Looking for recommendations for a light saltwater/freshwater reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Looking for recommendations for a light saltwater/freshwater reel

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:41 am

Hi all,

I am looking for a light saltwater spinning reel that i can also use for freshwater finesse fishing (bass).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for recommendations for a light saltwater/freshwater reel

Post by mickeyfin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:49 pm

:oops: misread the question

Mick

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Post by Hanover » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Hmm..light saltwater and finesse fish for bass

Low end:
Daiwa SS1300, been around forever and still trustworthy if you can stand the lack of instant auto reverse, casts really nicely because of the tapered spool, dependable line wrap on the spool. This reel and the team Daiwa reels were bread and butter in the late 90's and 2000's on the tournament trail. Actually says ultralight freshwater on the box. Still around.

Middle end
Shimano Stradic ST2500-C3000HGFK, newer technology, has all the bells and whistles you would need.

These reels weigh less than 10 0z, C3000 Stradic will hold slightly more line than the 2500 with the same body, has a better handle than the Daiwa, smoother and less effort when handling. I've tuned and changed the bearings on the SS1300 but it will never be as smooth and quiet as the Stradic. Funny though, I still reach for the Daiwa when I do some light plugging with my 7' Avid. Must be habit.

Sure others will stop by and give you some input.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Hanover wrote:Hmm..light saltwater and finesse fish for bass

Low end:
Daiwa SS1300, been around forever and still trustworthy if you can stand the lack of instant auto reverse, casts really nicely because of the tapered spool, dependable line wrap on the spool. This reel and the team Daiwa reels were bread and butter in the late 90's and 2000's on the tournament trail. Actually says ultralight freshwater on the box. Still around.

Middle end
Shimano Stradic ST2500-C3000HGFK, newer technology, has all the bells and whistles you would need.

These reels weigh less than 10 0z, C3000 Stradic will hold slightly more line than the 2500 with the same body, has a better handle than the Daiwa, smoother and less effort when handling. I've tuned and changed the bearings on the SS1300 but it will never be as smooth and quiet as the Stradic. Funny though, I still reach for the Daiwa when I do some light plugging with my 7' Avid. Must be habit.

Sure others will stop by and give you some input.

Thanks for your reply! I like the Stradic option.

Here are some other reels that I found:

* Abu Garcia Orra Inshore Spinning Reel 30

* Abu Garcia REVO Inshore Spinning Reel 30

* Quantum Smoke Inshore PT Spinning Reel 30X

Thoughts on these?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 am

I use a Fuego 2000 and have had no problems.