Should I sell my SV spools?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Should I sell my SV spools?

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:59 am

I recently bought a stock Td z 103 and 105 from ebay. I prefer the way they cast to all my SV reels. Should I sell my SV spools and swap different ones in? I think the SV's look better and I like that they are aluminum. What are my alternative spool options for the sv103 and 105?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Should I sell my SV spools?

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 am

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:14 am

Found a thread that said the Sv103 can take TDZ spools. I can probably figure this out.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 am

What I am getting out of this is that I prefer faster spools. So the RCS 1016 and ZPI RC-001 are both faster than my SV103 spool. And the ZPI RC-002 would be faster than my 105sv spool and also compatible? Am I correct so far?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am

You could try to add a set of Zpi spool bearings to one of the SV spools. Might speed it up enough for you. The 1016 spool is fairly controlled as well. Part of the equation is the level of polarity from reel to reel as well. You may like a fixed inductor also. I can't help with the Zpi spools, but I hear they are fast. I also believe Zpi is set to release some brand new spools for Daiwa soon.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks! I'll give the bearing upgrade a shot first

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:28 am

You have a lot of options for the sv103. A Type R+, 1016 and 1010 should be great in that platform. With the Alphas I'd go with a Zonda spool if you can find one or a BFS spool if you want to go that route. The DIY BFS spools are really fast even though they are Air Brake. The tapered inductors they have are like what are Air Red and Type R + spools and can be purchaced alone then swapped onto an SV spool. No one has done this conversion that I know of so you would be going into uncharted waters if you go that route.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I get my sv spools adjusted with a different spring from Ian shields . It's that fast smooth feeling you are looking for , trust me . It feels 3 times better and casts further. All my sv spools have zpi ceramics or Yt fusion bearings , Ian has made my reels racing machines with effortless distance and not an overbearing sv braking profile.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I've heard of these mods to the SV spools how does it affect skipping? I would be worried that a loss of low speed control would ruin the the skipability of the spool.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 pm

You can still skip with it as long as you set the brakes a little higher. It's hard to have the best of both worlds unless you have an extremely educated thumb but I am
Happy with my sv spring mod. My skipping technique is good enough to where I don't need the Sv Spool to be honest.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm

If you have an educated thumb, the first thing that you should do with a new SV spool reel is flush the spool bearings and add a very light oil if you want more speed. The Daiwa's come from the factory packed with grease and this is probably causing a lot of the problems that I read on the various forums. Daiwa uses grease to make the reels last longer and to have less warranty issues. Yes, ZPI spool bearings will speed it up a little, but cleaning the stock bearings will most likely have more of an effect. Yes, the braking profile of the SV is stronger than most at the end of the cast, making you feel like you are losing distance, but I'm not losing much distance versus other spools with my SV spool reels. I can only speak for the the Steez SV and SV103 reels that I own.
Very few people fish in open water bombing long casts all day. I find it hard to believe that anyone wants reels that are only distance casters. I spend as much time as anyone bombing casts with reaction baits in open water, but even I have a few SV reels in my arsenal. You will want them later if you sell them. If you don't want to own a lot of reels, you should at least have extra spools for different applications to make sure that you have all of your bases covered.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 am

toddmc wrote: Yes, the braking profile of the SV is stronger than most at the end of the cast making you feel like you are losing distance, but I'm not losing much distance over other spools with my SV spool reels. I can only speak for the the Steez SV and SV103 reels that I own.
Very few people fish in open water bombing long casts all day. I find it hard to believe that anyone wants reels that are only distance casters. I spend as much time as anyone bombing casts with reaction baits in open water, but even I have a few SV reels in my arsenal.
Very well put !

I find TT as a whole tends to lean towards small/light reels are always best or max distance is always best even if it means border line backlashes all day with wind change. Of course you get to brag on a key board about how fast your spool is over the next guy though and never admitting how many backlashes you've pick out that shelf queen with the spool tension cranked down since you've owned it.

So far fishing open water to bank beating I have 7 reels in my lineup with SV spools. 3 Steez EX's with SV spools and 4 Zill/SV103's and loving the versatility and ease of fishing they offer to each platform.

Keep the spools IMO ... Change or flush the stock bearings and enjoy catching fish instead of staring at your spool mid cast hoping it makes it till the end without fluff while riding the edge. Your butt cheeks will tank you at the end of a long day for not being clinched in fear of ruining that new spool of expensive flouro ! :lol:

Im being silly but I guess to each their own. If I was walking around a pond chilling with a back pack and 2 combos I can see all the technical stuff intriguing me to tinker more with some of the mods and ideas.
When im on the trolling motor covering water I have a boat to run safely in the wind most cases, graphs to watch, making sure my partner still is getting a shot at fishable water, and me still try and catch fish. The last thing I need is to be picking back lashes because the wind changed a little or I turned the boat and I thought I needed 3 extra feet on every cast ... :roll:

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 am

jpd0144 wrote:Your butt cheeks will tank you at the end of a long day for not being clinched in fear of ruining that new spool of expensive flouro ! :lol:
=))))

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 am

jpd0144 wrote:
toddmc wrote: Yes, the braking profile of the SV is stronger than most at the end of the cast making you feel like you are losing distance, but I'm not losing much distance over other spools with my SV spool reels. I can only speak for the the Steez SV and SV103 reels that I own.
Very few people fish in open water bombing long casts all day. I find it hard to believe that anyone wants reels that are only distance casters. I spend as much time as anyone bombing casts with reaction baits in open water, but even I have a few SV reels in my arsenal.
Very well put !

I find TT as a whole tends to lean towards small/light reels are always best or max distance is always best even if it means border line backlashes all day with wind change. Of course you get to brag on a key board about how fast your spool is over the next guy though and never admitting how many backlashes you've pick out that shelf queen with the spool tension cranked down since you've owned it.

So far fishing open water to bank beating I have 7 reels in my lineup with SV spools. 3 Steez EX's with SV spools and 4 Zill/SV103's and loving the versatility and ease of fishing they offer to each platform.

Keep the spools IMO ... Change or flush the stock bearings and enjoy catching fish instead of staring at your spool mid cast hoping it makes it till the end without fluff while riding the edge. Your butt cheeks will tank you at the end of a long day for not being clinched in fear of ruining that new spool of expensive flouro ! :lol:

Im being silly but I guess to each their own. If I was walking around a pond chilling with a back pack and 2 combos I can see all the technical stuff intriguing me to tinker more with some of the mods and ideas.
When im on the trolling motor covering water I have a boat to run safely in the wind most cases, graphs to watch, making sure my partner still is getting a shot at fishable water, and me still try and catch fish. The last thing I need is to be picking back lashes because the wind changed a little or I turned the boat and I thought I needed 3 extra feet on every cast ... :roll:
I've heard of people having problems with the Alphas SV and the SS SV spools, but man I have fished the heck out of my SV103 and Steez SV reels over the last year or so with hardly a backlash. It is hard to put down the SV spool reels. I was out this week bombing casts in open water with a 1/2 oz bait plus a trailer, and the SV distance certainly wasn't hurting vs. the other spools in my Daiwa reels.
I've been fishing casting reels for almost four decades, making me more experienced than most. I am experienced enough to know exactly when to adjust my reel's spool settings for changing conditions. This may be the main reason why I may only have had a handful of serious backlashes over an entire year while fishing the non-SV Daiwa reels. I may have none this year if I can't put down my SV spool reels! :lol: The SV spool reels have really helped me loosen up what little tension is left in my cheeks! ;) I don't think that I want that tension back unless I find myself in prison! :shock:

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

toddmc wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:
Very well put !

I've heard of people having problems with the Alphas SV and the SS SV spools, but man I have fished the heck out of my SV103 and Steez SV reels over the last year or so with hardly a backlash. It is hard to put down the SV spool reels. I was out this week bombing casts in open water with a 1/2 oz bait plus a trailer, and the SV distance certainly wasn't hurting vs. the other spools in my Daiwa reels.
I've been fishing casting reels for almost four decades, making me more experienced than most. I am experienced enough to know exactly when to adjust my reel's spool settings for changing conditions. This may be the main reason why I may only have had a handful of serious backlashes over an entire year while fishing the non-SV Daiwa reels. I may have none this year if I can't put down my SV spool reels! :lol: The SV spool reels have really helped me loosen up what little tension is left in my cheeks! ;) I don't think that I want that tension back unless I find myself in prison! :shock:

LOL I am reading between the lines.......