One reel to rule them all

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: One reel to rule them all

Post by daiwafan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 am

Stezz SV TW with a DIY spool.....

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am

I'd pick an SV103.. It can do just about anything from finesse to frogs.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:26 am

D7

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 am

Conquest 100DC...no...w8...Calais DC7...no...w8...Conquest 50...no...w8...Pixzilla! :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:44 am

TD-Z in one of it's glorious variations, an I'ze Factory Personal Order to be exact, left handed with the brass 7:1 conversion kit installed, carbontex drag washers installed, and a set of ZPI spool bearings installed, any variety of Daiwa swept 90mm handles, a Zillion Type R star, and an about to be back in stock G1 Duralumin Zillion SV TW Spool installed. It's a sweet set up and that spool in a TD-Z sings!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am

bronzefly wrote:TD-Z in one of it's glorious variations, an I'ze Factory Personal Order to be exact, left handed with the brass 7:1 conversion kit installed, carbontex drag washers installed, and a set of ZPI spool bearings installed, any variety of Daiwa swept 90mm handles, a Zillion Type R star, and an about to be back in stock G1 Duralumin Zillion SV TW Spool installed. It's a sweet set up and that spool in a TD-Z sings!
Thanks Gary. 04/24 marked on my calendar

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 pm

bronzefly wrote:TD-Z in one of it's glorious variations, an I'ze Factory Personal Order to be exact, left handed with the brass 7:1 conversion kit installed, carbontex drag washers installed, and a set of ZPI spool bearings installed, any variety of Daiwa swept 90mm handles, a Zillion Type R star, and an about to be back in stock G1 Duralumin Zillion SV TW Spool installed. It's a sweet set up and that spool in a TD-Z sings!
Different spool, same upgrades in my TD-Z. The performance is insane..add the beauty of a PO to THAT and :shock:

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:58 pm

For all species? Daiwa Ryoga then. Pixy, Steez, Aldebaran etc are too "finesse" for pike fishing. Ryoga isn't!

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Ill second the Curado 70. Basically the only reel i am currently using, just dont like to pick up my other reels

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 am

ccass wrote:For 1 reel for all of my fishing, it would have to be any fast reel with a shallow SV spool. I'd say my Steez SV TW 8.1. I'd do a T3 with an SV spool as well.
That T3 with an sv1000 shallow and hedgehog airs is my bfs reel. It works great for that. I use 8# Invizx, but I'm thinking about dropping to 4#.

Anyway, that's a great choice for all around. Great for pitching jigs on 15# line.
This is the way.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 am

Still looking for my TD-Z ITO 103hl with reasonable price ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Thanks for all suggestions for TD-Z!
"North" of America...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thanks Gary. 04/24 marked on my calendar
The G1 Duralumin Zillion SV TW Spool is back in stock and shipping \:D/
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 pm

bronzefly wrote: The G1 Duralumin Zillion SV TW Spool is back in stock and shipping \:D/
Grabbed 2 this morning :shock:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 am

How does the braking profile of the Zillion TWS SV spool compare to other SV spools such as the SV 105 (no, not Alphas SV spool) and SV 103 spool?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 pm

mark poulson wrote:If you had to pick one reel to use for everything, from BFS to frogging in slop, which reel would you choose?

IMO any reel will do what your asking, the question is how well will it perform on both ends of the spectrum and no reel that i have used will cover both ends with out a little tuning or at least a bearing change. I love the antares HG but I like my PXTR ( i've used it for frogs and toads no issues) But If i had to do what your asking it would be a D7/ MG7 with a magnesium shallow spool or 50E with a KTF spool for the BFS..

I like the SV103xs and i am currently experimenting with it after upgrading the bearings to ZPI's on my super Rekkai rod. It will do what your looking to do but for me the gear ratio is too high for the middle of the spectrum which I think is slower moving baits
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible