Chronarch MGL vs Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Chronarch MGL vs Zillion SV TW

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:58 am

I'm in the market for a new flipping reel, as well as, a new reel for my jerkbait rod. I will probably end up with both reels this week \:D/ I just don't wanna get the right reels in the wrong ratios..

My question is, should I get the Chronarch MGL for flipping due to its 8.1:1 ratio option, or should I get the zillion sv tw because of its t wing and sv spool? Or is the chronarch more of a "reaction bait reel"? I am more than familiar with Daiwa reels, but I have yet to try the new zillions.. But I also have never used a shimano reel with the mgl spool. I see TT have the new chronarch a pretty solid review. And I've also read that the zillion is a good reel.

Due to living where I do, I am not able to walk into my nearest outdoor store and hold $300 reels. I will have to order them in order to feel them.

Looking for advice!
Thanks

Side note: first post on here so be kind lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL vs Zillion SV TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I basically joined on a similar question, but it include about 4 more reels and the 2 you mentioned. I do not own either, but if you have been around the original Chronarch Ci4+ much, my understanding is that the MGL is a refined, lighter spool, smoother (micro) geared version of it. The Zillion SV TW is like a Tatula CT with a free floating spool, SV shallower spool (G1 at that), lighter overall, etc.

I think either will fit the purposes you described, any lure over 1/4 should be easy for these reels. The Zillion SV TW should for sure cast lighter weight and be more user friendly though. I am a biased Daiwa fan, but the Micro Module Gearing and MGL spool do still keep me thinking...

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I basically joined on a similar question, but it include about 4 more reels and the 2 you mentioned. I do not own either, but if you have been around the original Chronarch Ci4+ much, my understanding is that the MGL is a refined, lighter spool, smoother (micro) geared version of it. The Zillion SV TW is like a Tatula CT with a free floating spool, SV shallower spool (G1 at that), lighter overall, etc.

I think either will fit the purposes you described, any lure over 1/4 should be easy for these reels. The Zillion SV TW should for sure cast lighter weight and be more user friendly though. I am a biased Daiwa fan, but the Micro Module Gearing and MGL spool do still keep me thinking...
I too am a biased Daiwa fan. Having 5 or 6 Daiwas I don't doubt that the SV TW would perform. I also have a chronarch 200e and a Curado I, and I have to admit I love them both. So I can only imagine what newer and higher end shimano reels can do. What does the G1 mean pertaining to the SV spool?

I think I may try the chronarch mgl for jerk baits, that happens to be what TT threw in their review. The reel I pick for flipping will see the occasional 3/16 oz weight.. which leads me to debating on the SV 105 :-k

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:24 pm

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I basically joined on a similar question, but it include about 4 more reels and the 2 you mentioned. I do not own either, but if you have been around the original Chronarch Ci4+ much, my understanding is that the MGL is a refined, lighter spool, smoother (micro) geared version of it. The Zillion SV TW is like a Tatula CT with a free floating spool, SV shallower spool (G1 at that), lighter overall, etc.

I too am a biased Daiwa fan. Having 5 or 6 Daiwas I don't doubt that the SV TW would perform. I also have a chronarch 200e and a Curado I, and I have to admit I love them both. So I can only imagine what newer and higher end shimano reels can do. What does the G1 mean pertaining to the SV spool?

I think I may try the chronarch mgl for jerk baits, that happens to be what TT threw in their review. The reel I pick for flipping will see the occasional 3/16 oz weight.. which leads me to debating on the SV 105 :-k
G1 is a lighter aluminum (or duralumin) that A7505. The Tatula SV coming out uses A7505, as do the SV105 and SV103, the gains are probably miniscule for general purpose, but begin to shine with light baits.
This being said, I love my SV105 more than any other reel, the gearbox isn't huge and it might not be the strongest, but it handles all bass duty I have and for sale prices (or ordering an Alphas SV from Japan) they only become even more worth it.
I am really glad less people have reels like that, ability to finesse fish would have more people eating my pet bass...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:I'm in the market for a new flipping reel, as well as, a new reel for my jerkbait rod. I will probably end up with both reels this week \:D/ I just don't wanna get the right reels in the wrong ratios..

My question is, should I get the Chronarch MGL for flipping due to its 8.1:1 ratio option, or should I get the zillion sv tw because of its t wing and sv spool? Or is the chronarch more of a "reaction bait reel"? I am more than familiar with Daiwa reels, but I have yet to try the new zillions.. But I also have never used a shimano reel with the mgl spool. I see TT have the new chronarch a pretty solid review. And I've also read that the zillion is a good reel.

Due to living where I do, I am not able to walk into my nearest outdoor store and hold $300 reels. I will have to order them in order to feel them.

Looking for advice!
Thanks

Side note: first post on here so be kind lol
You could always order a 9.1 Zillion SV TW form Japan. It will cost you less and you get a super fast reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:55 pm

TWS for the win.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 am

not that you asked but its hard for me not to recommend the Metanium MGL XG (8.1:1) for less than $300 shipped.

https://www.digitaka.com/list.php?categ ... TANIUM+MGL

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:43 am

bigfruits wrote:not that you asked but its hard for me not to recommend the Metanium MGL XG (8.1:1) for less than $300 shipped.

Get'em while they're hot! They're almost sold out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 am

JigginOG wrote:
bigfruits wrote:not that you asked but its hard for me not to recommend the Metanium MGL XG (8.1:1) for less than $300 shipped.

Get'em while they're hot! They're almost sold out.
Didn't make it in time, figures. Is that a common occurrence??? The Zillion SV TW regularly goes or can be found around $250, even American sites sell it for that. That being said, a Metanium going for that price is unreal...

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 am

DirtyD64 - If you dont mind waiting they should have them back in stock at some point. The right XG was sold out when i posted the link, sorry for the buzzkill.

Japan Lure shop has them too but they charge shipping. you might get a free lure from them tho. Japan Angler is another good source. Kazu is great to deal with. I have ordered from all 3 of these stores multiple times each. Super fast shipping and no problems.

https://japanlureshop.com/reel/shimano/ ... m-mgl.html
http://jpangler.com/index.php/reel/shim ... m-mgl.html (choose US dollars top left)

if you dont mind paying a little more for a larger spool and a warranty, email Gary at the Tackle Trap. i think hes fished every rod and reel known to man and his customer service cant be beat. tell him you are a Tackle Tour member.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 pm

My email didn't notify me that you responded. Funny you brought that up though, I decided to scratch the idea of the chronarch and zillion. I have both the Steez Sv 103XS and the Met MGL XG in my cart right now at Tackle Warehouse. I have a small gift card to there, so I'm gonna burn it on a reel haha.

With that being said, preferences and info on the both of those reels would be nice. Never having owned reel at the $400 price point, I do not know who to go with. I have experience with both companies. I cannot find much on the Steez SV103 to read about, as everyone seems to only be interested in JDM Daiwa reels at that price point these days. On the contrary, the met mgl gets only glorious reviews haha.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

GotEmOutdoors wrote:

My email didn't notify me that you responded. Funny you brought that up though, I decided to scratch the idea of the chronarch and zillion. I have both the Steez Sv 103XS and the Met MGL XG in my cart right now at Tackle Warehouse. I have a small gift card to there, so I'm gonna burn it on a reel haha.

With that being said, preferences and info on the both of those reels would be nice. Never having owned reel at the $400 price point, I do not know who to go with. I have experience with both companies. I cannot find much on the Steez SV103 to read about, as everyone seems to only be interested in JDM Daiwa reels at that price point these days. On the contrary, the met mgl gets only glorious reviews haha.
I think that since steez sv reels were already out in japan awhile so people didnt bother trying the steez sv. I got my steez sv 8.1 for $300 which was a steal. With a 5in senko and wind, it throws better than my met mgl. Calm days with a senko, met mgl cast farther. Steez definitely not worth $399. If i had a TW gift card id just get the steez sv tws. Other than that, jdm met mgl for $300 is just hard to beat

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:53 pm

So the Steez SV TW is the real deal? I see they put the new A on Tackle Warehouse. It surprisingly comes in @ $449. So I guess it's between the Steez A Tw and Met mgl.. there's worse decisions to have to make in life haha.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Hate to bring back an old thread, but I cannot get a definite answer. Most people say to order a Metanium when the topic is asked...

I just want to know which one people would pick, overall for a 7' M, fast action rod. I already have one Zillion SV and am crazy impressed, but I wanna know if I am missing out.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, figured it was better than posting another new one...

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Order a Met. ;)

Nah for real though. If you are curious as to what Shimano has to offer, why not go for the Met vs "settling" for the Chronarch? You get a magnesium frame for, what..maybe $20-$30 more!? ($294 w/free shipping on Digitaka) I honestly think your getting good advice...

If you can't get past the whole warranty thing, then I guess order a Chronarch. I'm sure it's a casting machine...

You'll probably always wonder what Shimano has to offer until you give one a try, so I say go for it.