Daiwa Luvias vs Shimano Stradic

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Luvias vs Shimano Stradic

Post by aqua71 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm

I need 2 new spinning reels and I’m on the fence on which one to purchase.

I’m considering the following models:

(1) Daiwa Luvias 2510PE-H (15 model)
(2) Shimano ci4+ 2500 (new model)

I’m primarily a Daiwa fan, but I have not had a chance to handle the Luvias. I have however played with the Shimano in-store and it felt very nice. My only concern with the Luvias is the Magseal oil when the time comes to service the reel.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Luvias vs Shimano Stradic

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 am

I am biased toward Daiwa, but...
I am pretty sure the Luvias is more expensive by a decent chunk.
The Stradic is a little faster, which I like.
Stradic is lighter.
Stradic has line roller bearing (not sure if the Luvias does, know the Ballistic doesn't).
I wouldn't mind the Magseal, but would worry about it.

This all being said, from reviews I have read, the Luvias is kind of a tougher, heavier duty spinning reel. I do not have a Luvias though and only one of my friends has Daiwa upper level spinning reels so I could be off (sorry if anything was, I am fairly sure it isn't though).

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 am

What is the main difference between Luvias models aside from the shallow and deep spool models?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:40 am

I've had a Rarenium Ci4+ 2000 and a Daiwa 12 Luvias 2508. Both were great, smooth and connected. Hard to pick a winner here. For what it's worth, the Luvias is made in Japan. I'd be curious what that auto adjust drag is like on the new Luvias models. I also like the air bail on Daiwa spinning reels better.

Steez123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steez123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 am

I have the Luvias 2510 PE. It is very smooth, way smoother than the Shimano in my opinion. It is light for a Daiwa spinning reel and has a slight plastic feel to it. I would not classify it as a heavy duty reel as my Certate is way more solid and has less flex. I would pick it over the Shimano. In fact, I liked it so much I bought a second one in the 2004 size.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 pm

I was a Shimano guy for years, until I bought a Presso 1025. I prefer the Daiwa by a wide margin. Casts better than my Cardiff SS2000 JDM, the Daiwa has a smaller profile body, better drag, smoother. I wouldn't expect the new Luvias to be any different in comparison to a Stradic.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am

Steez123 wrote:It is light for a Daiwa spinning reel and has a slight plastic feel to it.
I was afraid of that. Again, I never handled the Luvias, but I did get to play with the Stradic which had that plastic feel to it. That "cheap" plastic feel is a deal breaker for me so both reels are now off the table. I initially wanted something lighter, but I love the solid smooth feeling of aluminum reels. Having said that, I just decided I will go with my original option and purchase the Certate. Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 am

aqua71 wrote:
Steez123 wrote:It is light for a Daiwa spinning reel and has a slight plastic feel to it.
I was afraid of that. Again, I never handled the Luvias, but I did get to play with the Stradic which had that plastic feel to it. That "cheap" plastic feel is a deal breaker for me so both reels are now off the table. I initially wanted something lighter, but I love the solid smooth feeling of aluminum reels. Having said that, I just decided I will go with my original option and purchase the Certate. Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.
Great choice, I'm with you there, forego a lighter reel for something more solid, I have a caldia (zaion) and a blast (Ali) and I know which one I prefer when detecting bites and definitely once hooked up to a solid fish!