What Spinning fishing reel to buy !?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
alexLita
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

What Spinning fishing reel to buy !?

Post by alexLita » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a real problem to choose my reel, I want to use it in pike fishing in lakes mostly.
I can't decide between there 3 spinning reels:

KastKing Sharky II 2000
vs
Daiwa Revros REV2500H
vs
Daiwa Legalis LGL2500SH

I need your opinions regarding these reels.
Thank you.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What Spinning fishing reel to buy !?

Post by TommyG » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Alex, Welcome! Have not used any of those reels, but for pike I would go with the one that has the most line capacity.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:20 am

I'm not going to help much either in terms of specific recommendations, but I'm curious why you're looking at such small reels for pike. I'd definitely recommend reels in the 4000 class.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:40 am

Randingo wrote:I'm not going to help much either in terms of specific recommendations, but I'm curious why you're looking at such small reels for pike. I'd definitely recommend reels in the 4000 class.
I was thinking the same thing. Will a 2500 hold enough line and have enough drag for pike?

BlueBlueSky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BlueBlueSky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:05 am

I don't see line capacity being a problem if you are going to be using braided lines, otherwise a bit bigger reel is appropriate. Pike doesn't really need that much drag force, and those 2500 size reels usually have enough drag power even for the biggest pikes. My biggest northern pike with 2000 size spinning reel was 28lbs, and there wasn't really any problem at all. I didn't feel during the fight that reel would let me down, and it did not. That reel was Penn Battle 2000, and line was braided.
But i think the size of the lures you are going to use plays a bigger role selecting the reel size, 4000 is good size if you are going to throw big jerkbaits and shads. Otherwise 2500 will do the job with smaller lures.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am

I'd definitely invest in an aluminum body.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 pm

poisonokie wrote:I'd definitely invest in an aluminum body.
Ditto, and the Legalis is the only reel listed with an aluminum frame. I have the 2500 and I think its a very good reel, especially for the $45-$55 price tag on many of the budget/auction sites.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I'd definitely invest in an aluminum body.
Ditto, and the Legalis is the only reel you listed with an aluminum frame. I have the 2500 and I think its a very good reel, especially for the $45-$55 price tag on many of the budget/auction sites.
Word.
This is the way.