Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Post by Hennessy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 am

Imo, the metanium vs chronarch is basically the equivalent of comparing the steez vs zillion. And everyone clearly knows the difference between those two. Its almost like shimano made the chronarch too close to the metanium, considering their price points. I haven't held the chronarch yet but considering features on paper and the few comparisons so far, metanium mgl sales will be down. Ive seen the chronarch mgl xg as cheap as $240 & free shipping and the yen is dropping so the met mgl is right at $300. Im needing a topwater reel mainly for spooks & sammys but will be throwing a whopper plopper alot, which is a moving bait & having the brass gears may be better. So at this point, still undecided.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon May 01, 2017 6:06 am

DavidSA wrote:I appreciate this thread. I put the Met MGL through its paces last week and it is a reel (pun intended) winner. I'm able to use the same brake settings I do on my older 13 Mets which is 1 brake ON and external dial. I cast head on into heavy wind with little issue. Smooth as glass and long even with no cleaning of spool bearings. I'd be hard pressed not to buy this over the Chronarch unless I was using it for moving baits.
Why do you guys prefer the Met over the Ch for bottom contact baits ?

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon May 01, 2017 6:16 am

Pegasus wrote:
DavidSA wrote:I appreciate this thread. I put the Met MGL through its paces last week and it is a reel (pun intended) winner. I'm able to use the same brake settings I do on my older 13 Mets which is 1 brake ON and external dial. I cast head on into heavy wind with little issue. Smooth as glass and long even with no cleaning of spool bearings. I'd be hard pressed not to buy this over the Chronarch unless I was using it for moving baits.
Frame material...Magnesium reels are considered more sensitive than reels made of a composite material. Magnesium reels have a more connected feel whereas composite reels can often have a "hollow" feel to them.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 am

I fish with my fluoro over my reel hand index finger and use graphite rods. I can feel a tick no matter which reel I use.

Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jawa Caster » Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi all.. I have some question regarding chronarch mgl.. Its is normal during cast have spool bearing sound?? Or im just buying a defect reel?

Sorry for bad english

Malaysian shimano user here

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Jawa Caster wrote:Hi all.. I have some question regarding chronarch mgl.. Its is normal during cast have spool bearing sound?? Or im just buying a defect reel?

Sorry for bad english

How bad of sound? There may always be some noise, but it shouldn't be horrible.

You can always had a couple drops of oil to the bearings, dab some oil on a Q-tip and run it around the break track. See if that helps some.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 am

papabassin wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Frame material...Magnesium reels are considered more sensitive than reels made of a composite material. Magnesium reels have a more connected feel whereas composite reels can often have a "hollow" feel to them.
exactly, and this not something I read on the internet thus it was true. I started with a CI4+ and really liked it. Fished it for several months then added a 13Met. The first night out with the Met something was different. The next night I had the CI4+ and Met on same rods, same 30# braid and same lure side by side pulling jigs over chunk rock. The Met clearly gave me info the CI4 did not. Tested it for several nights. Then tested the Met vs. fully alum reels like a E7. Same result.

How much of a difference??? in hands of holder I guess. same thing can be said about the NRX vs GLX rod.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue May 16, 2017 10:24 am

I wish they just used brass in the met mgl because the weight savings is hardly worth it IMO. Admittedly I haven't had any issues yet, but brass gears should make it smoother and more durable. Has anyone had to replace their met gears?

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Post by fishermun » Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 am

I have '13 mets, MGL's, CI4+, and recently obtained a Chronarch mgl. I have been using my Mets for moving baits, figured with the new Ch mgl it should be a good replacement. It is definitely an improvement over the Ch CI4+, smooth and feels good. For me, it will not be taking the place of the Mets, I was hoping I could save a few bucks over the Met mgl, but the Met is just that fine of a reel, IMO the Ch mgl can't touch the '13 met let alone the Met mgl. YMMV

Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jawa Caster » Wed May 17, 2017 12:38 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
Jawa Caster wrote:Hi all.. I have some question regarding chronarch mgl.. Its is normal during cast have spool bearing sound?? Or im just buying a defect reel?

Sorry for bad english

You can always had a couple drops of oil to the bearings, dab some oil on a Q-tip and run it around the break track. See if that helps some.
Do know how to tell, sometime very noise sometime less noise.. Already done drop oil to the bearing... Tommorow i will cast with friends, if they complaining about the sound, its a problem on stock bearing maybe...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 am

Jawa Caster wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

Sorry for bad english

Do know how to tell, sometime very noise sometime less noise.. Already done drop oil to the bearing... Tommorow i will cast with friends, if they complaining about the sound, its a problem on stock bearing maybe...
Someone on another thread suggested a loose spool pin might be causing the noise.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:06 am

Cal wrote:
Kurt L wrote:I looked at that review but it did not specify if the reel in the photo was an XG or a 6.4, I have a Met 13 HG and for what it's worth the gears have held up excellent
I think I fished standard and HG.. in anycase, the gear material will be the same between different retrieve ratios. They won't put brass in one and aluminum in the other :)
Daiwa will though :lol:

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

Quick question-why is the chronarch mgl recommended as a freshwater only reel, while the met mgl is listed as fine to use in saltwater?

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

breamtim wrote:Quick question-why is the chronarch mgl recommended as a freshwater only reel, while the met mgl is listed as fine to use in saltwater?
I'd post this in the shimano support section and see what answer you get.

Hope this hasn't already been discussed and I missed it.

I've read some speculations as to why but an official answer would be nice.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:01 pm

jpd0144 wrote:
breamtim wrote:Quick question-why is the chronarch mgl recommended as a freshwater only reel, while the met mgl is listed as fine to use in saltwater?
I'd post this in the shimano support section and see what answer you get.

Hope this hasn't already been discussed and I missed it.

I've read some speculations as to why but an official answer would be nice.
You know why :lol: