SS SV Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SS SV Question

Post by Basspastor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am

I got a really good deal on a Daiwa SS SV 103H reel with some boat rash on eBay. I’ve never used an SV reel before, but have read and watched video's of such good things about the SV spool. It came today, so I spooled it up with 125yrds of 14lb Fireline and went to test it out at a spot that has some open water; I’m in central MN where lakes are still iced up.

Unfortunately I kind of left my brain at home. The wind at my back was blowing about 15mph and I was throwing the Fluke out a long ways, so I backed the brakes down to two or three and was getting excellent distance with the wind. I was a happy camper. I pretty much never dial my TD- Z’s below 4 because of overrun; I hate getting any overrun.

I went to skip the Fluke without turning the breaks back up and I backlashed really bad on my first attempt. Skipping flukes is a big reason I wanted an SV reel. I was totally not expecting to run into anywhere near that kind of backlash. I ended up having to cut all but about 40 yards from the spool. I was able to get the Fluke to skip with minimal overrun with the brakes set at 6 and 5 unless I totally botched the cast. I wasn’t real happy with the casting distance now. I also did try some casting into the wind, but I was pretty much frustrated doing that.

I was expecting the reel to perform much better than a TD-Z, but it seemed to me there was only marginal improvement. Maybe I just need to get to know the reel better.

So was I expecting too much from the SV? Or does it sound like the reel might have issues? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Bass Pundit Blog

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV Question

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 am

Out of all the SV reels I've used, this was my least favorite. Definitely not a distance caster. The braking profile is rather strong. Should make an excellent skipping reel. Where did you have the spool tension set? The Tdz is definitely a superior machine imo. Toss the right SV spool in it and it's money.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:36 pm

The fireline did it, I tried the same thing because I bought some 20lb and 14lb fireline from Walmart on sale. It is a line designed more for spinning reels and it caused me multiple issues in specific casting reel situations. I mainly use (like 90%) fluorocarbon for skipping light lures with my SV reels.

I also feel the SS/SV catches a hard time, mine has been great and casts alright. They are definitely control spools, but I still cast plenty far when necessary.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:57 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:The fireline did it, I tried the same thing because I bought some 20lb and 14lb fireline from Walmart on sale. It is a line designed more for spinning reels and it caused me multiple issues in specific casting reel situations. I mainly use (like 90%) fluorocarbon for skipping light lures with my SV reels.

I also feel the SS/SV catches a hard time, mine has been great and casts alright. They are definitely control spools, but I still cast plenty far when necessary.
I have a feeling the Tatula SV is going to be a control spool as well. Daiwa has been advertising the skipping ability of it. I feel the new Tatula SV is going to be a good "gateway drug" to the higher Daiwa offerings.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 am

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The fireline did it, I tried the same thing because I bought some 20lb and 14lb fireline from Walmart on sale. It is a line designed more for spinning reels and it caused me multiple issues in specific casting reel situations. I mainly use (like 90%) fluorocarbon for skipping light lures with my SV reels.

I have a feeling the Tatula SV is going to be a control spool as well. Daiwa has been advertising the skipping ability of it. I feel the new Tatula SV is going to be a good "gateway drug" to the higher Daiwa offerings.
Gateway drug is a good way to put it. I also wonder if they will slightly change the diameter where you cannot just insert the Tatula SV spool into a regular or Type-R CT... Should still be great though, I know that I throw a 4" Easy Shiner with a 3/16 OMTD jighead as far as I would ever like on my SS/SV w/ 12lb Invisx. I keep brakes fairly low though, and just really modulate with my thumb.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 am

I didn't catch that part. Fireline is a nightmare. I've never seen a line stick and dig so bad in my life.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

These are finesse reels with finesse drags to be mounted on finesse rods and spooled with finesse line, especially braid. I think they engineered them with like 15# braid in mind, because it doesnt have a strong drag, but it's ample enough and as smooth as possible and frankly, slinging 1/8-1/2 oz hardbaits, or weightless flick-shakes, skipping stick baits or finesse jigs, or pitching little ned rigs could hardly be better than it is with an ss sv. IMHO, of course. I have mine spooled with 15# j-braid and mounted on an MS-X 6'5" ML for general finesse moving bait work and it's amazing. I get great distance regardless of the bait or wind and it's super smooth, yet solidly connected and perfectly balanced. There's nary a backlash or line dig in sight and it plays and lands fish no problem. The only improvement it really needs is a shallow spool, which i have yet to do, mostly because I don't think it needs a different braking profile and acquiring the spool from the 105 model is npt easy. And maybe a set of hedgehog air. I just don't get why people want to go frogging and flipping and deep cranking with it. That's what Tatulas and Zillions are built for. The ss sv is designed to replace spinning reels and it excels at that. Just some food for thought. Precisely 2 cents worth.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:

Gateway drug is a good way to put it. I also wonder if they will slightly change the diameter where you cannot just insert the Tatula SV spool into a regular or Type-R CT... Should still be great though, I know that I throw a 4" Easy Shiner with a 3/16 OMTD jighead as far as I would ever like on my SS/SV w/ 12lb Invisx. I keep brakes fairly low though, and just really modulate with my thumb.
They did. It's a 33mm spool like an alphas.
This is the way.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply's. I'll try putting some FC on it and see if that makes a difference.

As for Fireline, I don't think that was the problem. I love the stuff and have fished it on baitcasters since they introduced it back in the 90's. I rarely backlash with it, except when a cast comes to an abrupt end such as that skip. That is only the second time I can remember having to cut out a backlash with Fireline. Like I said, I left my brain at home. I was just so excited to be out casting in open water with the new reel that I thought was basically backlash proof. Now I know different, lesson learned. I ended up finding the SV Concept Demonstration Manuel on You Tube. It would seem my overfilling the spool combined with the low magnetic setting was what set me up for disaster.

It also probably didn't help that I was throwing with a rod I had never fished before, a Tatula 6'10"M. It definitely reacts differently than the Avid 6'8"MXF I'm used to throwing with.
Bass Pundit Blog

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 am

Basspastor wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I'll try putting some FC on it and see if that makes a difference.

As for Fireline, I don't think that was the problem. I love the stuff and have fished it on baitcasters since they introduced it back in the 90's. I rarely backlash with it, except when a cast comes to an abrupt end such as that skip. That is only the second time I can remember having to cut out a backlash with Fireline. Like I said, I left my brain at home. I was just so excited to be out casting in open water with the new reel that I thought was basically backlash proof. Now I know different, lesson learned. I ended up finding the SV Concept Demonstration Manuel on You Tube. It would seem my overfilling the spool combined with the low magnetic setting was what set me up for disaster.

It also probably didn't help that I was throwing with a rod I had never fished before, a Tatula 6'10"M. It definitely reacts differently than the Avid 6'8"MXF I'm used to throwing with.
Yep. Definitely don't overfill the spool. SV spools actually run best when filled about roughly 80% . I understand the idea of sticking to what has worked, and what you know, but you really should try a nice 8 carrier braided line. SV spools love a soft and manageable line. It can only enhance the experience.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:07 am

poisonokie wrote:These are finesse reels with finesse drags to be mounted on finesse rods and spooled with finesse line, especially braid. I think they engineered them with like 15# braid in mind, because it doesnt have a strong drag, but it's ample enough and as smooth as possible and frankly, slinging 1/8-1/2 oz hardbaits, or weightless flick-shakes, skipping stick baits or finesse jigs, or pitching little ned rigs could hardly be better than it is with an ss sv. IMHO, of course. I have mine spooled with 15# j-braid and mounted on an MS-X 6'5" ML for general finesse moving bait work and it's amazing. I get great distance regardless of the bait or wind and it's super smooth, yet solidly connected and perfectly balanced. There's nary a backlash or line dig in sight and it plays and lands fish no problem. The only improvement it really needs is a shallow spool, which i have yet to do, mostly because I don't think it needs a different braking profile and acquiring the spool from the 105 model is npt easy. And maybe a set of hedgehog air. I just don't get why people want to go frogging and flipping and deep cranking with it. That's what Tatulas and Zillions are built for. The ss sv is designed to replace spinning reels and it excels at that. Just some food for thought. Precisely 2 cents worth.
I agree about using a Tatula or Zillion for heavy work 100% . I'd relate the SS SV as a power finesse type of reel opposed to true finesse, just like all the new SV Steez reels. I'd opt for the Alphas Air for bfs.