ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez vs Metanium MGL vs Conquest 100

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez vs Metanium MGL vs Conquest 100

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 am

So, I went into my backyard and tested the the Steez and the Conquest and compared them against my Antares and my Lew's Inshore BB2.

All but the Antares where spooled with 15pound mono.

Here is the essence of my testing:

1. The steez felt solid during retrieves, not much (if at all) play in the handle. Casting distance was good. Same distance as my Lew's. Though I felt that the line capacity was not sufficient. On long casts I had maybe 15% line left. Since I was planning to use the reel also for inshore fishing, that turned out to be a deal braker.

2. Conquest 101. Super solid feel on retrieve. Ability to palm was ok, but not outstanding. I casted a 1oz lure and I had maybe 5 turns of line left. Great cast ability but the line capacity is just not sufficient.

Result:

I am sending the reels back. I am keeping the Daiwa Steez ST rod, which I am gonna pair with my 2016 Antares DC. I am gonna keep using the Lew's as my crank/topwater reel (which I wanted to use as a back up reel and rod combo that I would leave always in my car). It casts as well as the Steez, is almost as sturdy and just the added weight is not too bad.

Saved a couple of bucks (that I can use at some other point in time)! :)

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez vs Metanium MGL vs Conquest 100

Post by alafly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:00 am

Thanks for sharing.

That's why I recommend new Conquest 200/201 in another thread "One TOTALLY STOCK reel to rule them all".
- super smooth
- super solid build
- enough line capacity
- excellent casting
freelancer27 wrote:So, I went into my backyard and tested the the Steez and the Conquest and compared them against my Antares and my Lew's Inshore BB2.

All but the Antares where spooled with 15pound mono.

Here is the essence of my testing:

1. The steez felt solid during retrieves, not much (if at all) play in the handle. Casting distance was good. Same distance as my Lew's. Though I felt that the line capacity was not sufficient. On long casts I had maybe 15% line left. Since I was planning to use the reel also for inshore fishing, that turned out to be a deal braker.

2. Conquest 101. Super solid feel on retrieve. Ability to palm was ok, but not outstanding. I casted a 1oz lure and I had maybe 5 turns of line left. Great cast ability but the line capacity is just not sufficient.

Result:

I am sending the reels back. I am keeping the Daiwa Steez ST rod, which I am gonna pair with my 2016 Antares DC. I am gonna keep using the Lew's as my crank/topwater reel (which I wanted to use as a back up reel and rod combo that I would leave always in my car). It casts as well as the Steez, is almost as sturdy and just the added weight is not too bad.

Saved a couple of bucks (that I can use at some other point in time)! :)
"North" of America...