One reel to rule them all

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: One reel to rule them all

Post by mark poulson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm

goldrod wrote:
mark poulson wrote:If you had to pick one reel to use for everything, from BFS to frogging in slop, which reel would you choose?

IMO any reel will do what your asking, the question is how well will it perform on both ends of the spectrum and no reel that i have used will cover both ends with out a little tuning or at least a bearing change. I love the antares HG but I like my PXTR ( i've used it for frogs and toads no issues) But If i had to do what your asking it would be a D7/ MG7 with a magnesium shallow spool or 50E with a KTF spool for the BFS..

I like the SV103xs and i am currently experimenting with it after upgrading the bearings to ZPI's on my super Rekkai rod. It will do what your looking to do but for me the gear ratio is too high for the middle of the spectrum which I think is slower moving baits
I have a reel that does both/all with no tricking out. They are out there.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: One reel to rule them all

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:10 pm

if money were no object , it would a deck full of steez sv tws.