Abu spinning worth a look?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Abu spinning worth a look?

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 am

I'm looking at getting a sub $200 spinning reel and am just curious if the newer Abus are somewhat equal to their Daiwa and Shimano counterparts. I 'm going to get a shallow spooled 2500 sized reel.
I currently have a 2506 Luvias, but I am really wanting to try something new on another rod-
Should I go Stradic or Abu Premier/Rocket/ALX?
Or do I need to get a Stradic and an Abu and buy another spinning rod!?
Let's hear your opinions.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Abu spinning worth a look?

Post by Prancing Pony » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 am

I suggest you stick to the Shimano which is your safest bet. With that being said, I swear I will get my hand on the JDM Revo ALX spinning reel one day. It's by far the sexiest spinning reel I've ever seen, second only to the Daiwa Saltiga Expedition.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

KlingerNOK wrote:I'm looking at getting a sub $200 spinning reel and am just curious if the newer Abus are somewhat equal to their Daiwa and Shimano counterparts. I 'm going to get a shallow spooled 2500 sized reel.
I currently have a 2506 Luvias, but I am really wanting to try something new on another rod-
Should I go Stradic or Abu Premier/Rocket/ALX?
Or do I need to get a Stradic and an Abu and buy another spinning rod!?
Let's hear your opinions.
The Stradic has been such a go-to reliable workhorse for so many guys I know who use the hell out of those reels ( tons of king salmon buddies with tons of heavy fish fighting ) it would be very hard for me to justify pointing you towards an Abu .

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I bought a Revo STX20 and filled it with 10lb Sufix 832, got it for like $140 on sale and it is a great reel. I think the MGX and Premier would also be great. They are not as refined feeling as my Stradic, but do not feel lesser by any means. I actually probably use the STX third most of all my reels behind my SV105 and SS/SV because I need the finesse (really based from the spinning dropshot rod it is on).
I have been very rough on this reel and it feels perfect still, Abu has great customer support, I read reviews for months when deciding on a new spinning reel (still would have been fine with the old Ci4+, just wanted something new) and found a story where someone up north had a Revo STX with a bad anti reverse bearing. Abu traded it for a new reel, happened again, and they sent him a brand new Revo Rocket spinning and let him keep the old one (which he fixed, it had gotten grease in the bearing both times he claimed, and maybe had something to do with 20 degree weather).
There might be a debate in 3rd place for baitcasters, but in spinning, it is hands down Abu Garcia for me, also own a Gen1 Revo Premier30 that is great, and an old OrraS30 for crappie that does fine.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:09 am

I talked myself out of that crazy idea and ordered a 2500HGS Stradic FK from digitaka.
Thanks guys!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 am

KlingerNOK wrote:I talked myself out of that crazy idea and ordered a 2500HGS Stradic FK from digitaka.
Thanks guys!
Good decision!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:01 am

How bad was the total cost (shipping, fees, etc.)??????

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:14 am

DirtyD64 wrote:How bad was the total cost (shipping, fees, etc.)??????
All the reels on their site are priced including shipping.
I believe the reel was around $160, but I ended up paying a bit more because paypal really gives you the shaft on the exchange rate.
I've seen the Stradics on sale for $150 on a few US sites, but I really wanted the shallow spooled version not available here.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:15 am

Probably worth it, I wish my spinning reels didn't waste so much line. The Gen1 Revo Premier30 my girlfriend uses took an entire 150yd spool of Sufix 832 with room to spare. I bought the braid for like $9 at a local store going out of business so no big deal, but my god spinning reels hold too much line. I really like to use light fluoro on spinning because I dropshot so much and hate tying leaders over and over so a shallow spooled Japanese spinning reel would be great. I love the double handle Shimano high speed reels. I would hate bought a Daiwa Ballistic EX but learned that the line roller had no bearings and it bothered me. That being said, I still would give Abu spinning reels a look one day if you get bored, they aren't so bad and recently have improved more.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am

The Revo MGX can be had forclose to $200 and its very nice. I bought 3 and couldn't be happier. Very light and amazingly smooth.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 am

IMHO I would spend another 30 bucks and get another Luvias...lot of reel for the money.

Regards

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 am

The Revo and Orra series are super high efficiency, state-of-the-art designs.