passes also, Daiwa will clear this up, even with the intense backlashes. A thicker beveled plastic piece with less of a gap would completely solve the issue. They fixed my original Type R way out of warranty so it doesn't bother me too bad, for some reason I never use TWS reels with braid so that won't be an issue. Light fluoro with lures under 1/2 almost exclusively will be all I throw so I doubt I will ever experience an issue.
Does anyone think that for the lures I am throwing that the Zillion SV will be worth the extra $ or should I just wait for the SV105 to go back super cheap?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed May 03, 2017 3:23 am

Never had any issues with inductor or anything else on that reel. Added four bearings.
Reel is super smooth and overall great product from Daiwa.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 am

Cracker wrote:Never had any issues with inductor or anything else on that reel. Added four bearings.
Levelwind (2)? Handle (2)?

I read the schematic for the Zillion SV and it listed as already having one levelwind bearing, but the Tatula CT schematic listed as having two, after counting I am pretty sure the other 2 are in the handle and the levelwind has 2 bushings... Not sure though, sometimes they do get schematics slightly off though.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Cracker wrote:Never had any issues with inductor or anything else on that reel. Added four bearings.
Levelwind (2)? Handle (2)?

I read the schematic for the Zillion SV and it listed as already having one levelwind bearing, but the Tatula CT schematic listed as having two, after counting I am pretty sure the other 2 are in the handle and the levelwind has 2 bushings... Not sure though, sometimes they do get schematics slightly off though.
Yes, Sir! 2 Levelwind, 2 handle plus replaced stock bearings with Hedgehog Air.