Daiwa SV series: please rank!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa SV series: please rank!

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 pm

If you were in the market for the best reel performance wise for most general fishing and not just based on price, where would the following stand in ranked 1-6 order? Thanks!

SS SV, Steez SV, Tatula SV, Zillion SV, SV103, SV105

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SV series: please rank!

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 pm

I only own a Zillion TW SV, so I guess I rate it first.

DaveJ

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Don't own a zillion sv or tat sv but I've got the others.
I'd rate them like this:

1. Steez sv
2. Sv 103
3. Sv 105
4. Ss sv

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 pm

You said general fishing. So to me that means reaction to bottom contact and light weight to heavy weight.

I only own 3 on your list.

If I could only have 1 my pick would be :

1: SV103
2: Steez SV
3: SV105

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:32 am

Don't forget the T3 SV and Steez SV TW

Of the ones I own, I'd rank them for general fishing.

1. Zillion SV TW - Lighter weight than SV103, lighter G1 spool than SV103, still has aluminium frame for ruggedness
2. SV103 - What else is there to say? This reel gets a lot of love and I own 2
3. Alphas SV/SV105 - Great reel more focused on the lighter end
4. T3 SV - Only spent an hour with it so far. Not enough time on the water yet. Love the 3D brakes

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:42 am

1. Steez SV TWS
2. Zillion SV TWS
3. Alphas SV
4. SV103
5. T3 SV (I didn't mind the Zaion)
6. Tatula SV

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 am

Steez SV TW
Steez SV
SV103 / 105 / Alphas
The rest is a wash

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 am

I think reigion of where someone lives and if they have a boat or not weighs on this. Not saying a Steez is not capable but I sure wouldn't want to throw an A rig, C-rig 3/4oz. + or a DD22 on it all day ! :lol:

Not to mention a Steez normally doesn't balance well with most rods into the 7'6" + range or some 7' footers for that matter which is a versatile length ...

I've thrown A-rigs to weightless senko's and punched 1.25 oz. on the SV103. I have 4 of them for a reason ... VERSATILE !

If I need 3/16 or less I break out spinning gear.
Last edited by jpd0144 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 am

I wouldn't be throwing a DD22 on an SV spool period. If I want to heave some heavy object out there then wind it back it then I'm going to opt for a deeper spool'd Magforce Z reel like a TD Zillion, Tatula or some sort of Shimano.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:00 am

I love all my sv reels. As long as you use them within their wheelhouses, they're excellent. All mine are on finesse type rods. I use the T3/Hedgehog Air on a Volkey 68L for bfs (flick shakes and mojo rigs, primarily, with some sub 1/4 hardbaits. I use the ss sv with an MS-X 65ML for 1/8-1/4 hardbaits, jerkbaits, small topwaters, more wacky worms, and finesse jigs. The SV 105 is mounted on the stinger tip tatula for even more wacky worms, neko rigs, light texas and jika rigs, finesse jigs, weightless plastics, jerkbaits, and is probably my favorite combo. The castability and sensitivity are just ridiculous AND it has some backbone. I have a Zillion SV that would probably be my top reel ever, but i haven't used it yet because it's the wrong ratio (long story.)

Anyway, I guess the SV105 edges out the competition, but mostly because of the rod it's on. I wouldn't trade any of them. Unless you have a Zillion SV 7.3 lefty and would rather have a 6.3 lefty...
This is the way.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am

LowRange wrote:I wouldn't be throwing a DD22 on an SV spool period. If I want to heave some heavy object out there then wind it back it then I'm going to opt for a deeper spool'd Magforce Z reel like a TD Zillion, Tatula or some sort of Shimano.
Agreed ... however as "general purpose" the reels you mentioned I own. They excel at the top end of the weight range. If someone is lucky to have multiple combos then go for specialized breaking or reels. I'm just stating that for " general purpose" the SV103 in my opinion is the best rounded I've used in a while.

Also I'm answering from the point of view that the question was asked for the reason of someone only having 1 - maybe a couple setups is why they asked " general use ". If the was another reason for asking I may would change my opinion.

On the note of deep spool. I've thrown up to DD22 and 6xd on 12 flouro as a coangler with the SV103 ( limited combos on board ). If you can cast all 12 lb. flouro off that spool on a single cast ... my hats off to you. I was using a Daiwa DX 7'6" crank rod and was chunking as far a I wanted to wind with no problems. If you don't think it has its adavantags try throwing a 6xd into 15-20 mph winds at Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend and get back with me. 6xd is not the most most aerodynamic lure
out there.

And yes it holds plenty of 50lb. braid to swap between A-rig and punching on a 7'6" JDM Zillion flip punch rod.

To each their own. I see it as a tank that can finesse or lunch cannonballs !

One thing I have noticed about TT over the years ... if its not finesse or max distance than it seems to not matter.

If distance is your thing ... tie on a 5/8 Xr50 with 40lb. braid mounted to a 7'11" Cumara gen 1 reaction series and a SV103 XS and go slinging. See what a SV spool can do outside a 6'6 or 7' rod in real world wind and ripping grass. Ya might be surprised of the distance too ...

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 am

Steez SV103
SV103 'zillion'
SV105 'alphas'

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 am

jpd0144 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I wouldn't be throwing a DD22 on an SV spool period. If I want to heave some heavy object out there then wind it back it then I'm going to opt for a deeper spool'd Magforce Z reel like a TD Zillion, Tatula or some sort of Shimano.
Agreed ... however as "general purpose" the reels you mentioned I own. They excel at the top end of the weight range. If someone is lucky to have multiple combos then go for specialized breaking or reels. I'm just stating that for " general purpose" the SV103 in my opinion is the best rounded I've used in a while.

Also I'm answering from the point of view that the question was asked for the reason of someone only having 1 - maybe a couple setups is why they asked " general use ". If the was another reason for asking I may would change my opinion.

On the note of deep spool. I've thrown up to DD22 and 6xd on 12 flouro as a coangler with the SV103 ( limited combos on board ). If you can cast all 12 lb. flouro off that spool on a single cast ... my hats off to you. I was using a Daiwa DX 7'6" crank rod and was chunking as far a I wanted to wind with no problems. If you don't think it has its adavantags try throwing a 6xd into 15-20 mph winds at Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend and get back with me. 6xd is not the most most aerodynamic lure
out there.

And yes it holds plenty of 50lb. braid to swap between A-rig and punching on a 7'6" JDM Zillion flip punch rod.

To each their own. I see it as a tank that can finesse or lunch cannonballs !

One thing I have noticed about TT over the years ... if its not finesse or max distance than it seems to not matter.

If distance is your thing ... tie on a 5/8 Xr50 with 40lb. braid mounted to a 7'11" Cumara gen 1 reaction series and a SV103 XS and go slinging. See what a SV spool can do outside a 6'6 or 7' rod in real world wind and ripping grass. Ya might be surprised of the distance too ...
Absolutely. Here in Oklahoma, when the wind comes sweeping down the plain (i.e. when the sun is up) and across the lake an SV spool is a godsend. They weren't kidding when they said Super Versatile, and i cant see a problem with that even if you do have a combo for everything.
This is the way.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Not on your list but the MB FX73SV is my absolute favorite for most applications
Happiness is a sore thumb

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:40 am

Steez sv103XS
Sv 105 Alpha
T3 sv 8.1