Light spoon and jig casting - centrifugal or magnetic?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Light spoon and jig casting - centrifugal or magnetic?

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 pm

I plan to get a finesse baitcaster for throwing light spoons and jigs about 3/16oz and I'm not sure which brake system is more effective for this kind of application. AFAIK,
centrifugal: for heavy or high-velocity lures that cut through the air nicely
magnetic: for lightweight lures with a lot of air resistance that lose mid-air momentum quickly
But these spoons and jigs are light AND they retain momentum excellently at the same time so I'm confused :?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Light spoon and jig casting - centrifugal or magnetic?

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:36 pm

As long as you get a reel with a light spool, I think you will be fine and that you should go with what you prefer. Personally, I slightly prefer reels with centrifugal brakes, which in my hands make it easier to make the soft/short and precise casts that I have to make in my finesse fishing. If you are going for distance, maybe the braking system is of less import. Overall, I have many reels (>10) from Daiwa, Shimano and ABU that can handle lures around 3/16 oz. I am happy with all of them. Depending on your budget, I think you should consider a newer gen. Alphas or Aldebaran.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Dalleinf wrote:If you are going for distance, maybe the braking system is of less import.
Personally I like the concept of magnetic brake but I heard it's more prone to backlash at that initial phase of a cast, even with something like Daiwa's variable inductor system. And yes, I will be river fishing for trouts and smallies so I do need distance to cover a lot of water without wading too deep into the currents.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 pm

I prefer magnetic brakes for BFS. I have used the T3 Air, SS Air, Alphas Air and, 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for magnetic brakes and the 12 and 15 Aldebaran BFS, 15 Aldebaran (regular) with KTF spool for centrifugal brakes.

I am able to cast farther/easier with the centrifugal brakes with no wind or the wind at my back. The magnetic brakes shine then there is wind. I do enjoy the AIR reels when it comes to short range stuff. I can leave the brake settings alone for the most part. I can pitch with the AIR system better. The best part is immediately after a pitch, I can whip out a cast and not touch the brakes.

I know people have their preferences.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Spoons are basically little casting weights for reels. You aren't going to run into trouble so I will go with centrifugal to maximize the distance.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 pm

ccass wrote:I prefer magnetic brakes for BFS. I have used the T3 Air, SS Air, Alphas Air and, 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for magnetic brakes and the 12 and 15 Aldebaran BFS, 15 Aldebaran (regular) with KTF spool for centrifugal brakes.

I am able to cast farther/easier with the centrifugal brakes with no wind or the wind at my back. The magnetic brakes shine then there is wind. I do enjoy the AIR reels when it comes to short range stuff. I can leave the brake settings alone for the most part. I can pitch with the AIR system better. The best part is immediately after a pitch, I can whip out a cast and not touch the brakes.

I know people have their preferences.
I assume you usually throw plastics with your BFS setup? I agree the magnetic would the choice of weapon in that case but I'm gonna be using metal lures most of the time and they are not affected by the wind as much as soft plastics are.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 am

I have reels from all the bfs manufacturers with all their varying styles of brakes and spool weights. slinging for distance the best reels are ones I've bought an aftermarket spool with centrifugal brakes. Strangely I can't see much difference between my heaviest aftermarket spool (yumeya bfs) and my lightest (avail 0918). In casting ability. Both are very forgiving compared to the mag braked reels. You can run them on the ragged edge of spool control and be perfectly fine, can't really say that about the mag braked reels, particularly the Revo LTX. I'd recommend getting an Aldebaran 50 and yumeya bf's spool if you have the money.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 am

Double post
Last edited by Bootytrain on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 am

If chucking and winding then I'm opting for a centrifugal brake reel or a dual brake with mag off. If I'm getting fancy such pitching, skipping baits or even UL I'm going to opt for magnetic brakes preferably Air Brake but Magforce Z/V is really good too.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Simple truth it doesn't really matter with a spoon...you could cast it with only use of the main brake. If you're casting into wind a lot and using less aerodynamic lures then Mag breaks are going to be the ticket.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Thx guys.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 am

IAY wrote:Spoons are basically little casting weights for reels. You aren't going to run into trouble so I will go with centrifugal to maximize the distance.
Why do centrifugal brake reels cast further than magnetic brake reels? Serious question. Not being argumentative. I use dual braking (gold colored Carbonlites) and magnetic braking (TD-Z 105H and Pixy) to cast 3/16 oz. Shad Raps a fair distance. I read all the time how good Shimanos are for light lures...especially with the Yumeya spool (which I've never used) yet I'd rather grab a Diawa than a Shimano for light lures. I feel I do better with the Carbolites than my 51Es....and one has upgraded bearings and has been tuned. :(

Is it because I learned on magnetic brake reels and over half my reels are magnetic only?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
IAY wrote:Spoons are basically little casting weights for reels. You aren't going to run into trouble so I will go with centrifugal to maximize the distance.
Why do centrifugal brake reels cast further than magnetic brake reels? Serious question. Not being argumentative. I use dual braking (gold colored Carbonlites) and magnetic braking (TD-Z 105H and Pixy) to cast 3/16 oz. Shad Raps a fair distance. I read all the time how good Shimanos are for light lures...especially with the Yumeya spool (which I've never used) yet I'd rather grab a Diawa than a Shimano for light lures. I feel I do better with the Carbolites than my 51Es....and one has upgraded bearings and has been tuned. :(

Is it because I learned on magnetic brake reels and over half my reels are magnetic only?
I have nothing scientific to back up my claim, just tons of on the water experience from having Shimano and Daiwa reels. I feel like the Shimano breaks heavily at the beginning of the cast when the spool is fastest, and tapers breaking down when you don't need the breaks, giving me extra reach in a cast.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 am

IAY wrote:
new2BC4bass wrote:

I have nothing scientific to back up my claim, just tons of on the water experience from having Shimano and Daiwa reels. I feel like the Shimano breaks heavily at the beginning of the cast when the spool is fastest, and tapers breaking down when you don't need the breaks, giving me extra reach in a cast.
Yep, thats how centrifugal brakes work. They 'cut in' and then 'cut out' which helps to keep the peak RPM from cresting above the rate at which the bait is taking line as the spool rapidly accelerates and as the spool slows the brakes subdue. Great for long distance casting but less than ideal in scenarios where control at low RPM is desired.