Stella FI

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Skokie_Bass
Angler
Angler

Stella FI

Post by Skokie_Bass » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 am

Picked up a Stella FI 3000 to mount on a 13 Fishing Archangel Rod. Surprised there was no extra spool considering the price. Regardless I need an extra spool...considering buying another spool. Anyone know if there are any Yumeya spools for this reel? Would appreciate any opinions on what I should pick up and why. Size 3000. Thanks!

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Stella FI

Post by Gloomis34 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 am

There are go on hedge hog studios they have them on there

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:13 am

Skokie_Bass wrote:Picked up a Stella FI 3000 to mount on a 13 Fishing Archangel Rod. Surprised there was no extra spool considering the price. Regardless I need an extra spool...considering buying another spool. Anyone know if there are any Yumeya spools for this reel? Would appreciate any opinions on what I should pick up and why. Size 3000. Thanks!
I have the 3000 also. I have seen them before on various auction sites.

Skokie_Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Skokie_Bass » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks guys. Still almost put off by not coming with an extra spool. Worst thing about it is winding any other spinning reel feel like crap lol! My Stradic CI4 feel like a kids reel. Picked it up new and feel like selling and saving the money for another Stella.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 pm

Skokie_Bass wrote:Worst thing about it is winding any other spinning reel feel like crap lol! My Stradic CI4 feel like a kids reel. Picked it up new and feel like selling and saving the money for another Stella.
Wait for the corrosion on the FI. Make your wish you didn't sell your Stradic Ci4.

They may feel crap to wind against a 12 bearing magnesium bodied reel, but when a Stradic is tightened up and adorned with a full suite of extra bearings they're a formidable reel.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:20 am

Tightened up and adorned? Please share the process/parts if you don't mind?

Stella's are so spendy it would be nice to get close for less money....

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:10 am

Stella corrosion? Do tell. I have a 2000 and a 4000hg that see most of their action in saltwater. Not a sign of corrosion after several years of use. And these are not the saltwater models.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

Strewth wrote:Stella corrosion? Do tell. I have a 2000 and a 4000hg that see most of their action in saltwater. Not a sign of corrosion after several years of use. And these are not the saltwater models.
I see a few Stella's more than two. Also have seen two 1000pgs'so used for trout here in Aus and both were corroded behind the rear but cap.

I have to be on my laptop to post pics.

Skokie_Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Skokie_Bass » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:42 am

Slazmo wrote:
Strewth wrote:Stella corrosion? Do tell. I have a 2000 and a 4000hg that see most of their action in saltwater. Not a sign of corrosion after several years of use. And these are not the saltwater models.
I see a few Stella's more than two. Also have seen two 1000pgs'so used for trout here in Aus and both were corroded behind the rear but cap.

I have to be on my laptop to post pics.
Def don't like hearing that. Please post some pics.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

Two of the exclusively freshwater used Stella's that have started to corrode in the rear.
Stella 1000S PGS-I (TT).jpg
Stella 1000S PGS-I (TT).jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
Stella C2000S 2 (TT).jpg
Stella C2000S 2 (TT).jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
Stella C2000S (TT).jpg
Stella C2000S (TT).jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
I could go on all day showing the Magnesium corrosion from both major parties however the Stella's seem to go first in the rear and that corrosion travels then either up the reels foot or deviates into the reel frame.

Just something to keep an eye out for in the future - definitely pay to keep this whole rear area well lubed / painted with a corrosion inhibiting grease or a grease with something like CorrosionX mixed into it, and to make sure that the weep holes are open at all times to allow to dry.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:38 am

I think it's a your mileage may vary kind of thing.

From Flooders, abus stellas to saltigas. I've owned and worked on tons of mag reels.

I've seen it...and know it exists. But in freshwater. It is rare.

I'm not even positive that grease will help. Once the outer coating is compromised

And it always seems to be where there is standing water underneath the wrash guard that you have shown.

I'm surprised that reel seats weren't more prone to show signs of corrosion.

Most of which is superficial and only effects resale. Although on the saltiga...........it does have an impact on the reel structurally.