Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 am

mark poulson wrote:
I'd give up .3 oz to have brass gears all day long.
I'll 2nd that sir!

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 am

mark poulson wrote:
paulito wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:Finally... someone came up with this thread. I have a MET MGL in 6.x.x I have a lot of hours on it last year, I was using it for all my moving baits.. squarebills, jerkbaits, spinners. etc... I love it.

This year I am adding another moving bait rod to my collection and since this is TT I cant just use 1 reel, a new rod means a new reel to go with it lol been really thinking if I want to try the Chro MGL or stick with what I know and love and get another Met MGL??!?!
I'd go met mgl for since it weighs less. But the brass gears of the chronarch.... shoot dilema dilema!
I'd give up .3 oz to have brass gears all day long.

Wen you put it that way, it does sound good lol

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 am

Does the Met. 13XG have brass gears or am I totally confused? I think the 13 and MGL share same part number, there is a post about that but I do not remember the ratio it referred to.

Kurt

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 am

Kurt L wrote:Does the Met. 13XG have brass gears or am I totally confused? I think the 13 and MGL share same part number, there is a post about that but I do not remember the ratio it referred to.

Kurt
Sometimes, it pays to look at the reviews we write: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanometanium2013.html ;)

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 am

Cal wrote:
Kurt L wrote:Does the Met. 13XG have brass gears or am I totally confused? I think the 13 and MGL share same part number, there is a post about that but I do not remember the ratio it referred to.

Kurt
Sometimes, it pays to look at the reviews we write: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanometanium2013.html ;)

Cal,
Color me blind, but I can't find where the gear material is mentioned in the Met. MGL review. It is mentioned in the Chronarch MGL review, where it's called out as brass.
I read the review you posted here twice, and I still can't find it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:09 am

mark poulson wrote:Cal,
Color me blind, but I can't find where the gear material is mentioned in the Met. MGL review. It is mentioned in the Chronarch MGL review, where it's called out as brass.
Ah maybe that's why ... no worries Mark but that's also why I included the photo in my response above... it's an aluminum gear. Most Mg reels have this for weight savings.
Cal, Managing Editor

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 am

Cal wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Cal,
Ah maybe that's why ... no worries Mark but that's also why I included the photo in my response above... it's an aluminum gear. Most Mg reels have this for weight savings.
Thanks Cal.
I thought it looked like aluminum in the photo, but I wasn't sure.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am

Cal wrote:

Kurt

I looked at that review but it did not specify if the reel in the photo was an XG or a 6.4, I have a Met 13 HG and for what it's worth the gears have held up excellent, I have caught a lot of Salmon on it and it's still buttery smooth (I hope I just didn't jinx my self!) but I do clean and lube it regularly. I'm thinking a MGL XG is in my near future...

Kurt

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:34 am

Kurt L wrote:I looked at that review but it did not specify if the reel in the photo was an XG or a 6.4, I have a Met 13 HG and for what it's worth the gears have held up excellent
I think I fished standard and HG.. in anycase, the gear material will be the same between different retrieve ratios. They won't put brass in one and aluminum in the other :)
Cal, Managing Editor

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 am

Cal wrote:

Kurt

I jus noticed the chronarch mgl got a slighter better score than the '13 metanium [-(

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

the original CI4 scored quite well and I think of the guys that post here regularly that only JBCrankbait and myself felt any love for the CI4. As best I can tell, most guys are turned off by the feel of the CI4 material in some way. Given the material does not change much or at all in the Chronarch MGL, it will be interested to see who is singing the praises in 6 months :lol:

While the brass gear thing is great, I've not had any issues with the 13Mets. Fishing the CI4 side by side with the 13Met, same line, same rod, and same plastic/weight I can say without doubt and factually as my hand felt it that I like to bottom bounce with the Met more then the CI4 material. For throwing a chatterbait, I prefer the CI4.

where the chronarch MGL has me thinking is in upgrading some of my cranking reels that are 6:x ratio's. If its smoothness approaches the Met MGL and if the braking system is solid as the Met MGL, then this has my interest.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 pm

With regard to the spools:
1) are they the same (interchangeable)? If not,
2) do they weigh the same?
Cheers Michael

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I played a while with chronarch mgl side by side with chronarch ci4+ in store last night. As free spinning handle and spinning spool testing, chronarch mgl feels much longer and better(smoother) comparing with chronarch ci4+.

I didn't feel that much amount improvement when I compared side by side between Metanium mgl and 13 Metanium.

And when I compared Metanium mgl with chronarch mgl last night, I felt chronarch mgl is smoother and more comfortable(lighter?) in hands(defect Metanium mgl?).

Have anyone owned both Metanium mgl and chronarch mgl? Do you feel the same way chronarch mgl is smoother? Maybe because of brass gears in chronarch mgl?

I was trying to do switching spool testing between chronarch mgl and chronarch ci4+. But unfortunately I was stopped by staff in store... :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

Thanks.
Last edited by alafly on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"North" of America...

robster80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robster80 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Question: why do some of u prefer the chronarch mgl with your moving bait setups over say the met mgl or 13 met? Asking becuz im gonna order either a Met MGL or Chronarch MGL for a moving bait setup -keitechs,small cranks,etc. Should i go Chronarch?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 am

in theory the brass will hold up longer. that said, I think my preferred cranking reels may be alum so go figure.