Daiwa and T-Wings ...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa and T-Wings ...

Post by jpd0144 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Just curious to everyone's thoughts on if they think Daiwa will offer any new releases in the $200 and above range without a T-Wing within say the next 4-5 years ? Excluding limited edition releases like they did with the racing stripe Z. I'm speaking more main stream USDM.
After all the hype how could they for example in say 5 years go to a smaller opening on a line guide and not eat crow on the project T marketing benefits ?
How far do you see them riding the T-wing ? Is this something we will see on every mid to upper reel they bring to the table for the next 10 years ?

Also ... is everyone sold on T wings ? Or is there still some of y'all that would like to see at least some offerings in this range available with a variation of a standard line guide moving foward ?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa and T-Wings ...

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:55 am

What's your issue with the T wing?

I imagine they might come out with a more conventional level wind reel in the future if they want to offer a BFS type reel with a small profile. The TWS inevitably requires the front of the reel to be a touch wider. Personally I like the TWS. I think it makes a difference with heavier lines, and doesn't have any real disadvantages with any line, so why not.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

T wings are the real deal. :-({|=

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:52 am

Tim Kelly wrote:What's your issue with the T wing?
No real issues. I've had up to 7 reels at once with T wing.
It did however shake up the reel profile dept. Maybe I'm just too spoilt to the warm feel of the OG zillion, alpha, and Steez platforms.
I'm not denying the benefit of T wing especially with larger diameter flouro. We're talking 17-25+ lb. range.
Just wondering where does it go from here or is this it ?
I did however have the line jump out the bottom of wing on occasion jigging off the bottom with slack line. Also while palming and index finger under the line for feel I've had the same happen ( guess lifted it out accidentally ) . Not often though. Does make me cringe for hook sets.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 am

Don't really see why it would be a problem on hook sets. If the line's jumped out of the groove the angle of pull would be directly to the spool, like on a conventional reel. Having the line in a level wind gives the chance for it being and angle that could theoretically be a weak point. I have yet to see a down side to the TWS. If the line comes out of the groove it's only a couple of turns of the spool until it's caught up again, so no real issue.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:40 am

Tim Kelly wrote:Don't really see why it would be a problem on hook sets. If the line's jumped out of the groove the angle of pull would be directly to the spool, like on a conventional reel. Having the line in a level wind gives the chance for it being and angle that could theoretically be a weak point. I have yet to see a down side to the TWS. If the line comes out of the groove it's only a couple of turns of the spool until it's caught up again, so no real issue.
I had a Zillion TWS OG on a 8' stick with 50 lb braid while pitching jigs and it came out the center wing from my finger underneath the line. I was looking down at reel to correct when the strike came and I set. The wing was traveling extreme left on way to right side and the line was going onto spool off left side edge of wing instead of center and when I set it resulted in a hard pull off left side of wing edge because it didn't center itself due to position of line on spool. Next pitch something didn't feel right. Resulted in having to change pawl and worm gear.

Has never happened to me agin but that incident stays on my mind anytime I have a TWS reel in my hands now. Especially during bottom contact where I feel my line with my finger.
Last edited by jpd0144 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:42 am

I would like to see the TWS on a smaller, Alphas sized frame.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:46 am

Will that one incident stop me from buying future TWS reels ? Probably not.

I made this post more so just to get everyone's outlook on TWS since it has basically has taken over the entire mid on up line.

Wonder what moving forward will bring ...

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 am

I'm with written thus far, including negative, but side toward acceptance. Overall, after getting used to it, I like it. While I don't consider it must have, benefit to larger diameter is undeniable in my mind. To which, I consider 'larger' over true break 12 or 50 braid. That's my user threshold. Anything less, I'd sooner go without. Anything over, I would rather not go without.
PEACE

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 am

I hope they offer reels in sizes smaller than the steez, and larger than the lexa 300 and 400.

I bet we'll see a reel or two at some time in the next few years lacking the twing in tht 200$ price

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:50 am

jpd0144 wrote:I did however have the line jump out the bottom of wing on occasion jigging off the bottom with slack line.
If all you do is slack-line jigging/snapping (like me), it's a problem. Esp with light braid.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:09 am

I'm not a fan, nor am I sold on it.
<")))><{

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 am

To Each His Own.

Daiwa seems like they have made there bed. Don't like it, don't buy new Daiwa. Like it, buy 'em.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 am

Finnz922 wrote:To Each His Own.

Daiwa seems like they have made there bed. Don't like it, don't buy new Daiwa. Like it, buy 'em.
Agreed. That's why I will more than likely still buy one here and there. However I don't plan on selling off all my OGs either.

What's your thought on T wing and do you think the design will still stand the test of time ? ... What's next an even larger T wing ? :shock:

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Like t wings for reaction baits and long casts. I do not like them for Bottom contact baits and pitching as I seem to get my line in the upper T part quite often.