Need a frogging only reel...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need a frogging only reel...

Post by johnD » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

accodn2ryan wrote:I'm also in the market for a frog reel. Do you need an aluminum frame for frogging, or would a composite frame reel like the Chronarch MGL in higher gear ratio would be okay for frogging? I'm looking for a lighter reel, so it'll be easier to walk the frog, so I was looking at Chronarch and the Curado 70.
Aluminum frame with graphite side plates are good. Aluminum frame with a aluminum side plate gear side are better.
Aluminum frames with advanced composite side plates work well too. Curado 70 would serve you well.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Thu May 11, 2017 3:15 pm

johnD wrote:
accodn2ryan wrote:I'm also in the market for a frog reel. Do you need an aluminum frame for frogging, or would a composite frame reel like the Chronarch MGL in higher gear ratio would be okay for frogging? I'm looking for a lighter reel, so it'll be easier to walk the frog, so I was looking at Chronarch and the Curado 70.
Aluminum frame with graphite side plates are good. Aluminum frame with a aluminum side plate gear side are better.
Aluminum frames with advanced composite side plates work well too. Curado 70 would serve you well.
Thanks for the reply! I was leaning more toward the curado since all of my reels thus far have been aluminum frames and I'm just not too high on the composite frames. I also have the Daiwa Zillion TWS, but not the higher gear ratio I'd want for frogging.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu May 11, 2017 3:31 pm

I would do the high speed tws. The curado 70 is a finesse reel.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Obz wrote:I would do the high speed tws. The curado 70 is a finesse reel.
Shimano advertises that reel as being a flipping and pitching reel and one that will cast lighter baits.
Not the best reel for the job but , it will work. imo the better of the two he mentioned for frogs.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri May 12, 2017 12:26 am

I was also very interested in the the Daiwa's with the SV spool more specifically SV103, Zillion SV TW, and Tatula SV. I know a little of the SV concept of having a lighter spool, but are SV spools also mainly for finesse and throwing lighter baits, or does it have the ability to throw lighter baits, so it's a more versatile reel?

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 am

accodn2ryan wrote:or does it have the ability to throw lighter baits, so it's a more versatile reel?
This one.