2017 Daiwa Spinning - Tatula?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

2017 Daiwa Spinning - Tatula?

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am

Since Daiwa has a new line of Tatula Elite spinning rods coming out, will they be introducing any new spinning reels (maybe under the Tatula moniker) or something different for these rods? Thanks and best wishes on the water!

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2017 Daiwa Spinning - Tatula?

Post by Randingo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am

I got no indication of anything new in the mid-priced spinning reel category from the Daiwa reps I spoke with at a show last week. From what I can tell, everything from ~$100-200 is unchanged, and they weren't talking about any new badges, either.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:09 am

Well, i mean, there have been Tatula spinning rods from the get-go, so i dont know why anything would change. The procyon reels are a good match for the tatula rods, but not the procyon rods really.
This is the way.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 am

Yes. There will be a tatula spinner coming out. I think you'll see an adjustment or some new models in the 100-200$ range released in the upcoming months.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Yes. There will be a tatula spinner coming out. I think you'll see an adjustment or some new models in the 100-200$ range released in the upcoming months.
I hope it doesn't have Magseal.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 pm

What's wrong with magseal?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Big-Bass wrote:What's wrong with magseal?
I only fish freshwater so I don't think magseal is needed. I guess I am a little paranoid that the magseal is going to leak eventually. I would just rather not have to worry about it.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

In my experience the mag seal oil becomes thick after a year or so and affects performance, I have noticed this more prevalent in spinning reels making the feel tight.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 am

I just hope it has line roller bearings, I don't know why that bothers me so bad on the Ballistic EX, I don't care about the weight or anything else, but line roller bearings bother me. I understand it is kind of like a levelwind, but the rotation of a spinning reel makes me think a non-bearing line roller is just begging for line twist.
If they make it have bearings on the line roller, I will buy at least one.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 pm

joekaz wrote:
I only fish freshwater so I don't think magseal is needed. I guess I am a little paranoid that the magseal is going to leak eventually. I would just rather not have to worry about it.

Mag seal can't leak. It's impossible.

The excess can weep a bit but you can't spinn the handle fast enough to get it to leak to the point it's innefective.

What causes problems with it...And nobody admits it. They use line conditioners or wd40 or what not. And that doesn't play well with it.

it is an industrial sealing technology. What we fisherman use it for is easy peezy.
Additionally on most mag sealed reels it's below the rotor.

I've fished one of mine under water for hours....ZERO maintenance......never touched the bearings.....when i serviced it..I just took it apart and put it back together........it was flawless inside. (saltiga 4000h.)

I've serviced a few others....and experimented with differnt ferrofluidic sealing materials. Some close to 100$/ ML or something nuts like that.
The stuff works....jsut don't buy the cheap stuff made from vegetable oil as replacement.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 pm

DaisyZillion wrote:
In my experience the mag seal oil becomes thick after a year or so and affects performance, I have noticed this more prevalent in spinning reels making the feel tight.

I've seen some old mag seal reels with this issue. But not used in fw...and generally only saw issues after saltwater trips when salt away sprays are used.

And when i serviced it. I started off with the mag seal...and it didn't change..it was emulsified grease in teh side plate bearings.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
DaisyZillion wrote:

I've seen some old mag seal reels with this issue. But not used in fw...and generally only saw issues after saltwater trips when salt away sprays are used.

And when i serviced it. I started off with the mag seal...and it didn't change..it was emulsified grease in teh side plate bearings.

I've serviced an 8000 Expedition and 7000 Dogfight with the same issue, mag seal oil above the pinion/AR bearing gets thick like grease and creates friction making the reel feel tight to wind, full clean out and reapplication of mag seal oil and we're away.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 am

ScoobyDoo wrote: I've fished one of mine under water for hours....

How does one fish a spinning reel under water?
Do you mean in rain?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:29 am

Bronzeye wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote: I've fished one of mine under water for hours....

How does one fish a spinning reel under water?
Do you mean in rain?
Really?
(the rain is the only thing that was used to rinse the reel off :) )

Stand waist or chest deep. Tuck butt between legs and wind when swell comes.
Use it as a wading staff.
Tuck the butt between your legs when in deep water. When releasing fish
Swim out to a rock
get knocked off said rock
skish
take one on the chin a jetty

The sole reason VS, ZB, Penn Torque, Penn Slammer III's were designed the way they were. And to a lesser extent the Newer Spheros, saragosa, TP sw, stella sw and o8 sw (i've fished gosas and stellas underwater and they remained trouble free. They just don't like sand as much as a VS)
Possibly the most commonly discussed topic on StripersOnline.

Saltiga SAZ's could be used the pretty much the same. The new saltiga was an expermiment. Xeno Hromin buried his saltiga in the sand. I javelined mine out 30'

I wouldn't recommend everyone fish the saltiga underwater as it's primary duty. But it does. I tore it down towards the end of the season...It was so pristine i just moved the grease around. I left the mag sealed bearings alone...ANd just replaced it at the top. (only because i was experimenting with a new ferrofluidic seal)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am

DaisyZillion wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
DaisyZillion wrote:

I've serviced an 8000 Expedition and 7000 Dogfight with the same issue, mag seal oil above the pinion/AR bearing gets thick like grease and creates friction making the reel feel tight to wind, full clean out and reapplication of mag seal oil and we're away.
I know "your mileage may vary"
is true with every mass produced product. I also respect your personal experiences. I've read of the same thing happening elswhere on the interwebs....I also know of quite a few Saltiga Dogfights and expeditions sold second hand which used amazon 20$/ ounce ferrofluid from magic kits.
In my experience. It is a direct result of oils or chemicals contaminating the fluid. Not saying it's impossible. but I've been in more than a few. And the ones that were gummy were sprayed with corrosion preventors and salt away type sprays.