Should I sell my SV spools?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Should I sell my SV spools?

Post by gailt » Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 am

My daiwa SS SV seems to under perform,I guess it needs a good flush and cleaning.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 am

gailt wrote:My daiwa SS SV seems to under perform,I guess it needs a good flush and cleaning.
I believe this platform is the most restrictive of the SV reel/spool combinations.

Even with a flush and cleaning the inductor and magnets seem to be the main factor in this reel.

Maybe others will chime in to clarify further.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

jpd0144 wrote:
gailt wrote:My daiwa SS SV seems to under perform,I guess it needs a good flush and cleaning.
I believe this platform is the most restrictive of the SV reel/spool combinations.

Even with a flush and cleaning the inductor and magnets seem to be the main factor in this reel.

The combination of the spool inductor size and strong magnetic polarity really restrict this reel. Drop an Slp 1012 SV or Zillion SV TW spool in it. That will help on the inductor side of things. I bet the difference is noticeable.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue May 02, 2017 4:38 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I get my sv spools adjusted with a different spring from Ian shields . It's that fast smooth feeling you are looking for , trust me . It feels 3 times better and casts further. All my sv spools have zpi ceramics or Yt fusion bearings , Ian has made my reels racing machines with effortless distance and not an overbearing sv braking profile.
Cool. I use 3/16-3/8oz Texas rigs and jigs mostly. I could pitch and cast to targets effortlessly with my Td-z's, with my SV reels I felt like I really had to work for it. I ordered 3 sets of ZPI Bousei bearings and some long distance lube from TTT. If that doesn't satisfy I will see if Ian can pencil me in.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Tue May 02, 2017 6:46 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:
Thank you I'll get a 1012 sv spool and try it out

The combination of the spool inductor size and strong magnetic polarity really restrict this reel. Drop an Slp 1012 SV or Zillion SV TW spool in it. That will help on the inductor side of things. I bet the difference is noticeable.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 am

Reading this thread with great interest.

If I were *only* going to bomb 1oz+ lures, and will *never* skip docks...what is the best mod for pure distance? Will the spring swap do it, or is there an aftermarket spool with same/more line capacity that will cast further? I love the reel but for my intended uses it does seem like more braking than I need...

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 am

If you were only going to bomb 1+ oz lures, an sv spool is not a good choice. It's a control spool, not to say that it can't bomb heavy lures, you can fish cranks on a flipping stick, but there are much better options. 1oz and up you'd be better off with a Zillion hlc or a Z2020/200.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 am

PaBass75 wrote:If you were only going to bomb 1+ oz lures, an sv spool is not a good choice. It's a control spool, not to say that it can't bomb heavy lures, you can fish cranks on a flipping stick, but there are much better options. 1oz and up you'd be better off with a Zillion hlc or a Z2020/200.
Well, let's assume I'm keeping the sv103 for bombing 1oz+ lures, will the spring swap improve my distance?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am

Maybe. Might want to look into a spool swap instead. A 1016 or maybe Steez HLC spool are worth a look.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am

LowRange wrote:Maybe. Might want to look into a spool swap instead. A 1016 or maybe Steez HLC spool are worth a look.
Thank you. Do you mind explaining what is different about those spools vs. the stock sv103 spool? I don't necessarily need more capacity (but can't go less).

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am

reason162 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Maybe. Might want to look into a spool swap instead. A 1016 or maybe Steez HLC spool are worth a look.
Thank you. Do you mind explaining what is different about those spools vs. the stock sv103 spool? I don't necessarily need more capacity (but can't go less).
Yes please as I'm all about learning about the different SV spool capabilities and performance,anfd thank's for all replies.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

SV spools use air brake and the 1016 and HLC use magforce z. Generally speaking an air brake spool is more willing to extend the inductor due to soft springs and brake as well as braking harder when the inductor is retracted because they stick out a little further when seated.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm

LowRange wrote:SV spools use air brake and the 1016 and HLC use magforce z. Generally speaking an air brake spool is more willing to extend the inductor due to soft springs and brake as well as braking harder when the inductor is retracted because they stick out a little further when seated.
Thank you, I'll try the 1016 spool!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 pm

A little follow up on the zpi bearing upgrade: I was assuming that because the bearings were going to speed the spool up I would have to dial up the breaks. I was surprised to find the opposite was true. When it was calm I turned my sv103 down to 2.5. At 3 I didn't even have to worry about it. Before I was rocking a 4. 17lb defier armillo and a rage bug with 3/16 and 1/4oz bullet weights, f669 super destroyer. I was casting lighter lures as far or farther and with less effort than before the upgrade with my sv105p as well. overall, I would say I got more performance than expected. Pretty stoked actually.