SV103 vs. J-Dream

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SV103 vs. J-Dream

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:36 am

How do these reels compare? Thank you!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103 vs. J-Dream

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:03 pm

2 totally different, but almost the same reels. As far as "feel" the J Dream is gonna take the cake with the extra bearings, and that spool. As far as a "do it all" the SV103 is gonna take that. Really both reels are amazing in their own respects. I would take the SV103 over the J Dream due to versatility. But that J Dream is one sexy mother.
<")))><{

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 am

The J-dream is going to cast further and crank smoother. It is one sweet reel for casting crankbaits. The SV 103 is going to be better for pitching and skipping.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 pm

There are also the Megabass IP reels that are the same platform as the J-Dream but have a stronger breaking profile. Confused yet?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:28 pm

I have the megabass IP79 which is the same as the j-dream just different paint job,and i have the sv103 and both cast and feel the same ,both smooth and can bomb it out there but the SV103 can cast lighter baits.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

spencerinstl wrote:The J-dream is going to cast further and crank smoother. It is one sweet reel for casting crankbaits. The SV 103 is going to be better for pitching and skipping.
have to disagree casting difference and smoothness on the retrieve are equal with both.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 pm

phatbass wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:The J-dream is going to cast further and crank smoother. It is one sweet reel for casting crankbaits. The SV 103 is going to be better for pitching and skipping.
have to disagree casting difference and smoothness on the retrieve are equal with both.
Guess I will have to do a side by side test this week on vacation. The J dream is buttery smooth and has 3 more bearings.
I love my SV 103, but I think the J Dream casts a little further. The sv spool has more control in the SV 103.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:03 am

spencerinstl wrote:
phatbass wrote:
Guess I will have to do a side by side test this week on vacation. The J dream is buttery smooth and has 3 more bearings.
I love my SV 103, but I think the J Dream casts a little further. The sv spool has more control in the SV 103.
with the cast control knob set to stop side to side movement in the spool and the mag brakes set at 3 on both reels i was able to get great distance with no fluff in the spool at any point in the cast,the difference in the sv103 was it took less effort.both excellent reels and the last of there kind,before daiwa decided to cheapen up the zillion and use more plastic.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:23 am

SV 103 also has the advantage of being a 103 reel. Lots and lots of spools out there of that size. I would think an R + or T3 1016 spool would offer some more distance but still be fairly controlled.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:30 am

phatbass wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
phatbass wrote:
with the cast control knob set to stop side to side movement in the spool and the mag brakes set at 3 on both reels i was able to get great distance with no fluff in the spool at any point in the cast,the difference in the sv103 was it took less effort.both excellent reels and the last of there kind,before daiwa decided to cheapen up the zillion and use more plastic.
I guess your right. Must be my perception since I haven't had the SV103 for too long. I agree both are smooth awesome reels.
Love the 6.3 J Dream for crankbaits.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 am

I don't know if they ever could get rid of that reel platform. In fact, bring it back made of Mg, put an SV spool in it, and call it the 20th Anniversary TD-Z SV (since 1998 was the first year of the TD-Z) and bring it back as a limited model at I-Cast under the price of the current Steez SV. Hotcakes...they'd sell the hotcakes!!!

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 am

Big-Bass wrote:I don't know if they ever could get rid of that reel platform. In fact, bring it back made of Mg, put an SV spool in it, and call it the 20th Anniversary TD-Z SV (since 1998 was the first year of the TD-Z) and bring it back as a limited model at I-Cast under the price of the current Steez SV. Hotcakes...they'd sell the hotcakes!!!
they did get rid of that platform the SV103 ( zillion) was discontinued this year.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 am

phatbass wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:I don't know if they ever could get rid of that reel platform. In fact, bring it back made of Mg, put an SV spool in it, and call it the 20th Anniversary TD-Z SV (since 1998 was the first year of the TD-Z) and bring it back as a limited model at I-Cast under the price of the current Steez SV. Hotcakes...they'd sell the hotcakes!!!
they did get rid of that platform the SV103 ( zillion) was discontinued this year.
They said that back in the day too, and look what happened \:D/
<")))><{

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 pm

phatbass wrote:
Yep, and at the sale price, if someone hasn't bought one yet they better before they sell out.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm

I bought three! Two in 7.9 and one in 6.3.